Turn on thread page Beta

Eating Disorders and life with one - Discussions, Opinions, Advice. watch

ReputationRep:
    Here is perhaps an unsuitable-for-some speculation based around being an unhealthily low BMI for males that perhaps may seem embarrassing to some, but to me it's simply a touch saddening.

Spoiler:
    Show

I've realised I haven't had any sexual thoughts or feelings neither physical nor emotional since I got ill. It sounds bizarre, but I genuinely haven't had so much as a *thought* about sex for almost a year now. I understand it's because your body reverse-shuts-down the organs and functions that it deems less important to survival so as to preserve more important organs, but it's incredible how I see myself as getting "so much healthier" and yet I haven't experienced so much as a norty-thought, much less an orgasm, since I got ill.

As a male in the prime of life, you just assume that it's a given that you'd be potent in this way, but in the same way that female anorexics lose their period to conserve every last droplet of energy/blood for bodily survival, loss of sexual thought or feeling is almost like being androgynised in some way.

Does anyone know around what kind of BMI I'm likely to start to... regain these functions and feelings? I don't want to become a disgusting horn-dog, but I kinda miss even the FEELINGS of attraction and desire towards a lady...

(I'm BMI 16 now).

(Original post by TotoMimo)
    Here is perhaps an unsuitable-for-some speculation based around being an unhealthily low BMI for males that perhaps may seem embarrassing to some, but to me it's simply a touch saddening.

Spoiler:
    Show

I've realised I haven't had any sexual thoughts or feelings neither physical nor emotional since I got ill. It sounds bizarre, but I genuinely haven't had so much as a *thought* about sex for almost a year now. I understand it's because your body reverse-shuts-down the organs and functions that it deems less important to survival so as to preserve more important organs, but it's incredible how I see myself as getting "so much healthier" and yet I haven't experienced so much as a norty-thought, much less an orgasm, since I got ill.

As a male in the prime of life, you just assume that it's a given that you'd be potent in this way, but in the same way that female anorexics lose their period to conserve every last droplet of energy/blood for bodily survival, loss of sexual thought or feeling is almost like being androgynised in some way.

Does anyone know around what kind of BMI I'm likely to start to... regain these functions and feelings? I don't want to become a disgusting horn-dog, but I kinda miss even the FEELINGS of attraction and desire towards a lady...

(I'm BMI 16 now).

Spoiler:
    Show
    Of course I don't know, but since 18 is a normal BMI I would suggest that this is when you can be certain of regaining your, umm, functions. Otherwise it wouldn't be deemed normal, right? But maybe it would come back slowly at 17 as well (not that you should stay there), but I'd assume it takes many months for your hormones to be at a normal level again and for your sexual organs to be producing normal amounts of sperm, to put it bluntly.
    Without sounding creepy, I am a girl ("young woman") and from your pictures you seem like an attractive young man and I'm sure once you regain your interest in women you wouldn't have a problem getting to know one

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

(I'm BMI 16 now).

I've tended to find it's not so much about weight as about how much I'm eating...I could be at my lowest weight but start eating well again and my sex drive might start to come back pretty quickly (funnily enough it seems to re-appear at the same sort of time my skin turns a better colour, less grey) whereas I could be at a high weight and stop eating and I'd lose my sex drive pretty much immediately. It'll feel so good when you get it back though because it'll be a good indicator that your body is returning to all-round general health.

On another note, it made me terribly sad last year when I got talking again to someone who used to be a sort of friends-with-benefits to me and I had to just say 'sorry...I don't want it anymore'.

ReputationRep:
    Just managed to eat most of a balanced meal, even though I didn't really want to :sad:
    but at least I'm getting there, succeeding even when I don't feel like it :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by souldoubt)
    Just managed to eat most of a balanced meal, even though I didn't really want to :sad:
    but at least I'm getting there, succeeding even when I don't feel like it :yep:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinamon)
    :hugs:
    I hope you're trying to do the same

I love you xx

ReputationRep:
    Basically I should just spoiler this whole thing.

So my periods have now officially stopped. Even though I haven't even got below
    Spoiler:
    Show
    a BMI of 18.5

Massive binge
    Spoiler:
    Show
    of over 3500 kcal in 1hr
    and no purge.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I know i'll restrict for 3 days
    I just couldn't stop it. I can't explain it I just NEEDED the food so much.

I can't get my doctor to send a medical note to uni. It just doesn't get done no matter how many times I phone. At a complete loss

I hope you're trying to do the same

I love you xx

love you need a soul hug

ReputationRep:
    Basically I should just spoiler this whole thing.

So my periods have now officially stopped. Even though I haven't even got below
    Spoiler:
    Show
    a BMI of 18.5

Massive binge
    Spoiler:
    Show
    of over 3500 kcal in 1hr
    and no purge.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I know i'll restrict for 3 days
    I just couldn't stop it. I can't explain it I just NEEDED the food so much.

I can't get my doctor to send a medical note to uni. It just doesn't get done no matter how many times I phone. At a complete loss

love you need a soul hug
    Spoiler:
    Show

my periods stopped a while ago as well meh we always seem to be going through the exact same thing >.< i know what you mean about needing the food, i'm really struggling not to have another massive binge :sigh: i love you, i know i'm never much help because i feel just as bad but at least we always seem to have our low points together :hugs: you just remember everything i've ever said to you, read through my messages again or spend some time with regina clickclick i do actually love you and miss you terribly xxxxxxxxx :suith:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

my periods stopped a while ago as well meh we always seem to be going through the exact same thing >.< i know what you mean about needing the food, i'm really struggling not to have another massive binge :sigh: i love you, i know i'm never much help because i feel just as bad but at least we always seem to have our low points together :hugs: you just remember everything i've ever said to you, read through my messages again or spend some time with regina clickclick i do actually love you and miss you terribly xxxxxxxxx :suith:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't understand it - My bmi isn't even under 18.5 (edit: it's 18.5 ish) and it stops my periods? My body can't be struggling

Gahhhh. i'm going to read through everything from the start. Miss you so much

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I don't understand it - My bmi isn't even under 18.5 (edit: it's 18.5 ish) and it stops my periods? My body can't be struggling

Gahhhh. i'm going to read through everything from the start. Miss you so much
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Same here, my body is generally quite weak anyway so i dunno :dontknow: i had an implant put in recently so ive kinda put it to the back of my mind meh :sigh: i always read our messages when im sad :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Same here, my body is generally quite weak anyway so i dunno :dontknow: i had an implant put in recently so ive kinda put it to the back of my mind meh :sigh: i always read our messages when im sad :hugs:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I can't believe who I was 2 months ago I feel like a different person. It's scary. It's so confusing because before I felt invincible, like it didn't matter because I was a yoyo in healthy weight. Now i'm terrified because very soon I will be underweight. This doesn't feel like me Especially as i'm so far from home

I do the same. We'll sort this out hun

ReputationRep:
    x
    x
    :hugs: I literally can't do much more than that.

When we finally slaughter the horrible voice(s) in our heads and we'll look back and see how strong we've been. All the ladies will be at uni, studying the thing that makes them the happiest, and doing amazingly. And Toto will be married to the most wonderful woman in the world. And DD will understand the musiceese me and Riku ended up talking in about Gilbert and Sullivan.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .snowflake.)
    :hugs: I literally can't do much more than that.

When we finally slaughter the horrible voice(s) in our heads and we'll look back and see how strong we've been. All the ladies will be at uni, studying the thing that makes them the happiest, and doing amazingly. And Toto will be married to the most wonderful woman in the world.
    :cry2:

Slowly, slowly getting there. The time between then and now is awful but yeah, it'll happen Cini and I just shared a few texts and we've both agreed we believe in eachother and we'll get there in the end :yep: We all will :hugs: :suith:

ReputationRep:
    :cry2:

Slowly, slowly getting there. The time between then and now is awful but yeah, it'll happen Cini and I just shared a few texts and we've both agreed we believe in eachother and we'll get there in the end :yep: We all will :hugs: :suith:
    Let me believe that it will happen in the next few years, tbqh, its that, or spending too much time flapping over my blasted PS. Chemistry teacher says its perfect. German teacher has ****ged it off. WHO AM I SUPPOSED TO BELIEVE!!

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm convinced I'm gonna enter cardiac arrest from potassium overdose. Got even more anxious considering I've been having stuff full of it like bananas, oranges, raisins and honey pretty much every day since the beginning of recovery. If I get scared to eat fruit again then I'm pretty screwed. I know quite often you'll all have low K levels but I'm wondering if being "super-healthy" is making me just as ill from it being too high, if anyone can help that'd be nice please
    /uni panic

Question answer by Amwazicles on Anxiety Support thread but your experience is still welcome : )

ReputationRep:
    I haven't posted on this thread for a while, mostly because when I stopped there were a lot of posts which were more "pro-ed" than recovery based, but I had to post now and say now loving and supportive everyone is. :hugs: I'm completely touched by it!

Some bad news, I'm not going to University this year. I had an appointment with the Occupational Health nurse and she deferred my place. So I have an unconditional place for 2012 which I guess is better than reapplying, but I'm still devastated because it was so last minute.

I didn't know whether to post the following, but I shall.. a girl I knew from the ED services died last Wednesday of a heart attack at 18. She wasn't even at her lowest weight. She was recovering and eating more. I know it's hard to think, but you deserve to it. It's hard to believe, but you all definitely don't deserve to die which is what it boils down to. Sorry to end that on a really depressing note, but I really want to see such lovely caring people get better! :heart:

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, Brie, that's awful. My condolences even if you weren't all that close. These things impact upon us hard. As someone who's had heart scares thanks to this b**tard illness I can safely say that age means nothing. It'll strike anyone.

Back from weigh-in and I'm about BMI 16 and 7 stone 3ish... a marginal, marrrrrginal gain! Breaking the BMI 16 barrier is a milestone for me as when I'd started recovery I was at BMI 15; a full point!!

ReputationRep:
    Oh god, Brie, that's awful. My condolences even if you weren't all that close. These things impact upon us hard. As someone who's had heart scares thanks to this b**tard illness I can safely say that age means nothing. It'll strike anyone.

Back from weigh-in and I'm about BMI 16 and 7 stone 3ish... a marginal, marrrrrginal gain! Breaking the BMI 16 barrier is a milestone for me as when I'd started recovery I was at BMI 15; a full point!!
    I know I'm coming in at the end of the thread but I genuinely hope you get better soon Totomimo <3

And you should be proud of yourself. Well done. Every point will bring you closer to happiness and love for yourself, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    My eating disorder is pretty mild, and has nothing to do with my self image really, I just cannot eat cooked vegetables or vegetables in general. However I eat far better than I used to, for a long time my diet was chocolate, crisps and coke. Of course nowadays I eat loads of apples, at least 2 every day. I rarely have proper meals though, instead preferring snacks throughout the day.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2015
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.