Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure someone will laugh at this.

I am horribly, horribly phobic of stinging nettles.

Not as in "ooh it might sting a bit if one touches me", as in, 2 weeks ago I wouldn't go within 3 metres of them. The shape, texture, appearance, everything about the little green ****ers makes me very uncomfortable.

Part of it is the fact that they have very small spiked hairs on them that penetrate your skin and inject you with stuff.
    Part of it is the fact that I just dislike nature in general.

I have to emphasise that this is an actual phobia since it's not the pain I'm afraid of (I'm quite good with pain really, I had shingles and pneumonia)

See, now this post has decended into me justifying it to myself!

See this picture? Holy mother of god they are ****ing terrifying

Anyway. For a while I've been feeling bad about this fear, and the aversion to nature it has given me. So I decided to stop being a pussy about it and do something to change it.

I started slowly. About a week ago, I'd load up pictures of them on my rather large computer screen and stare at them until I was comfortable with it. Then I moved onto videos on YouTube. Eugh.
    Then, the following day, I walked up to a country lane near my house. There are nettles on either side of the lane, a low but constant coverage, which spans around a 1 metre-wide bank. My goal was to fully submerge my hand in them by the end of the day.

I was wearing walking boots and thick jeans, so I started out by approaching them. I was on the phone to my girlfriend as well which gave me a bit of encouragement, and after about an hour I could stand in them (they were only about a foot high, but understand it was incredibly difficult).
    I spent the next two hours walking up and down the banks through them. This was also incredibly difficult because I had to make the conscious decision to step in them instead of walk around them, but I managed it.

My next goal was to touch one. Jesus H. Christ this was awful, getting close to the ****ers was hard enough. What I wanted to do was just brush my hand through them in one, quick, smooth motion but every time my hand got close and I begun the sweeping motion, my hand would be drawn back automatically just as it was about to touch them

After about an hour (I'm not making these time frames up) a woman walked past with her dog. I talked to her a bit, and her knowledge of nettles was seemingly infinite. So apparently, they don't sting until they have their flowers in autumn, and these ones are still "babies" (little green ****ers thats what they ****ing are) so it was ok to touch them.

No, no it ****ing wasn't ok to touch them, it still took me another hour and a half. I could touch the centre of the leaf quite easily after a while, and after deciding to quit and go home then changing my mind and coming back a few times, I eventually did it and brushed my hand through them. I wasn't as proud of myself as I would be if I got stung, but meh it's progress

I realise now I didn't intend to type out this big story, I only meant to say I was afraid of them and post a picture :P

Oh, and some background:
    I've never actually been stung by a nettle or fallen into them or anything (I wish I had tbh), but my stepdad supposedly used to taunt me with nettles when I was a kid and pretend to throw me in and stuff, which made me avoid them like the plague for the next 10 years of my life (I'm 19 now)

ReputationRep:
    I don't really know if this is a phobia... but I get really scared at the thought of standing next to a tall building and looking up at it going up into the sky. I can't explain it, but it freaks me out so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novis)
    What makes you so scared of the sea??
    I honestly don't know, which is probably some way to explaining why I don't think I could ever overcome it.

My mother tells a story of me running out of the sea crying when I was about six, with some seaweed wrapped around my leg and shoulders. But I can't recall it happening at all. I haven't been in the sea since then though, or even on a beach for that matter.

ReputationRep:
    i fear moss more than anything.

ReputationRep:
    I have acrophobia, which is a fear of heights. It's quite bad, but I don't get panic attacks. Of course I don't know what would happen if I were out on a ledge high up a building for example.

ReputationRep:
    Spiders and small spaces.

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit of a thing about hills, wouldnt call it a phobia but steep hills make me feel sick.
    Spiders - Seems to have developed from a fear into a phobia, now when i see them my head starts to spin and I get starry eyes and feel sick, and now have to check rooms as I go in incase theres any about...pretty silly though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    Not sure if it's the definitive pronunciation, but I would say it like "mur-meck-o-phobia".
    Awesome Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared of going into water, however deep. I love being by the sea, staring out across the water, but the thought of actually getting into it terrifies me. I can't have baths, I even freak out if I step in a puddle.
    I'm fine taking a shower or being in the rain, it's something about stepping into water, being submerged in it, that I can't handle.
    The worst part is that it's a recent development - I went on holiday last year and spent pretty much every day on the beach, in the sea. Now I wonder how I ever managed it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Even images such as the one spoilered make me feel ill, eyes water, and I get the urge to vomit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ew, god! I think I have that phobia! My brother and I could never understand why stuff like that made us shiver. God, that's revolting!

ReputationRep:
    Travelling - Planes, trains, cars, motorbikes.

I blame it on final destination!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCrackMyselfUp)
    I think I'm scared of gay guys. Everyone keeps calling me Homophobic.
    I don't think you would be scared to the point of fainting though? :P

And I'm afraid of spiders, don't know why But I don't faint to them either...

ReputationRep:
    Atychiphobia, Claustrophobia, Coulrophobia, Athazagoraphobia and social phobia to a lesser extent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cezz_18)
    I love the sea. Just watching sunrise/ sunset by the sea is magical. Sailing is quite fun too! now to answer your question, I'm scared of the dark, like when it's pitch black. I can manage with just the moonlight or when I'm in movie theaters but if you put me in a room without any source of light, I start hyperventilating. I feel like I don't have any air or like I'm getting strangled.

Edit: I don't sleep with a night light tho 'cause I can see my alarm clock glowing or the glowing red dot on my tv lol
    You're not alone. I have the exact same fear of the dark. When in a dark room I feel as though I can't breathe and I panic majorly. Its a horrible feeling.

I though I was just plain weird for this haha, but at least I now know that I'm not the only one

ReputationRep:
    I have really bad emetophobia. Obviously no-one enjoys vomiting, but I am actually terrified by the idea. Most likely because I almost choked whilst vomiting as a child. I will literally do ANYTHING to avoid it, and even thinking about it makes me shake.

And horror movies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I'm.Just.Me)
    When in a dark room I feel as though I can't breathe and I panic majorly. Its a horrible feeling.
    I'm glad that's an actual phobia, because in the novel that I'm writing the main character starts hyperventilating and panicking if she's ever in complete darkness. She feels like she's suffocating, does that sound about right?

ReputationRep:
    after reading the thread
    i got shivers all over

i can't call it a phobia but spiders freaks me out :'(

and my younger sister is afraid of feathers and leaves
    and it's more like a phobia for her

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tite23)
    I'm glad that's an actual phobia, because in the novel that I'm writing the main character starts hyperventilating and panicking if she's ever in complete darkness. She feels like she's suffocating, does that sound about right?
    Spot on!

ReputationRep:
    Slugs and Snails/Anything moving that's slimey and doesn't do the world a whole load of good. It gets me all panicky, my dad used to pay me 10p for every one i went past on the walk to school when I was younger, it was that bad.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing terrifies me - but I prefer not to go on heights (like climbing a ladder) - so I guess you could call it very mild Acrophobia

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.