Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Phobias: Do you have any? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tite23)
    You're 9 years old?
    wait what? I said i've only been sick once since I was nine (month ago) clarifying that that once was the occurence last month. I'm 19 now.

ReputationRep:
    Ladelphobia - fear of ladybirds.. these evil ants freak the **** outta me and im also scared of polystyrene.. aaah gee.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Even images such as the one spoilered make me feel ill, eyes water, and I get the urge to vomit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    ugh what is that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tomato_Soup1992)
    wait what? I said i've only been sick once since I was nine (month ago) clarifying that that once was the occurence last month. I'm 19 now.
    Oh, misread it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I'm not talking about having to get your Dad to squash a spider for you. :rolleyes:

I mean real debilitating, panic attack inducing, faint causing phobias. Would be interesting to see how many TSRers have unusual phobias!

I have one...

1. Thalassophobia - fear of the sea.

(Ridiculous as it may seem, googling that picture has just ran shivers down my spine!)

I am petrified of the open ocean and everything that the sea contains. Sharks, whales, rays, even seaweed!

I have no idea where the phobia stems from, I must have had a bad experience as child at the beach.

So how about you guys? Anybody have a phobia of zips?
    i don't really have a phobia although i really hate spiders, not scared of them, just really needs to swash them when i see one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Constructions)
    Apiphobia - Fear of Bees & Wasps

Funny thing is, I've never been stung in my life because I always end up running away and screaming like a girl.
    I'm mainly scared because my Mum has a severe allergic reaction whenever she's been stung before, and I'm afraid I might have it too aha
    Me too! No one in my family is allergic
    but I think this is completely rational :yep:
    We could be severely allergic, so really we're just protecting ourselves.

ReputationRep:
    My only major Phobia is Snakes. I've never had a bad experience with a snake but it's just the look of them :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCrackMyselfUp)
    I think I'm scared of gay guys. Everyone keeps calling me Homophobic.
    No reason to be afraid ^-^ Just don't drop the soap in front of us Oh sorry, I think that reaffirms your phobia XD

ReputationRep:
    Coulrophobia-Fear of clowns. I tend to have a panic attack, cry and run away. In the charity shop where I work we've had several toy clowns put out for sale, can't go down that end of the shop and had to get someone else to take the money for it. Think the customer thought I was mad.

Cliff edges scare the bejesus out of me too. I have a panic attack everytime I see someone near the edge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ape Gone Insane)

I've got that. Is it a phobia? If it is, that's another one to add to a long list. I cannot eat in front of people. I make all sorts of excuses when friends ask me to go to lunch with them after a law lecture, there are times when I've went hungry and said I haven't felt hungry - that's how bad it is. I can, at a push, eat stuff like fries. But beyond that...

How did you get over yours?
    Yeah it's a form os social phobia:
    http://www.justbewell.com/phobia-fea...ng-public.html

It was my boyfriend that forced me to admit things were bad. Early into our relationship we went out to eat but it was a disaster because I was so particular about where to go. Naturally he was annoyed but because of how distressed I was we had a chat about it and both decided to work at curing or at least reducing my anxiety.

I think the main thing that helped was talking and thinking it through. He asked me questions like what exactly frightens me about it etc.. After a lot of reflecting we worked out that the problem stemmed from school. I guess it was the endless comments about appearance and how I act that gave me the phobia.

So yeah, even though I'll never hear the end of this when my boyfriend reads it, I have got to admit that he has been a huge part in me getting my confidence back. He's been really supportive and encouraging. It's been a slow process of starting with places I feel comfortable and gradually progressing.

I'm not fully over it - I can't eat in restaurants but at least I can go out with friends now to cafes!

(Sorry this is so long - hope it makes sense)

ReputationRep:
    im scared of heights, im lucky a live on the ground floor
    the only animal im scared of is a crocodile/alligator i haven't seen one but they scare the bejeebers out of me on them nature shows

ReputationRep:
    Mottephobia- Moths *Shudders*

Cant stand them AT ALL

ReputationRep:
    Umm.... things that can kill me? I don't like stupid people waving guns around... feels like there's a chance it will go off and kill me.

But uh... scary movies; I'm scared of those :/

ReputationRep:
    There ought to be a whole thread about the cluster phobia. It's just so revolting and weird. And I think allot more people have it than would be assumed

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what it's called, but fear of caterpillars. :afraid: Also, arachnophobia.

ReputationRep:
    Spiders and other insect type things. (Yes, a genuine phobia, despite being somewhat maligned in some posts).

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared of this guy. When ever I see this mofos face I shake.

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    Spiders and other insect type things. (Yes, a genuine phobia, despite being somewhat maligned in some posts).
    Same I hate spiders so much, I actually shiver when I see them.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Trypanophobia.

Seriously, just the thought of a needle and I feel nauseous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    bring shot is not a phobia, a phobia is being scared of something which has no danger towards you. a phobia is an irraitonal fear

i think most people would fear being shot but its not a phobia
    It was a joke

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.