Turn on thread page Beta

i have a phobia of having an allergic reaction, as in anaphylactic shock. it pretty much rules my life as i cant eat lots of foods or take medicines as im always cautious

i was offered councelling but turned it down stupidly

ReputationRep:
    I have pretty severe emetophobia. I really really dislike cars, planes and boats (especially boats - avoided at all costs!), and whenever I start to feel ill I get panic attacks because I convince myself I'm going to be sick. I'm really concious of other people, like if I go out and someone looks ill I will start to freak out. I can't go on roller coasters because even though I used to enjoy them I'm convinced that I will vomit or someone else will vomit.

I also find it quite traumatic to go to really crowded places. One of the last times I was in London a man threw up on the tube and it has made me incredibly wary. Seeing vomit on the streets also sends a little jolt into my tummy

ReputationRep:
    Glass lifts (I was trapped in one on the 43rd floor of a building when I was little) and those steps with holes in. I've never met anyone else with a fear of hole-y stairs and I don't know what the fancy name for either phobia would be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I'm not talking about having to get your Dad to squash a spider for you. :rolleyes:

I mean real debilitating, panic attack inducing, faint causing phobias. Would be interesting to see how many TSRers have unusual phobias!

I have one...

1. Thalassophobia - fear of the sea.

(Ridiculous as it may seem, googling that picture has just ran shivers down my spine!)

I am petrified of the open ocean and everything that the sea contains. Sharks, whales, rays, even seaweed!

I have no idea where the phobia stems from, I must have had a bad experience as child at the beach.

So how about you guys? Anybody have a phobia of zips?
    Falling, not heights, i can deal with rock climbing and stuff etc, but i'f im on a bar stool/tallish chair and someone knocks me i nearly bloody pass out from fear!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, no phobias, but i'd rather not be around frogs.

ReputationRep:
    Ichthoyophobia

fear of fish...

ReputationRep:
    - Wasps (I'd prefer to be in a room full of spiders/snakes/rats than to be in a room full of wasps any day)

- Saliva that isn't mine (Even seeing other people snogging makes me cringe)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calumcalum)
    Spiders and other insect type things. (Yes, a genuine phobia, despite being somewhat maligned in some posts).
    How many Eton students in your year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nation)
    How many Eton students in your year?
    No idea...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Superlogon)
    Travelling - Planes, trains, cars, motorbikes.

I blame it on final destination!
    Speaking of that, did you ever see the final destination 1?if you have remember the scene where the massive log goes through that police car?. this actually happened in real life! (but the lady survives )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf8vKdDAG5I

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Even images such as the one spoilered make me feel ill, eyes water, and I get the urge to vomit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    OMFG now I am shivering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Novis)
    Speaking of that, did you ever see the final destination 1?if you have remember the scene where the massive log goes through that police car?. this actually happened in real life! (but the lady survives )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf8vKdDAG5I
    GOD i was just talking to my mum about this, it came up on yahoo news a couple of days ago. If she had had a passenger then he would have been impaled in his seat D:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I've never heard of that phobia before, or really thought about those kind of images. But I have to say looking at it makes me a bit uncomfortable and creeped out! :confused:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    What's that an image of? It kinda makes me feel queasy - but I don't know why, lol
    (Original post by Jo2217)
    Wow... I never knew anything about that..
    What kind of things do you get affected by? Is it purely looking at something or is the knowledge that its there in general as well that affects you?
    (Original post by tite23)
    Ew, god! I think I have that phobia! My brother and I could never understand why stuff like that made us shiver. God, that's revolting!
    I can't look at that picture without feeling uneasy and sickly. I haven't a clue what it's an image of and I'm not going to search for what it is either. I could never really explain why I didn't like looking at "small holes where lots of them are together" but it's not even always holes. Just images of the sort. Actually, thinking about it now makes me want to vomit. I could never really explain this fear, so to speak, nor did I think it was common - just something I had. Only when I read about it did I realise many people were the same.

It's not really a specific thing. But, if ever I see something of the sort - even when you're cooking and sometimes you get weird small bubbles clustered together, I can't look at them for very long and have to move away or I start feeling sick and shaking little, cringing, and just yeah. Not nice. If I know it's there, I can't help but keep looking at it which in turn makes it worse so I can't really be near it. Odd, I know.

Weird how with pictures like that some would just think it's a pattern. :afraid: :puke:

(Original post by Mad4footie)
    I googled . I think I have this. That picture really freaked me out. Usually, when i see bubbles in stuff that's cooking, like pancakes, i get goose bumps, but this time, i actually 'afraid'. or maybe it's because we're talking about phobias. :dontknow:
    Probably worse when you're actually thinking about being scared, but I know what you mean. It's vile.

(Original post by lekky)
    ugh what is that!
    I haven't a clue. Nor do I want to know. :yucky:

(Original post by Mark12345680)
    OMFG now I am shivering
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    It was a joke
    thats good to know then

ReputationRep:
    Spiders, creepy crawlers or night crawlers. I'm scared of those slimey things like leeches and worms especially caterpillar with hair.

I have the phobia of being rejected or left alone too.
    I also hate going infront of people and I get stage fright all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)

I have one...

1. Thalassophobia - fear of the sea.

I had this phobia when I was younger but added to this my parents also had a boat, and we would normally spend probably 3 weeks of summer cruising around in the sea. The boat would constantly have an engine malfunction and sometimes one or (most likely) both of them would break down at the same time. Then my parents would get in to arguments over why it broke down and what the hell they should do.

I tell you. It's not nice being 7 years old when you're **** scared of the sea, you're drifting around several miles from land with no engines, bobbing up and down, and your parents screaming at the top of their lungs.

I got over it though and these days I wish I had just enjoyed it rather than being in a perpetual state of fear. :|

ReputationRep:
    I have a few general fears - spiders, wasps etc, but the only thing which I would describe as a phobia is a fear of mushiness. You know like the texture of mashed potatoes, or bananas, or beans? Does anyone else have this? Or know if there is a name for it? Its just the thought of something with than texture in my mouth *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    Sleeping where someone can potentially come in through the window. I'm not sure there's a name for this...

I'm OK if someone else is there though.

When I moved into my current room for uni, I got the landlord to cut the trees back from the window by saying that they were "bashing into it in the wind". In reality, I had this ridiculous notion that someone would a climb the tree three stories up into my window.

There was also this room I could have had that had a door which opened straight into the garden, man that room freaked me out.

ReputationRep:
    Ornithophobia (more specifically peristerophobia). Fear of birds/pigeons.

I have absolutely no problem if they're caged but if there's the chance that they'll fly near me I panic and if they do I start crying.

ReputationRep:
    I have a fear of computersAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA RGH AHHHHHHHHHHH HELP ME GET IT AWAY FROM ME

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.