Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    That's the spirit! :hugs:
    ^I agree. If you don't go, Toto will go ninja on your ass/ not be v. amused.
    (Original post by squiff93)
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    God, my relationship with food is bad. I was in a supermarket, hungry and spent money on junk food. That'd be absolutely fine if I didn't know that I will end up finishing it all over the next sort of 24 hours :sigh: I just wanna be normal with food...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    ^I agree. If you don't go, Toto will go ninja on your ass/ not be v. amused.
    i'm planning to go this time definately

That's the spirit! :hugs:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Destroyviruses)
    It must be something emotional, why dont you take some time out to kinda listen to yourself.
    take sometime as in get out of the house? I've been alone in the house for past two days and I will only get to see family and friends in 3days...I'm scared I will keep doing this until I am "monitored" by my family...

Will binge eating make me gain weight? What if I starve myself in the next few days? Will that help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    God, my relationship with food is bad. I was in a supermarket, hungry and spent money on junk food. That'd be absolutely fine if I didn't know that I will end up finishing it all over the next sort of 24 hours :sigh: I just wanna be normal with food...
    if i think i can get there then i definately think you can. you've come a LONG way already!

why don't you try to normalise junk food as a treat and only eat it when your around other people, that way you can't go overboard? or put it in boxes and allow yourself a certain amount as a treat daily, that way your less likely to crave it a lot and binge because its not like your ever going to feel like you have long to wait and therefore need to stock up on it while you can.

i don't know just some suggestions?

alternatively is there any medical advisor you could talk to about the fact that your eating habits are not entirely 'normal'

xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Omgsugar185)
    take sometime as in get out of the house? I've been alone in the house for past two days and I will only get to see family and friends in 3days...I'm scared I will keep doing this until I am "monitored" by my family...

Will binge eating make me gain weight? What if I starve myself in the next few days? Will that help?
    starving makes it worse. Trust me.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I've had weeks where half of that week I've ate and average of 500cals a day. Nearly fainted on the wed afty. Devoured a slice of fruit cake in order to construct a coherent sentense in english, my brain was completely scrambled by this point, constantly kept being asked 'Are you ok, you look so pale'. Spent the rest of the week eating a redic. amount of food.

ReputationRep:

starving yourself will make you lose weight short term but you will have 2 options,

die or gain it back.

by starving yourself your going to have no social life, get no happiness from life, feel like ****, **** up your relationship so much with food that you couldn't eat even if you wanted to.

or you could starve yourself for a few days, then realise its too hard, then binge, you'll gain the weight because starving yourself will have slowed your metabolism, you didn't want to gain, so its back to starving yourself.

maybe you'll purge whatever you eat, that'll hurt your insides, your teeth will become weak and sensitive, you'll start to faint and feel dizzy all the time, you can't leave the house because your in so much pain, maybe you'll even start throwing up blood.

starving yourself starts a cycle that becomes physically impossible to get out of, yes maybe you'll lose weight but you'll also lose friends, your social life, your health, your dignity and all the hopes and dreams you had for the future.

so why start when you have the choice?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squiff93)
    starving yourself will make you lose weight short term but you will have 2 options,

die or gain it back.

by starving yourself your going to have no social life, get no happiness from life, feel like ****, **** up your relationship so much with food that you couldn't eat even if you wanted to.

or you could starve yourself for a few days, then realise its too hard, then binge, you'll gain the weight because starving yourself will have slowed your metabolism, you didn't want to gain, so its back to starving yourself.

maybe you'll purge whatever you eat, that'll hurt your insides, your teeth will become weak and sensitive, you'll start to faint and feel dizzy all the time, you can't leave the house because your in so much pain, maybe you'll even start throwing up blood.

starving yourself starts a cycle that becomes physically impossible to get out of, yes maybe you'll lose weight but you'll also lose friends, your social life, your health, your dignity and all the hopes and dreams you had for the future.

so why start when you have the choice?!
    No, the thing is I am ALREADY in this cycle, has been suffering from it for a year now and its relapsing again. I binged for the past two days and I purged a little but not enough to equate and I am going completely mental and depressed so I'm seeking for help here. I know the consequences and this helpless situation but I am alone and I need some advice...

ReputationRep:
    No, the thing is I am ALREADY in this cycle, has been suffering from it for a year now and its relapsing again. I binged for the past two days and I purged a little but not enough to equate and I am going completely mental and depressed so I'm seeking for help here. I know the consequences and this helpless situation but I am alone and I need some advice...
    advice for what?

advice to get better - stop trying to starve yourself and seek help.

advice for starving yourself i don't think you'll find on this thread, its pretty obvious how to starve yourself, but the 'thinner' body you may or may not achieve doesn't make you happy, your goals will get lower and lower making it the unachievable goal, when you realise nothing is 'safe' anymore no-one really understands and your making up excuses of why you can't go out you'll probably wish you tried to stop while you could.

because you can, your thinking about things logically, so stop and look at yourself, do you really need to lose weight, is it worth it, is there any hurry? do you have friends? do you have a social life?

starving yourself has horrible horrible sacrifices so please stop and think while you can

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aemiliana)
    :console: I'm terrible at food shopping too... I went to sainsburys today to get some food for the rest of the week and left with a bottle of water. Water!!?!?!?! I can get that out of a tap!

ReputationRep:
    :console: I'm terrible at food shopping too... I went to sainsburys today to get some food for the rest of the week and left with a bottle of water. Water!!?!?!?! I can get that out of a tap!
    Lol I've done that before and you leave thinking 'Wtf... I didn't even want this." :confused:

ReputationRep:

No it won't. Make a healthy diet plan that youu can manage and stick to that and binge on fruit if you feel like binging and drink lots of water. Hopefully youre in the north so water tastes good !

All the best.

xxxxxxx

ReputationRep:
    Squiff, heed the advice of the people on here. It's all absolute sense and should be followed!

Unfortunately I have been told that every ED-sufferer never really "unlearns" the habits; you'll always know the calories, fat, sugar of what you're eating and be aware of it. But the positive aspect is that you will look at it in a different way. See the nutrients as less of an enemy and more of a commodity.

It's a terrifying thought, sure, but you need to recover ASAP... even knowing the negatives.
    XXX

ReputationRep:
    Toto, how are you doing yourself?

I am pretty pissed off right now, I am on holiday with my daughter who's own personal ED is to not eat mon-fri and to b/p at weekends and she is missing out on so much the fruit and veg here is amazing and I just wish she would allow herself to enjoy it. Unfortunately she just see's this as her eating pattern and nothing to worry about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morrisman)
    Toto, how are you doing yourself?

I am pretty pissed off right now, I am on holiday with my daughter who's own personal ED is to not eat mon-fri and to b/p at weekends and she is missing out on so much the fruit and veg here is amazing and I just wish she would allow herself to enjoy it. Unfortunately she just see's this as her eating pattern and nothing to worry about.
    Can she not even bring herself to eat fruit and veg? Personally I was always able to eat vegetables because they are so low in calories - maybe if you made her a very small plate of chopped fruit and vegetables she might be able to? I don't want to sound patronising, I know you've tried so hard already, but it's such a shame

I have big news, I just had a bacon sandwich! The whole concept of bacon sandwiches is a massive deal for me - I haven't eaten bacon in... 5 years? and as far as I can remember I've never had actually had a bacon sandwich, I've always chickened out. The whole combination of white bread, animal fat, meat, ketchup... it's everything I'm most afraid of, but this morning I was really hungover, my brother was cooking bacon and instead of hiding in my room with all the windows open (out of the whole mental paranoia of absorbing calories by smelling fatty foods) I went downstairs and made one for myself!

Toto, I really can't thank you enough for this - I literally sat there thinking about what you wrote somewhere at the start of this thread, about thinking 'if a 'healthy' person were in my situation, would they eat this? Yes. Would they feel guilty? No. Am I eating more than they would eat? No, I'm still eating less' - and that was what made me eat it. I didn't manage the whole thing, had about half, and it feels sooo heavy in my stomach I'm writing this to distract myself but I've kept it down so far and I'm literally so happy with it I want to dance around lol Genuinely would never, ever have done this had it not been for this thread so thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kebabbi)
    x
    :banana::banana2::elefant::groovy:

Wohoooooo!!! What a massive step forward! Well done i'm so so happy for you, you should feel really really proud of yourself xxx

ReputationRep:
    :banana::banana2::elefant::groovy:

Wohoooooo!!! What a massive step forward! Well done i'm so so happy for you, you should feel really really proud of yourself xxx
    Thank youu dancing banana gifs is definitely how I feel right now lol how are you doing today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kebabbi)
    Thank youu dancing banana gifs is definitely how I feel right now lol how are you doing today?
    Ok thank you Feeling very energised today :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Yay for a bacon sandwich!

Unfortunately nothing solid is allowed, I offered to make a lovely fresh fruit smoothie but no go, what worries me is her heart can't be doing too good, and she is living off Coke, coffee and hot chocolate, faaar too much caffeine, and with only 4 hours sleep a night she is thinking of sleeping pills which worries me.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thank you Feeling very energised today :yep:
    :hugs:

YAY to Kebabbi! :jumphug:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.