The Student Room Group

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice.

Scroll to see replies

Wow, I'm amazed how having a good night/conversation with people can take my mind off food! I restricted until the evening but when I started talking to people and being random etc I just ate and ate like a normal person :h: No purging either, I am rather proud :proud:
Reply 1601
Original post by Anonymous
Wow, I'm amazed how having a good night/conversation with people can take my mind off food! I restricted until the evening but when I started talking to people and being random etc I just ate and ate like a normal person :h: No purging either, I am rather proud :proud:

That's awesome, you should be! Distraction in this form is probably one of the best methods to combat disordered eating thoughts as it makes you remember there's a world out there beyond the illogical numbers game we force ourselves to play. Just remember that you don't have to prove anything to anyone else just because you're in company, eat what feels right for you at the moment and don't deny yourself : )
Original post by NotSoCool.Fly
you managed the whole thread in two days?:p: it's an impossible feat for me :p:
im a lover and enemy of food too

welcome to the thread merjambes

I'm well versed in distraction techniques, especially when I can't sleep! Yay for periodic insomnia! :smile:
Original post by Amwazicles
What's leechblock?

(I'm lurking in this thread from now on..)

it's this programme that you can set to stop you going on particular websites, at particular times. So you could tell it to only allow you on facebook for 15 minutes every hour, or to block you from TSR between 1600-1900 every day etc.
Original post by .snowflake.
it's this programme that you can set to stop you going on particular websites, at particular times. So you could tell it to only allow you on facebook for 15 minutes every hour, or to block you from TSR between 1600-1900 every day etc.

Oh cool :curious:
im just really upset cos seriously i have a massive love hate relationship with food that isnt healthy guys. when i binge on everything and i mean everything and take daily trips to the shops the amount of food is so excessive it's unhealthy; if i carried on that way i would be obese :s-smilie: a first in the family. it's really not good. i would literally be obese probably moribdly obese if i carried on like that it's disgusting.
I used to be the opposite. I over-ate throughout my teens, to the level of consuming entire multipacks of chocolate and crisps every day, and hiding them around my room with the hope that nobody would find them. I was too lazy - and probably too embarrassed - to take them to the bin when I was finished. I hid the empty wrappers behind my wardrobe, under my bed, behind my cabinets, in nooks and crannies all over the place. I used to keep tubs of things underneath my bed to eat when I was bored (which was essentially all the time). I did literally no exercise, had very few friends, and became continually more and more depressed, which made me consume more. At school I used to eat at least 2 or 3 sausage and bacon sandwiches every day in between classes, and had a highly calorific dinner when I got home. I also drank about 6-9 cans of full fat fizzy drinks every day. I certainly exceeded 16 stone (224lbs), with a 40'' waist, at 5'7'' height.

When I was about 16 and a half, I decided to change course on this, and began walking 2 miles every single day, and attending the gym twice a week. I radically altered my diet too, and lost over 3 stones in 3 months. Over the last 4 years I've progressed and progressed, and now I'm 20 years old, 6 foot and 13 stone (182lbs), with a 34'' waist. I go to the gym every other day, play a lot of sport, and go running on a regular basis.

I still have the stretch marks to remember it by.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 1607
Original post by Suetonius
I used to be the opposite. I over-ate throughout my teens, to the level of consuming entire multipacks of chocolate and crisps every day, and hiding them around my room with the hope that nobody would find them. I was too lazy - and probably too embarrassed - to take them to the bin when I was finished. I hid the empty wrappers behind my wardrobe, under my bed, behind my cabinets, in nooks and crannies all over the place. I used to keep tubs of things underneath my bed to eat when I was bored (which was essentially all the time). I did literally no exercise, had very few friends, and became continually more and more depressed, which made me consume more. At school I used to eat at least 2 or 3 sausage and bacon sandwiches every day in between classes, and had a highly calorific dinner when I got home. I also drank about 6-9 cans of full fat fizzy drinks every day. I certainly exceeded 16 stone (224lbs), with a 40'' waist, at 5'7'' height.

When I was about 16 and a half, I decided to change course on this, and began walking 2 miles every single day, and attending the gym twice a week. I radically altered my diet too, and lost over 3 stones in 3 months. Over the last 4 years I've progressed and progressed, and now I'm 20 years old, 6 foot and 13 stone (182lbs), with a 34'' waist. I go to the gym every other day, play a lot of sport, and go running on a regular basis.

I still have the stretch marks to remember it by.

Truly incredible. To hear of this kind of U-turn mentality is quite phenomenal and should prove inspirational to some of us who believe things are hopeless. EDs never "Die" as you cannot unlearn things, but you can use those techniques to your advantage (for example, if like me you count calories excessively, use that as a tool to increase your intake!)

Spoiler

(edited 12 years ago)
Wow, Well done Tommy! :biggrin:
I used to be anorexic (not that i realised at the time).
It all started once after i couldn't fit into size 8 skinny jeans (i was 16 years old) and i started exercising and weighing myself excessively. I started skipping breakfast and not eating a school, telling my friends that i had no money or had already eaten at break. This carried on and on..at one stage i was eating just half of my evening meal and doing 800 squats, 100 sit ups, 200 lunges and other random exercises every day. I'd also weigh myself at least 20 times per day- Safe to say i was OBSESSED.

I don't really know when i realised that all this was bad for me and stupid but somehow i did and although i still have anorexic tendencies (leaving that last bit of food..looking at my body too critically etc) i now accept that my body isn't fat despite my crazy opinions :smile: I still eat far too few calories per day but i'm definately not paranoid about it, i just don't have a huge appetite :smile: Somedays when i feel really insecure about my weight i'll put on my best jeans and tight shirt, do my hair and make up and head into town with my boyfriend - always makes me feel better (especially if my bf sees someone check me out and tells me how lucky he is to have me :biggrin:) I know that sounds vain and sad but it keeps me grounded :smile:

Hope everyone else who has had this awful illness finds the strength to get through it and be healthy again <3
Original post by Cinamon

Spoiler

Oh, for Pete's sake.

You can't lose 1 and 1/2 pounds in a day, that's water weight. There are ~3600 KCal in one pound. That would be ~5400 KCal burnt in 24 hours. On top of BMR of around 1200 that would be the equivalent of around 7 hours running WITHOUT taking in any extra calories during the day.

By trying to lose weight and restrict yourself you are denying the person that you truly are, a perfectionism that cannot accept the reality of what you are implicitly. When you go out of control with your eating you are actually letting little bits of your inner you out, the bits that want to do those things. Because you don't let enough of your inner you when you DO let your inner self out it tends to EXPLODE out in the form of a binge.

Stop bottling yourself in.
Original post by Antiaris
Oh, for Pete's sake.

You can't lose 1 and 1/2 pounds in a day, that's water weight. There are ~3600 KCal in one pound. That would be ~5400 KCal burnt in 24 hours. On top of BMR of around 1200 that would be the equivalent of around 7 hours running WITHOUT taking in any extra calories during the day.

By trying to lose weight and restrict yourself you are denying the person that you truly are, a perfectionism that cannot accept the reality of what you are implicitly. When you go out of control with your eating you are actually letting little bits of your inner you out, the bits that want to do those things. Because you don't let enough of your inner you when you DO let your inner self out it tends to EXPLODE out in the form of a binge.

Stop bottling yourself in.

It's not all water weight and I didn't eat but drank lots of water yesterday. And I know that's why I binged :frown:

Ugh.. I hate this more than ever :cry2:
I feel like an ass saying it, but you were being silly then.

Also drinking excess water causes cells to let go of their excess water. Water weight lost.

Eat sensibly through lots of small meals during the day. You become stupid if you starve yourself. I learnt that the hard way. I'm telling you now, just be sensible and look at yourself from an outsiders perspective.
Reply 1613
Original post by Antiaris
I feel like an ass saying it, but you were being silly then.

Also drinking excess water causes cells to let go of their excess water. Water weight lost.

Eat sensibly through lots of small meals during the day. You become stupid if you starve yourself. I learnt that the hard way. I'm telling you now, just be sensible and look at yourself from an outsiders perspective.

Antiaris is right, Cinamon. Binges occur most after long periods of unnecessary starvation because we're denying ourselves the right to eat and do what we want. Please don't do this to yourself-seriously, starvation is stupid, it's making me feel bad and I've only caught a bug!
Related to that, health anxiety's going crazy from this illness. My heart's pounding just climbing stairs and all I'm allowed to eat are these arrowroot biscuits and canned soup tomorrow. Can't even have a slice of toast with the olive spread. Aargh the salt and saturates : / is it going to make a difference in the long term?

Spoiler

Original post by Anonymous

Spoiler

None of us are healthy..... undereating and overeating are both damaging to your health. If you want to be healthy then eat everything in moderation. By the sounds of it health isn't what you want.

I don't belong here anymore. I've quit treatment and refused the transfer. I think ill be fine now. I'll probs post occasionally to see how everyone is doing.
i cant live without food.:frown: i have too much of an emotional connection to it and if i ate as big as my appetite id be obese :angry:
Reply 1617
Squiff, I personally extend all my love and support to everyone, but one thing I cannot abide is the generic "woe is me" quitter.

And I'm afraid that's what you're implying you're going to be.

Regressing into the ED bubble is akin to a kid saying "i'm going to slash my wrists!" for attention, and whether or not they do it is irrelevant; the constant variable is that the person is desperate to be cast in attentive view.

We all have EDs and we are all having hard days, but to say "That's me, I give up, woe betide, I am doomed" is like declaring you're going to jump off a bridge; something that incites hasty action from others in your favour.

Squiff, we love you unconditionally. Don't embroil yourself in these catastrophic situations in order to garner some semblance of control.

We are here for you regardless of scenario, so try to get better for christ's sake.
Nah it won't be like that. I'm not going to post about myself I've got it sorted out in my head and this is a new leaf or whatever feels like I have left my ed behind because yeah I have control. I'll be fine!!
control is paramount/ especailly in ones mind//

Quick Reply

Latest