Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    The thing is, I'll eat all the choccie that comes with the easter egg fairly soon, because its all nicely portioned and I know if someones nicked a bit, but if i open an easter egg, crack it into bits and stick it in a bowl in the fridge, mum/dad/ my sister/ the dog etc will help themselves.
    Same again! Yesterday I asked my sister if she wanted a bit and told her, "I'll just leave it in the fridge". An hour later half the egg's gone >_<

ReputationRep:
    The thing is, I'll eat all the choccie that comes with the easter egg fairly soon, because its all nicely portioned and I know if someones nicked a bit, but if i open an easter egg, crack it into bits and stick it in a bowl in the fridge, mum/dad/ my sister/ the dog etc will help themselves.

(Original post by Riku)
    Same again! Yesterday I asked my sister if she wanted a bit and told her, &quot;I'll just leave it in the fridge&quot;. An hour later half the egg's gone &gt;_&lt;
    Ugh, I know what you mean. Anyone else get bizarrely possessive about food though? My brother always points out that it takes me so long to buck up the courage to actually eat chocolate that it always ends up all white and flaky and gross, so it does seem logical that he should eat it instead... but I still get so annoyed when other people eat my food! :rolleyes:

My easter eggs usually last like a day, or a week max... I have loaaads at a time, then I bring them back up I just can't resist the taste of chocolate!

ReputationRep:
    Just managed to eat noodles with fried courgette and onion with a piece of salmon in black bean sauce. I'm trying so hard to eat well but then I don't know if that's too much. Im scared and shaking but I should be happy, I think, its an achievement right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squiff93)
    Just managed to eat noodles with fried courgette and onion with a piece of salmon in black bean sauce. I'm trying so hard to eat well but then I don't know if that's too much. Im scared and shaking but I should be happy, I think, its an achievement right?
    :yep: well done! Black bean sauce is bloody tasty as well.

Something I've been having recently when I get too overwhelmed is 'eggy strips'. It's basically a single-egg omlette - whisk up an egg and a bit of grated cheese in a mug, season it and fry it in an omlette pan, then cut into strips and dip in ketchup. I usually get freaked out by frying food (something about that smell) but this is so light you don't even notice. Plus I find cutting it into strips comforting, it's like eating toast soldiers (no coincidence I read the recipe in a magazine article about cooking for young children...) I know it's not exactly nutritious and salmon noodles would be way better (and tastier) but it's better than nothing if you start to find it difficult

ReputationRep:
    Can't have anything sweet and then stop - cannot stop. So it's no deserty things at all

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    Can't have anything sweet and then stop - cannot stop. So it's no deserty things at all
    how about if you plan it - like say every friday i can have a ...... and choose something thats portioned in a small pot so the portion feels controlled? that way if you do have something it's planned and you intended to so your not 'giving in' or 'failing' which is what your ed will always try to tell you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kebabbi)
    :yep: well done! Black bean sauce is bloody tasty as well.

Something I've been having recently when I get too overwhelmed is 'eggy strips'. It's basically a single-egg omlette - whisk up an egg and a bit of grated cheese in a mug, season it and fry it in an omlette pan, then cut into strips and dip in ketchup. I usually get freaked out by frying food (something about that smell) but this is so light you don't even notice. Plus I find cutting it into strips comforting, it's like eating toast soldiers (no coincidence I read the recipe in a magazine article about cooking for young children...) I know it's not exactly nutritious and salmon noodles would be way better (and tastier) but it's better than nothing if you start to find it difficult
    that sounds like something i'm going to try i like the idea of cooking my meals at the moment rather than just eating a load of rice crackers with philadelphia or something it feels more propper and like a start in adopting a more normal way of eating.

i run out of meal ideas though i'm so used to eating safe and samey kind of things so its just nice to have a change and try to enjoy the taste of a meal rather than think about it's calorie value....

grilling things is always good i might start finding things to grill i attempted cherry tomatoes today, turned into a mushy mess but still tasted alright at least....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kebabbi)
    Ugh, I know what you mean. Anyone else get bizarrely possessive about food though? My brother always points out that it takes me so long to buck up the courage to actually eat chocolate that it always ends up all white and flaky and gross, so it does seem logical that he should eat it instead... but I still get so annoyed when other people eat my food! :rolleyes:
    Yes. I do. I've got a bag of German haribo in my rucksack, that I've not told anyone at home about, because they're MINE. Going to be fun when I find them in my bag whilst looking for something else,probably my calculator, end up going Oooh, haribo. Then everyone in my room in the sixth form block,will want one, and theres about... 12 of us in there. One can't eat them because she's Veggie and another just doesn't eat. One small 0.80€ bag of haribo will not last very long if that happens.

ReputationRep:
    i really dont know how i feel about this meal anymore - i keep getting scared that it was unhealthy and there were hidden fats somewhere in it, maybe i put too much oil or sauce etc etc ....

trying so hard to eat sensibly but i don't know what that is anymore ..... eventhough i know the calorie value more than non ed people i still like to add more onto everything which makes everything seem bad and scary

ReputationRep:
    i really dont know how i feel about this meal anymore - i keep getting scared that it was unhealthy and there were hidden fats somewhere in it, maybe i put too much oil or sauce etc etc ....

trying so hard to eat sensibly but i don't know what that is anymore ..... eventhough i know the calorie value more than non ed people i still like to add more onto everything which makes everything seem bad and scary
    Squiff, it wasn't unhealthy. The noodles give you energy, and are yummy. The courgette and onions are veg, and the salmon has these fancy things that are good for your brain.

ReputationRep:
    Squiff, it wasn't unhealthy. The noodles give you energy, and are yummy. The courgette and onions are veg, and the salmon has these fancy things that are good for your brain.
    i guess it can only get easier - had a little cry about it but it's alright now

ReputationRep:
    i guess it can only get easier - had a little cry about it but it's alright now
    Huggles.:hugs: god, you don't realise how much I'd like to hack the top of your head off and get rid of the horrible voice thats in there. And Hug you. Lots. Admittedly I'd do that to everyone on here.

ReputationRep:
    Huggles.:hugs: god, you don't realise how much I'd like to hack the top of your head off and get rid of the horrible voice thats in there. And Hug you. Lots. Admittedly I'd do that to everyone on here.
    awh thanks :jumphug: i've been eating a hell of a lot better recently the voice is either getting weaker or more sensible.

had an appointment with the nurse today and it went pretty well - made me realise how much easier life is when i'm a bit more laid back, although i avoided going up to the blood test room for the third time in a row so next time i go i'm going to get SLAUGHTERED by the doctor which i deserve a little bit but i just hate them and i'm so worried about it because they always through up some kind of problem.

ReputationRep:
    awh thanks :jumphug: i've been eating a hell of a lot better recently the voice is either getting weaker or more sensible.

had an appointment with the nurse today and it went pretty well - made me realise how much easier life is when i'm a bit more laid back, although i avoided going up to the blood test room for the third time in a row so next time i go i'm going to get SLAUGHTERED by the doctor which i deserve a little bit but i just hate them and i'm so worried about it because they always through up some kind of problem.
    XD. Blood tests don't hurt, or atlest don't hurt me. getting blood pressure done hurts like a mofo though. :/ Surely its better for you to get it done and it say 'Oh dear, squiffy is missing a toe' then they can fix it? Than wander around without this toe and then you end up really,really poorly because this toe is missing?

I might end up having ****loads of blood tests done the next time dad drags me to the doctors cos i'm starting to bruise really easily again & not remember how I've done it. And when i get a bruise, its stays for a good 4-5 weeks or so.

Hope you get the A2 results you need

ReputationRep:
    XD. Blood tests don't hurt, or atlest don't hurt me. getting blood pressure done hurts like a mofo though. :/ Surely its better for you to get it done and it say 'Oh dear, squiffy is missing a toe' then they can fix it? Than wander around without this toe and then you end up really,really poorly because this toe is missing?

I might end up having ****loads of blood tests done the next time dad drags me to the doctors cos i'm starting to bruise really easily again & not remember how I've done it. And when i get a bruise, its stays for a good 4-5 weeks or so.

Hope you get the A2 results you need
    ah thanks i hope you get good AS results!

and awh that isn't good i'll get mine when you get yours

i feel like if i carry on eating right my periods will beome regular again anyways so i don't need their help on that and at the time i got asked to take the blood test i was being sick all the time which thankfully now i'm not so any problems should have sorted themselves out, right ?

ReputationRep:
    ah thanks i hope you get good AS results!

and awh that isn't good i'll get mine when you get yours

i feel like if i carry on eating right my periods will beome regular again anyways so i don't need their help on that and at the time i got asked to take the blood test i was being sick all the time which thankfully now i'm not so any problems should have sorted themselves out, right ?
    Squiffy, I'd still let them take your blood just to double check.
    I don't think I should google health problems.
    ''What are some less common causes of bruising, and what do they indicate?

The terminology describing different types of bruising often refers to not only their appearance but also to their cause. Petechiae refer to very small, 1- to 3-millimeter accumulations of blood beneath the skin. These can appear like multiple tiny red dots on any part of the body (most commonly the legs). Most often these are multiple, and they can suggest that there is serious health problem present. Examples of these are an infection of the valves of the heart (endocarditis) or abnormal function of the blood-clotting elements (platelets). Bruising around the navel (belly button) can be a result of bleeding within the abdomen. Bruising behind the ear (Battle's sign) can indicate that there is a skull fracture. Lastly, bruises that are raised, firm, multiple, and occur without any injury can be a sign of various types of "autoimmune" diseases (diseases in which the body attacks its own blood vessels). Each of these should be evaluated by a health-care practitioner.''

Fantastic. I'm going to die.

ReputationRep:
    Squiffy, I'd still let them take your blood just to double check.
    I don't think I should google health problems.
    ''What are some less common causes of bruising, and what do they indicate?

The terminology describing different types of bruising often refers to not only their appearance but also to their cause. Petechiae refer to very small, 1- to 3-millimeter accumulations of blood beneath the skin. These can appear like multiple tiny red dots on any part of the body (most commonly the legs). Most often these are multiple, and they can suggest that there is serious health problem present. Examples of these are an infection of the valves of the heart (endocarditis) or abnormal function of the blood-clotting elements (platelets). Bruising around the navel (belly button) can be a result of bleeding within the abdomen. Bruising behind the ear (Battle's sign) can indicate that there is a skull fracture. Lastly, bruises that are raised, firm, multiple, and occur without any injury can be a sign of various types of "autoimmune" diseases (diseases in which the body attacks its own blood vessels). Each of these should be evaluated by a health-care practitioner.''

Fantastic. I'm going to die.
    might sound hypocritical but i think you should go ASAP to the doctor and get the blood test, surely it's better than worrying over what it could be. If it's serious the doctor can help you find a way to get better and if it's okay it'll give you peace of mind, win win.

i hope your okay!! :console: your to lovely to be ill

ReputationRep:
    might sound hypocritical but i think you should go ASAP to the doctor and get the blood test, surely it's better than worrying over what it could be. If it's serious the doctor can help you find a way to get better and if it's okay it'll give you peace of mind, win win.

i hope your okay!! :console: your to lovely to be ill
    I'm alright, apart from bruising really easily, and getting myself in a tizzy over AS results.

ReputationRep:
    Occam's Razor - "The simplest solution is often the correct one."

I say this as I used to freak myself out rotten when I found out that my weird pee colour is a symptom of cancer of the liver and I'd convinced myself I had a terminal illness when in reality my ED had just kicked the **** out of my immune system and I had a kidney infection... again.

Our minds play tricks with us and especially with an ED we tend to try to divert our minds from the real issues; burying our head in the sand from the ED and making up new forefront issues.

I for example, have (much like our Squiffy here) been in recovery and have developed something of a dependence on alcohol to dumb my anxieties down enough to tell myself to eat. The unfortunate aspect of this is that it gets to late in the night, I've had a couple of beers, then go nuts and have two huge bowls of cereal instead of eating more frequent, proper meals throughout the day.

Whether the crutches are physical or mental, we build them for ourselves... as coping mechanisms, as mental diversions, as a means to shield our mind from the problems at hand and give new focus.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.