Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Telephones.

To the extent that my boyfriend put 'misundertelephobia' on Urban Dictionary.

If I can avoid it, I will never answer the phone.
    Scared of being misunderstood and it having terrible consequences which I'm unable to prevent after the phone has shut off which it could do at any time.

ReputationRep:
    Public transport, and buses in general. I keep having panic attacks on buses, which can be pretty embarrassing.

Oh, and speaking on the phone. I just avoid that like the plague.

ReputationRep:
    Leeches.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rananagirl)
    Telephones.

To the extent that my boyfriend put 'misundertelephobia' on Urban Dictionary.

I almost never (about 2-3 times a year?) answer the phone, and will only make phone calls to my dad.
    Scared of being misunderstood and it having terrible consequences which I'm unable to prevent after the phone has shut off which it could do at any time.
    Ooh, forgot about that one. Yeah I'm pretty terrified of phones - I never answer them, always let it go to voicemail, and then I'm too petrified to call back . . .

ReputationRep:
    trypophobia is creeeeeepy i googled it, the flowers n seeds were ok, i hate the oess on peoples bodies it makes me feel sick and my spine feels funny =(

ReputationRep:
    Phobia of lifts/elevators !!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Hairdressers. I know it's a strange one, but I had some really terrible experiences when I was younger involving bleeding scalps and lots of pain which have probably caused it. I get really anxious and scared when I go and despite being 19 years old my mum still has to come with me.

ReputationRep:
    yes i suffer from sever hippomonstrossesquipadaliaphobia-aaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! !!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Even images such as the one spoilered make me feel ill, eyes water, and I get the urge to vomit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Wow... I never knew anything about that..
    What kind of things do you get affected by? Is it purely looking at something or is the knowledge that its there in general as well that affects you?

I have such a massive phobia of ants its unreal, when I was around 6, I went in the garden with no shoes on and stepped in an ants nests and they went all over my body-red and black- and I screamed and screamed and screamed. Even today if theyre like in the same room as me I have to move or something!! I can't just stand or sit there near them. Also quite claustrophobic but not as bad as the ants one. When I was about 10 I was so so so scared of spots... something about them.. maybe since I had a bad chickenpox experience but they used to send shivers up and down my spine- and back up again.

By the way does anyone know the correct terminology for phobia concerning ants or insects?

ReputationRep:
    I have a phobia of bananas. I feel physically sick at the sight of them, and once they're open I panic in case they come near me. My friend used to try to throw them at me because she knew I was scared of them and I'd have to run away because I couldn't stand them touching me. Not nice.

ReputationRep:
    Slugs and Moths
    Always seems like slugs are trying to ambush me when its been raining

ReputationRep:
    I used to be terrified of fluff.

I'm cured now though.

ReputationRep:
    My worst fear is the sound of people choking, they could just cough and it terrifies me so much, I panic completely if I hear it.
    A less rational one is aubergines. My GOD are those things scary. For real, they just look evil

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo2217)
    By the way does anyone know the correct terminology for phobia concerning ants or insects?
    Fear of ants is myrmecophobia.

ReputationRep:
    MOTHS |: eurgh! in the months when theyre around, I literally have to check every corner of every room for moths before I walk in, on the hottest night of the year my window stays firmly shut so they dont get in and i cant go outside at night in moth season :/ its really annoying cause i know theyre not dangerous!

and heights too, I get dizzy in cities because of all the tall buildings and i cant cross bridges unless theyre over water and low off the ground :/ i wish i could get rid of them but i don't think hypnotherapy would work on me

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared of falling or the sensation of gravity - I don't like tall skyscrapers (in case I fall off the top/through the window/over the railings) or aeroplanes (falling out of the sky) or elevators (falling down the lift shaft).

I used to be much worse as a child - when I was 15 I had this paper round before school, one of the addresses was on the 14th floor of a tower block, and I'd use the stairs because I was too scared to get in the lift. I'd have to walk on the stairs by the wall as well so I didn't fall down the stairwell.

These days I will use an elevator (I have to for my job!) but I certainly won't enjoy it. Sometimes when I get in a lift I mentally prepare myself for dying and brace myself for the cable to snap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Fear of acts is myrmecophobia.
    Yes I know a retard before anyone says it, but could you write it likes its pronounced please?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jo2217)
    Yes I know a retard before anyone says it, but could you write it likes its pronounced please?
    Not sure if it's the definitive pronunciation, but I would say it like "mur-meck-o-phobia".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I'm not talking about having to get your Dad to squash a spider for you. :rolleyes:

I mean real debilitating, panic attack inducing, faint causing phobias. Would be interesting to see how many TSRers have unusual phobias!

I have one...

1. Thalassophobia - fear of the sea.

(Ridiculous as it may seem, googling that picture has just ran shivers down my spine!)

I am petrified of the open ocean and everything that the sea contains. Sharks, whales, rays, even seaweed!

I have no idea where the phobia stems from, I must have had a bad experience as child at the beach.

So how about you guys? Anybody have a phobia of zips?
    My ones sorts similar, I have a fear of water - not looking at it but being in it (as you can guess I can't swim ) It stems from when I was 9 , it was my first time in a swimming pool and I slipped and thought I was drowning. Everyone (even the adults) laughed at and thought I was being silly. It freaked me out :| I feel sick and shiver a little from the smell of pools. Although my fear is probably easier to overcome then yours
    What makes you so scared of the sea??

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared by scary stuff. :ahee:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.