Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Antiaris)

Question, how did people pick what they were gonna study? How did you know that subject 'was for you'. Struggling a little picking a new Uni course. :bee2:

P.S. I know the Smiley was random, but it was just so darn cute.

I chose mine because of my ED.
    I was sent to IP in 2008 for my ED and I pretty much loved the nurses. They were so kind and I wanted to be a kind person. I took up some work as a carer to get experience to apply to nursing school and found that I actually had more of an interest in adult nursing than MH nursing so I am apply to that. I may consider MH nursing again later on but for now I think to avoid trigger and do a degree which I would enjoy, adult nursing is better for me.

If you are struggling to chose I suggest you do some volunteer work within areas that interest you and see which you enjoy the most. That will give you a better idea about what to do for your degree.
    Hope that helps in some way

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Chest pains to me hint more towards damage to your oesophagus than damage to your heart. Electrolyte imbalance WOULD cause heart problems but I think that pain is more related to an attack of some sort.

Darling, go see the doctor. You can request to not have the tests, but to be on the safe side I would say you should get your bloodwork done.

You shouldn't be thinking about how screwed you are with the ED. STOP. Think about how you will get better. Thinking about the ED itself IS the issue because then you're not even thinking about recovering because your thinking about the ED issues. I know how difficult it is to do this but distract yourself when you get ED thoughts.

I can't really give more advice, currently struggling a little http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1605712myself but won't go too far into it. YOU are the important one in this post.

So proud of people here!

Aem, you are doing brilliantly in all aspects! God, do I feel jealous.

Question, how did people pick what they were gonna study? How did you know that subject 'was for you'. Struggling a little picking a new Uni course. :bee2:

Also how many Harry Potter fans on this thread? And how many are going internally crazy!

Spoiler:
    Show

I CAN FEEL MY CHILDHOOD DRIFTING AWAY...
    I've been watching the premiere livestream all day but the only reason I was watching it was to see Darren Criss and Joe Walker- I'm more of a Starkid fan than I am a massive HP fan. The last book disappointed me. I never really watched the films.

About uni, I've always known I wanted to do English. I originally wanted to be a doctor but then I got ill and messed up my AS levels and realised I hated medicine and the whole profession and went back to English. The CW part only happened when I was in IP and realised writing was pretty much saving my life and I'd always done it and wanted to get better at it. Then I went to a few workshops and remembered how much I loved writing and it was such an amazing feeling to be told that I was actually good at it and so I applied to universities to do English with Creative Writing but really, the only place I wanted to do it at was UEA.

ReputationRep:
    I'd wanted to study ancient history since I was 7 (geeky, geeky kid). However year 10-12 I was trying to study the subjects etc to apply for medicine! Eventually I realised that I hated science and history was what I loved and found easy, ancient especially so. Then started the begging to get on a one year history course...

---

This is like the 3rd time this week I've eaten until I feel sick. I don't know if I'm actually eating more or if what I'm eating since coming home is generally smaller so larger meals make me feel fuller? I don't know... I really hope it's the latter, because if it's the former then I have a whole new crazy food issue that I need to address - eating loads without even realising.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Chest pains to me hint more towards damage to your oesophagus than damage to your heart. Electrolyte imbalance WOULD cause heart problems but I think that pain is more related to an attack of some sort.

Darling, go see the doctor. You can request to not have the tests, but to be on the safe side I would say you should get your bloodwork done.

You shouldn't be thinking about how screwed you are with the ED. STOP. Think about how you will get better. Thinking about the ED itself IS the issue because then you're not even thinking about recovering because your thinking about the ED issues. I know how difficult it is to do this but distract yourself when you get ED thoughts.

I can't really give more advice, currently struggling a little myself but won't go too far into it. YOU are the important one in this post.

So proud of people here!

Aem, you are doing brilliantly in all aspects! God, do I feel jealous.

Also how many Harry Potter fans on this thread? And how many are going internally crazy!

Spoiler:
    Show

I CAN FEEL MY CHILDHOOD DRIFTING AWAY...
    Ooh I cannot wait til 15th July! :woo: Although I know what happens already, that is what you get for reading the books but still argh! so excited but also slightly apprehensive about it finally concluding ;_;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    :hugs:

YAY to Kebabbi! :jumphug:

I'm going into hospital tomorrow (not for ED reasons, I'm having surgery) but in the meantime :hugs: to you all and thank you so much for all the support on here, it's incredible really Usually I would have used surgery as an excuse not to eat for a good few days beforehand, either from nerves or by extending the 'don't eat past midnight on the day' rule to excess, but this time I've been fine and I must say, I feel a lot better for it!

So anyway, won't be on here for a while but massive good luck to everyone! We will beat this pooey piece of poo! xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kebabbi)

I'm going into hospital tomorrow (not for ED reasons, I'm having surgery) but in the meantime :hugs: to you all and thank you so much for all the support on here, it's incredible really Usually I would have used surgery as an excuse not to eat for a good few days beforehand, either from nerves or by extending the 'don't eat past midnight on the day' rule to excess, but this time I've been fine and I must say, I feel a lot better for it!

So anyway, won't be on here for a while but massive good luck to everyone! We will beat this pooey piece of poo! xxx
    So proud of you! :jumphug: Best of luck with the surgery- nothing major I hope? Take care of yourself and I wish you a speedy recovery!
    xxxx

Spoiler:
    Show

I can't really give more advice, currently struggling a little myself but won't go too far into it. YOU are the important one in this post.
    i knew i wanted to do something vocational but also scientific. so it was between dentistry/medicine or pharmacy! the former two went down the pan when missed out on A in biology. but no worries.i learnt dentists are depressed which wouldnt help my situation and tbh teeth bore me- i did get an offer for a hygiene course but didnt even consider it and didnt attent interview either which shows ya lol - medicine i realised i just couldnt do that im too cringy of blood / people/ germs etc in that sense so pharmacy seems key for me ideal and i feel fine doing that lots of job prospects too.
    childhood drifted a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preciousillusions)
    Hey guys,

I have had an account at TSR for years but hadn't visited for a long while. ...
    Seriously no replies at all? (page 55) Way to make someone feel paranoid .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotSoCool.Fly)
    i knew i wanted to do something vocational but also scientific. so it was between dentistry/medicine or pharmacy! the former two went down the pan when missed out on A in biology. but no worries.i learnt dentists are depressed which wouldnt help my situation and tbh teeth bore me- i did get an offer for a hygiene course but didnt even consider it and didnt attent interview either which shows ya lol - medicine i realised i just couldnt do that im too cringy of blood / people/ germs etc in that sense so pharmacy seems key for me ideal and i feel fine doing that lots of job prospects too.
    childhood drifted a long time ago
    You're kidding me!

I was doing a pharmacy course earlier this year! In UEA. Found that the University was brilliant, but the course just didn't match what I wanted... from life. I found pharmacy to be too... stifling. I've talked to too many pharmacists who say that whilst it pays the bills they regret going in for it as they found it so uninspiring.

It's the type of subject I'd say where you need a passion for it. I struggled too much with the course pretty much being training to be a shop manager.

Spoiler:
    Show

Saw the mental health nurse today and my application is being pushed through! Gonna see a psychologist too when things sort out in the service. Had my first 'check', where in she weighed and height checked me. She wants blood work done too, especially after I told her how my lips and fingernails turned blue after the gym. I know it's Raynaud's and I also know it isn't helped by some genetic stuff I have. (I have super stretchy skin and can bend in unnatural ways)

This all is in the spoiler tags due to me including stats;
    Height; 176cm, Weight; 8stone 2 pounds (with clothes and belt. I actually weighed this morning AFTER breakfast and I was 8 stone. :s )
    Therefore BMI of 16.4. Male, if people didn't know.

Talked to her about some of my family issues, etc. Felt good to get stuff out. My problem is that I kinda... implode instead of letting everything out.

At least I figured out why I've been getting leg cramp and fatigue and mood swings, etc. Checked to find online that it meant B12 deficiency but I find it kinda strange that my body knew what it needed as I've been getting massive Marmite cravings. Guess the body and Marmite are mysterious things.

I'm a lover, not a hater.

It's been really inspiring reading about how people picked their courses. It's almost like you simply stepped up to... callings. Not. Intimidated. At. All.

:lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys, I am new to the student room so sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. In the past few months my relationship with food has really changed, I used to love food but for about 4 months I have been going through phases of still eating and feeling fine about it but then long periods of time of making myself sick after pretty much everything I eat because I feel so terrible and guilty for eating it. I have really struggled with a levels recently and also found some family stuff out which I wasn't supposed to know and nobody knows that I do know. I just dont really know what to do I am unsure if this is just a phase because of this and now its the summer things will settle and to just go along with things or not. Because of it my weight is really up and down, I lose quite a bit during the times of being sick but then pile it all back on again when I feel okay about eating. Sorry if this makes no sense. Im so tired and its all just a bit stressful and I'm not really sure what I should do. Sorry :/ Thanks. x

ReputationRep:
    For the past five days, I've eaten four meals every day.
    Scary, but progress :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souldoubt)
    Hightothefive. Well done!

ReputationRep:
    Your honesty and positivity to beat anorexia is not only an inspiration to myself but to everyone else who can relate to this and by opening up you've really moved a lot of people. Well done to you, your words certainly struck a chord with me and I'm glad I read this thread tonight. Keep us posted on how you're doing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebee)
    Hey guys, I am new to the student room so sorry if this is in the wrong place.
    I was wondering if anyone could help me. In the past few months my relationship with food has really changed, I used to love food but for about 4 months I have been going through phases of still eating and feeling fine about it but then long periods of time of making myself sick after pretty much everything I eat because I feel so terrible and guilty for eating it. I have really struggled with a levels recently and also found some family stuff out which I wasn't supposed to know and nobody knows that I do know. I just dont really know what to do I am unsure if this is just a phase because of this and now its the summer things will settle and to just go along with things or not. Because of it my weight is really up and down, I lose quite a bit during the times of being sick but then pile it all back on again when I feel okay about eating. Sorry if this makes no sense. Im so tired and its all just a bit stressful and I'm not really sure what I should do. Sorry :/ Thanks. x
    do you have any friends you could tell? my friend was the one who dragged me to the doctor and i don't know where i'd be if she hadn't.

you need to try to get to the cause of it, like why the food is making you feel guilty then i reckon it'll be possible to change your mind and realise that you didn't feel guilty before and theres no reason you should feel guilty now. i know that a lot of people use food as a tool to treat or punish themselves but don't view it this way, see it as fuel, you need it to live and function normally - why would you feel guilty for eating then?

you've said its recent, so adress it while you can and while it's under control.

try and think of activities which you enjoy that you could use to distract you from feelings of guilt - for example if you play an instrument when you feel guilty play it instead of being sick its much more productive trust me.

all of these things are easier said than done, but you've noticed you have a problem, and i'm sure you don't want it anymore so you need to do the right things to change.

also is it your body you feel guilty about or just food and all things seperate from your body?

probably not that great advice but i tried
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    your brilliant!!! well done

xxxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    Hightothefive. Well done!

(Original post by squiff93)
    your brilliant!!! well done

xxxxx
    Thank you so much

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much
    Custard will be so pleased And so will Toto and the rest of the nutters who post on here.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much
    no problem, so happy for you such an achievement

xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squiff93)
    do you have any friends you could tell? my friend was the one who dragged me to the doctor and i don't know where i'd be if she hadn't.

you need to try to get to the cause of it, like why the food is making you feel guilty then i reckon it'll be possible to change your mind and realise that you didn't feel guilty before and theres no reason you should feel guilty now. i know that a lot of people use food as a tool to treat or punish themselves but don't view it this way, see it as fuel, you need it to live and function normally - why would you feel guilty for eating then?

you've said its recent, so adress it while you can and while it's under control.

try and think of activities which you enjoy that you could use to distract you from feelings of guilt - for example if you play an instrument when you feel guilty play it instead of being sick its much more productive trust me.

all of these things are easier said than done, but you've noticed you have a problem, and i'm sure you don't want it anymore so you need to do the right things to change.

also is it your body you feel guilty about or just food and all things seperate from your body?

probably not that great advice but i tried
    xxx

Well I really want to tell my boyfriend, but I am so afraid of telling him. I don't want him to worry or over react.

And its not really my body its more like the seperate things that are happening and being sick has helped me deal with things, almost like its taken my mind of whats really happening and makes me feel better.

And I don't play an instrument or anything like that. I have started walking and listening to my ipod while im walking which I find really relaxing and gets me out of the house which is nice!

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pheebee)
    Well I really want to tell my boyfriend, but I am so afraid of telling him. I don't want him to worry or over react.

And its not really my body its more like the seperate things that are happening and being sick has helped me deal with things, almost like its taken my mind of whats really happening and makes me feel better.

And I don't play an instrument or anything like that. I have started walking and listening to my ipod while im walking which I find really relaxing and gets me out of the house which is nice!

Thank you for your help. I really appreciate it x
    no problem happy to

after you eat try if you can to go for a walk, it'll remind you why you eat - so you can physically walk and if it calms you down by the time you get in maybe the feelings of guilt will have passed.

definately tell your boyfriend if you can, its so useful to have support and if you explain it properly i'm sure he'll understand. also not telling him means he won't understand if you ever seem moody or bothered by stuff so really telling him may stop him over reacting.

if it's other things then maybe try to use other methods to solve your stress which won't harm you. it may take a bit of trial and error to find what works for you, but dealing with stress calmly and well is always useful and stress shouldn't make you hurt yourself! by 'coping' with your stress this way your not actually coping with it, your just giving yourself another thing to feel stressed over. good distraction maybe but if you never cope with the original problem then this one won't be able to go away

ha turned a bit bull****ty sorry

xxxxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.