The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Annie72

Spoiler

some people genuinely won't be fat; i for one am tbh im not remotely underweight but some will be and still have body dysmorphia thinking theyre fat youre right
it's so nice to know you care so much annie hun :hugs:
Reply 761
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
well uni is not that away at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!
omg do not overdose. you have come so far already im sure you got good grades last year
stop beating yourself up please. :hugs:

i didn't do well at all last year compared to my GCSEs i know that AS is harder but i was eating 3 pots of babyfood a day last year and not functioning awfully well :/
thats so sad to hear but still im sure with hard work itll pay off and remember everything happens for a reason ive hit rock bottom but im hopefully slowly but surely climbing my way back up i promise you no matter how low it gets there is some light :hugs:
please at least know there are people here for you
also join the depression society theyre very supportive in there and will help you too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown:
Reply 763
Original post by Annie72

Spoiler

yeah its nice to know that not everyone is judgemental and some people actually do understand its not a choice and stuff even without going through it themselves

Spoiler

Reply 764
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
thats so sad to hear but still im sure with hard work itll pay off and remember everything happens for a reason ive hit rock bottom but im hopefully slowly but surely climbing my way back up i promise you no matter how low it gets there is some light :hugs:
please at least know there are people here for you
also join the depression society theyre very supportive in there and will help you too!!!!!!!!!!!!! :frown:

yeah i hate admitting to having these problems, like eventhough i had therapy and have been told by doctors friends and teachers its still a big thing to admit because it feels like once you actually say it you can't take it back :frown:
Reply 765
I had an eating disorder but it was more to do with a drinking problem.
Original post by squiff93
its just weird to end on point number two its weird i can't do it, feels wrong...

and i don't feel bright i feel stupid, if i was bright i would have spent the whole of today revising instead of being sick and then just feeling **** about it feeling guilty and hurting myself ....

i'm just going to **** up all my chances tomorrow because i'm first going to fail english then maths, the idea of eating tomorrow seems so out of the question i'm going to have like no energy and do the whole writing stuff that doesn't make sense and writing things i don't mean, putting words in the wrong order and writing the same word like 3 times in a row .....

Can't you stretch to just eating something tomorrow? I had an english exam last week and was so out of energy but my english meant more than food- I knew I could compensate at another time but I didnt want to have to re-do english. Just try eat- u may hate it but at least u wont have to eat afterwards? Good luck! :smile: (P.S. I know it is easier said than done but it is deff worth it!!!)
Hi guys,
I haven't read through this whole thread coz it's so long but was relieved to find such a down to earth realistic thread about eating disorders.

I've had anorexia since i was 15 so 4 years now, i can't believe it's been so long, i mean i've been in and out of treatment but that's how long me "demons" have been there.

To cut a long story short I always felt fat and became a very high achiever academically and eventually go fed up with hating my body. I also had lost weight during puberty and felt so much better so thought i would lose more to feel even better, but i never stopped and things got worse.

I was reading some of your descriptions on how numbers rule your lives and realise that even though i thought i was coping much better, i'm still very much in the grip of anorexias commands. I weigh everything excessively, including myself! I admire your strength, especially the person who started this thread. I just think you seem a really warm person. :smile:

I'm starting uni inseptember and although i will relish the freedom part of me is scared i could get very ill, as i'm currently balancing my weight on a knife edge (not too far above needing intensive treatment). Any ideas for uni would be appreciated :smile: x
Reply 768
Original post by Sugarcandy
Can't you stretch to just eating something tomorrow? I had an english exam last week and was so out of energy but my english meant more than food- I knew I could compensate at another time but I didnt want to have to re-do english. Just try eat- u may hate it but at least u wont have to eat afterwards? Good luck! :smile: (P.S. I know it is easier said than done but it is deff worth it!!!)

i don't know i was considering taking omega 3 tablets for the placebo effect, i'm so scared of eating, because then i might be sick and then ill feel so **** through both exams :frown: there is also NO point at all in me turning up to the maths exam
I know this is slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the BMI range is for someone aged 15?
Reply 770
I know this is slightly off topic, but does anyone know what the BMI range is for someone aged 15?

i thought that the bmi range was the same for all ages ?

Spoiler

Oh, :hugs: - please don't think this. You're not weak, but you're fighting an uphill battle; the higher your ED climbs, the more slippery the slope gets and the further you have to fall. Do you know what that makes you? Strong. Strong, because you’re having to fight something that’s constantly at your mind. Strong, because you’re going against something you previously adhered to.

Ignore BMI. Fundamentally it's inaccurate due to how it doesn't factor in muscle to fat ratio, body fat percentage and bone structure etc. You are not fat. And eating 500 calories + a day would not make you fat. It's a hard thing to accept - but it's the truth. Please don't think like this - overdosing and not eating - they are not the answer. Go into that exam with a clear head: eat something small beforehand so you have enough energy, but something small enough that you are not constantly worrying over it (porridge is stodgy, perhaps this is why you get so anxious? Something light might be better - a quick granola bar or something). You will do well in this exam; you've been working hard and it's less a matter of revising at this point in time, by all means revise, but don't beat yourself up if you feel you’re not up to it. You probably already know a lot of the content (more than you realise), it's just a matter of not panicking too much in the exam and keeping a cool head.

:hugs: :penguinhug: :jumphug: I'm sure you'll be okay, and I wish you the best of luck - for everything.
Original post by harri_d92
Hi guys,
I haven't read through this whole thread coz it's so long but was relieved to find such a down to earth realistic thread about eating disorders.

I've had anorexia since i was 15 so 4 years now, i can't believe it's been so long, i mean i've been in and out of treatment but that's how long me "demons" have been there.

To cut a long story short I always felt fat and became a very high achiever academically and eventually go fed up with hating my body. I also had lost weight during puberty and felt so much better so thought i would lose more to feel even better, but i never stopped and things got worse.

I was reading some of your descriptions on how numbers rule your lives and realise that even though i thought i was coping much better, i'm still very much in the grip of anorexias commands. I weigh everything excessively, including myself! I admire your strength, especially the person who started this thread. I just think you seem a really warm person. :smile:

I'm starting uni inseptember and although i will relish the freedom part of me is scared i could get very ill, as i'm currently balancing my weight on a knife edge (not too far above needing intensive treatment). Any ideas for uni would be appreciated :smile: x

Have you had therapy? I am in much the same position as you- have suffered from anorexia for the last 3 years and have been through about 10 psychologists- every time I said 'never again' yet every time someone managed to persuade me to go back and I am glad they did because, otherwise, you are alone in this battle. However bad I thought the other 10 were, I realise it was probably me- they cant all have been bad- my ED was telling me they were bad! I know it is easier said than done but you really need to find someone who trusts you. This forum is great- I just joined as well and have found it really refreshing to know that (unfortunately) there are people like me who are going through exactly what I am going through but we aren't as good as the experts. I always told myself I knew better but it isn't true. You sound like you are at a really dangerous spot and recovery is vital especially at such a crucial moment in your life- uni means exams and these exams will count for the rest of your life. If you are not eating, as I am sure you know by now and don't need me to tell you, you will not be performing at your best. Please do this thing for yourself. I wish someone had told me the same thing! Good luck. You can do it!!! :smile:
Reply 773
yeah its nice to know that not everyone is judgemental and some people actually do understand its not a choice and stuff even without going through it themselves

Spoiler

Spoiler

i don't know i was considering taking omega 3 tablets for the placebo effect, i'm so scared of eating, because then i might be sick and then ill feel so **** through both exams :frown: there is also NO point at all in me turning up to the maths exam

There ISSSS a point in turning up to the maths exam!!!! You MUSTT!!! Just try and eat something- I know it will probs make you feel **** afterwards but these exams clearly mean something to you- it is one day and then you can fast all you like!!! I believe in you!!
i thought that the bmi range was the same for all ages ?

No, not at all. Adults are a higher than teenagers and I am fed up of people saying that I should be one thing when, in fact, this isn't right for my age!!! ;(
Reply 776
Original post by Lily Academia
Oh, :hugs: - please don't think this. You're not weak, but you're fighting an uphill battle; the higher your ED climbs, the more slippery the slope gets and the further you have to fall. Do you know what that makes you? Strong. Strong, because you’re having to fight something that’s constantly at your mind. Strong, because you’re going against something you previously adhered to.

Ignore BMI. Fundamentally it's inaccurate due to how it doesn't factor in muscle to fat ratio, body fat percentage and bone structure etc. You are not fat. And eating 500 calories + a day would not make you fat. It's a hard thing to accept - but it's the truth. Please don't think like this - overdosing and not eating - they are not the answer. Go into that exam with a clear head: eat something small beforehand so you have enough energy, but something small enough that you are not constantly worrying over it (porridge is stodgy, perhaps this is why you get so anxious? Something light might be better - a quick granola bar or something). You will do well in this exam; you've been working hard and it's less a matter of revising at this point in time, by all means revise, but don't beat yourself up if you feel you’re not up to it. You probably already know a lot of the content (more than you realise), it's just a matter of not panicking too much in the exam and keeping a cool head.

:hugs: :penguinhug: :jumphug: I'm sure you'll be okay, and I wish you the best of luck - for everything.

thankyou :smile: i may aswell go into the exam and attempt it anyway, and yeah i think your right about the porridge stodge thing, but at the moment everything feels stodgy like i feel weird inside all lumpy and just ickky if i eat stuff, probably why 2 rice crackers this morning threw me over the edge and RUINED MY DAY completely.

hopefully i'll get a decent night sleep tonight, weigh myself tomorrow and it will hopefully be acceptable and help me through the exam - again pretty stupid idea but if i don't know i think i'll get anxious aswell...

tomorrow morning maybe i'll eat, i'm really not sure about it though, i'm thinking omega three tablets might do the trick instead of actual food

thanks, i will try and get through this, i'll try to be stronger to be honest i think that once my exams are over i'll start being able to focus on changing my mindset so its not quite so ****ed up i know that my body and mind has deteriorated over the exam period tbh
Reply 777
Original post by ily_em

Spoiler

Spoiler

No, not at all. Adults are a higher than teenagers and I am fed up of people saying that I should be one thing when, in fact, this isn't right for my age!!! ;(

Spoiler

Reply 778
There ISSSS a point in turning up to the maths exam!!!! You MUSTT!!! Just try and eat something- I know it will probs make you feel **** afterwards but these exams clearly mean something to you- it is one day and then you can fast all you like!!! I believe in you!!

thanks :smile: they do mean something to me, although i've gone so down hill over the past 2 years, in AS i was predicted an a/b in A2 my teacher predicted me a b and right now he was like hmmm if you carry on in the same way you are you'll get an E.

i only have myself to blame i haven't been able to face school this year, i haven't been able to get out of bed i've felt to depressed and just down, i feel a failure compared to everyone else so just didn't want to be seen ....

i've done it to myself its just hard now because i know that i still have to turn up to these exams eventhough its gna be so disheartening

xx
thanks :smile: they do mean something to me, although i've gone so down hill over the past 2 years, in AS i was predicted an a/b in A2 my teacher predicted me a b and right now he was like hmmm if you carry on in the same way you are you'll get an E.

i only have myself to blame i haven't been able to face school this year, i haven't been able to get out of bed i've felt to depressed and just down, i feel a failure compared to everyone else so just didn't want to be seen ....

i've done it to myself its just hard now because i know that i still have to turn up to these exams eventhough its gna be so disheartening

xx

If it is any consolation, you never asked for this to happen to you. Yes, you can't blame any one else but you also cant' blame yourself. Beating yourself up over this is definitely not going to help you. I am sorry that things have been going downhill and I wish there is more I could do apart from listen and empathise with you. If you get an E (which I hope you don't), you don't have to write it down on any forms later on in life but at least if you take it you have a chance. You will only regret it otherwise. Either way, you are NOT a failure and this is NOT your fault. Please always remember this!!!!
xx

Quick Reply

Latest