Turn on thread page Beta

Phobias: Do you have any? watch

ReputationRep:
    lizards *shudder*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Even images such as the one spoilered make me feel ill, eyes water, and I get the urge to vomit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    I've never heard of that phobia before, or really thought about those kind of images. But I have to say looking at it makes me a bit uncomfortable and creeped out! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Arachnophobia. And not just in an "Eek a spider!" kind of way. I'm terrified of them. I won't have windows open unless it is totally boiling in a room, in case they come in. If I see one in the house I will start shaking, can't talk, and have to leave the room or even the house immediately. Its possibly the only thing that made me think twice about living alone, but have been lucky so far.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't say I'm phobic about anything, but I've got a fear of pain (i.e. me suffering any kind of pain - i have absolutely no pain threshold ) I'm also scared of bees and wasps because I'm terrified of being stung.

Strangely, I also hate climbing unstable ladders!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    1. Thalassophobia - fear of the sea.

(Ridiculous as it may seem, googling that picture has just ran shivers down my spine!)

I am petrified of the open ocean and everything that the sea contains. Sharks, whales, rays, even seaweed!
    I love the sea. Just watching sunrise/ sunset by the sea is magical. Sailing is quite fun too! now to answer your question, I'm scared of the dark, like when it's pitch black. I can manage with just the moonlight or when I'm in movie theaters but if you put me in a room without any source of light, I start hyperventilating. I feel like I don't have any air or like I'm getting strangled.

Edit: I don't sleep with a night light tho 'cause I can see my alarm clock glowing or the glowing red dot on my tv lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    Quite a few people have trypophobia. If you don't like clusters DO NOT GOOGLE.
    I didn't understand what that was, so I Googled it.
    I think I just developed my first phobia.

Although actually, I think I might have emetophobia (fear of vomiting). Obviously noone likes chucking up. But I don't like travelling in case I suddenly develop travelsickness, throw out a lot of food out of an irrational fear it's spoiled, refuse to ever have children because I can't bear the thought of morning sickness - that kind of thing. I have a pretty cast-iron immune system, and practically nothing makes me ill. But I'm still terrified it'll happen one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Even images such as the one spoilered make me feel ill, eyes water, and I get the urge to vomit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    What's that an image of? It kinda makes me feel queasy - but I don't know why, lol

(Original post by aja89)
    Do You Have a Phobia?
    I have this thing about sharp knifes being around me when I'm not in my shoes, also I don't like things touching my wrists.

ReputationRep:
    Germs...OCD is a blast! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terpsikhore)
    I didn't understand what that was, so I Googled it.
    I think I just developed my first phobia.

Although actually, I think I might have emetophobia (fear of vomiting). Obviously noone likes chucking up. But I don't like travelling in case I suddenly develop travelsickness, throw out a lot of food out of an irrational fear it's spoiled, refuse to ever have children because I can't bear the thought of morning sickness - that kind of thing. I have a pretty cast-iron immune system, and practically nothing makes me ill. But I'm still terrified it'll happen one day.

(Original post by Architecture-er)
    What's that an image of? It kinda makes me feel queasy - but I don't know why, lol
    Not nice is it...

I'm not sure about that image, it may be a lotus flower.. in fact no it isn't but it is something similar. Very odd feeling looking at it eh? Never been able to find a real explanation of why it is disturbing, it just is.

ReputationRep:
    HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPEDALIAPHO BIA - fear of long words.

Nah, I don't really have that, but if I did, that would SO take the mick :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Just for reference, this site gives the current diagnostic criteria for a phobia (as opposed to a fear).

I have a fear of spiders which is sometimes severe enough to be classed as a phobia, but it doesn't really disrupt my day-to-day life. My Psychology lecturer made the usual distinction between a fear and a phobia as that with a fear, you'll get anxious when you're exposed to (e.g.) a spider, but with a phobia, you won't go to lectures in case there is a spider under one of the seats.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds weird but I have a phobia of busy roads, I get into a panic everytime I need to cross one & is probably because I was knocked down a few months ago but it bugs the life out of me coz everyone else just runs across the road without thinkin and I stand there til theres nothin on the road :L
    can't imagine having a fear of the sea, must be pretty horrid when you go on holiday

ReputationRep:
    height..

ReputationRep:
    woodlice and knives

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Circadian_Rhythm)
    Quite a few people have trypophobia. If you don't like clusters DO NOT GOOGLE.
    Oh my God. I have that. God just looking at the word totally disturbs me... Ewww

ReputationRep:
    I would't call it a fear exactly, but I have a strong hatred for anything that looks really weird or unnatural, I don't exactly know why though :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get people who are scared of the sea - it's lovely! Then again I do want to be in the Merchant Navy so . . . yeah . . .

Anyway, I have a fear of spiders. I'm thinking of going to the Zoological Society of London's therapy scheme to try and get rid of it, because although it's not serious when it comes to the spiders that I see most often (harvestmen and money spiders - more than happy to either let them be or just scoop them up and put them out the window) as soon as there's a huge, fast house spider around I start to feel shivers down my spine and little pinpricks all over my skin that feel like it's crawling over me! If there's one in my room, especially anywhere near my bed, then out comes the vacuum cleaner, but if it's too late at night to use it I'll just sleep somewhere else. :cry2: AAAAAAAARGH!

/cries in corner

ReputationRep:
    Giving a serious speech to a large crowd of people.
    (I would actually **** myself just so I could escape)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancelittleliar)
    must be pretty horrid when you go on holiday
    Yeah it can be quite tough when I want to go away with friends, but I usually go on city breaks rather than beach holidays, places like New York, Paris etc.

The tough part is getting there, I have to knock myself out with sleeping tablets as soon as I get on a plane because the thought of flying over the sea sends me into complete melt down! :eek:

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.