Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Phobias: Do you have any? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golddust&lipgloss)
    both. if a balloon pops infront of me, i will have a breakdown. we had a li'l party in our common room a while back and somebody started popping them. never have i felt so ****ing unstable.
    Yeah, that would drive me crazy. I can't sit still when there are balloons in the room, entirely due to the fear of the damn things exploding. Almost nothing is worse than some idiot grabbing a balloon and squeezing it. For me, anyways.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aja89)
    I'm not talking about having to get your Dad to squash a spider for you. :rolleyes:

I mean real debilitating, panic attack inducing, faint causing phobias. Would be interesting to see how many TSRers have unusual phobias!

I have one...

1. Thalassophobia - fear of the sea.

(Ridiculous as it may seem, googling that picture has just ran shivers down my spine!)

I am petrified of the open ocean and everything that the sea contains. Sharks, whales, rays, even seaweed!

I have no idea where the phobia stems from, I must have had a bad experience as child at the beach.

So how about you guys? Anybody have a phobia of zips?

ReputationRep:
    I really really hate wooden sticks, like you get on ice lollies, ughhh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El_Sid)
    Yeah, that would drive me crazy. I can't sit still when there are balloons in the room, entirely due to the fear of the damn things exploding. Almost nothing is worse than some idiot grabbing a balloon and squeezing it. For me, anyways.
    snap, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one. it's terrible to see a child playing around with a balloon knowing that it's going to pop in any moment. i think the worst part is that all my friends and family rip the piss out of me for this phobiaaaaaaa ;/

ReputationRep:
    I think I have Atychiphobia a fear of failure

The other day according to my parents I shouted out in my sleep 'Im such a fail at everything' I wouldnt usually care but 3 of my friends were sleeping over :/

ReputationRep:
    Atychiphobia- Fear of failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golddust&lipgloss)
    snap, i'm glad to see i'm not the only one. it's terrible to see a child playing around with a balloon knowing that it's going to pop in any moment. i think the worst part is that all my friends and family rip the piss out of me for this phobiaaaaaaa ;/
    I get the piss taken out of me too, not so long ago my housemate thought it would be hilarious to chase me round the house holding a mushroom

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insanespana)
    I'm glad there are others here with emetophobia, as even though I know it's quite common I'm still yet to really meet someone else like me. Some people hate seeing people be sick or pictures/sounds/smells etc, some hate being sick themselves, I hate EVERYTHING to do with it.

I actually have a panic attack if I start to feel properly nauseous, I can cope with the sort of sick feeling from bloating but that's about it.

I'm also worried about living together with my boyfriend (which we'll hopefully do after I graduate) as if he's sick I won't be able to look after him, or even want to be near him. For that reason where ever we live must have two toilets.
    I'm emetophobic - not as bad as I used to be, but if people are ill in front of me I do get really panicky. I think it all started when I was younger and I saw a good few kids get ill on a school trip and that haunted me forever, hah. For the same reasons as you I can't even think about looking after my boyfriend if he's had too much to drink/is actually ill, and I feel so bad, but I know my instincts totally take over and I'd probably just run away.

I'm not so bad with films/tv shows these days - mostly because it's a surprise and I usually forget about it soon after, although it does leave a knot in my stomach. I also get a bit panickity about how things are defrosted.

One of my coursemates is emetophobic too, and when I go out with her on a night out I often feel a lot more comforted! I do look out for people on a night out who may chuck, but often when I get drunk myself it isn't so bad.

Ah, phobias. Glad I'm not the only one.

ReputationRep:
    The dentists and needles.. I am completely stupid over it.. I cry, sweat, shake.. if I know I have an appointment I will fret about it for weeks and weeks beforehand, crying if I think about it too much.. blurgh, I'm an idiot! I can't even go into the dentists without my mom in there holding my hand, and I'm 24! My dentist is very good and I'm trying really hard to overcome the phobia, but it is difficult.. I'm completely aware that it's irrational and I know it doesn't hurt, but it still doesn't stop me getting worked up when the time comes to go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)
    I get the piss taken out of me too, not so long ago my housemate thought it would be hilarious to chase me round the house holding a mushroom
    i got chased around the common room with a balloon and then it was thrown at me.
    i erm, cried

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mask Of Sanity)
    Even images such as the one spoilered make me feel ill, eyes water, and I get the urge to vomit.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Ugh why did I open that spoiler. I've got typrophobia as well - just looking at that image makes me shudder.
    I wonder where it comes from though, it's quite strange.

ReputationRep:
    Spiders! :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    I think I have tokophobia - fear of childbirth. Everytime it comes up in a film or a TV show, I get shivers and my stomach starts hurting. It's really putting me off having a family, especially since it can be hard to get a Caesarean if you don't actually need it (from a medical perspective). I've had several nightmares about it. All this and I've never even had a baby DX

ReputationRep:
    The dentist and dogs. I don't mind it is a well behaved dog that ignores me but if one runs towards me or barks at me I feel sick and dizzy and freeze. It's worse when the owners get angry with me for being scared of their dog, while they may find it cute a lot of dog owners don't seem to understand that not everyone likes uncontrolled dogs jumping on them. One day I will end up kicking someones dog out of fear if they can't keep their dog away from other people they should keep it on a lead.

ReputationRep:
    I suffer from Coprophobia, which is the fear of poo's and pooing. A nightmare everytime I need to take a ****.

trypophobia; it makes me feel ill just thinking about it

arachnophobia; not a normal fear of spiders, i have panic attacks and can't look at a picture of a spider without feeling the need to vomit or cry

bathophobia - fear of falling, to the extent where i wont jump off more than the bottom step on stairs, and if i get pushed i have a panic attack

And I also feel really uncomfortable when looking at pictures of open spaces - google earth makes me so freaked out. But I wouldn't consider it a phobia.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Angury)
    Ugh why did I open that spoiler. I've got typrophobia as well - just looking at that image makes me shudder.
    I wonder where it comes from though, it's quite strange.
    I know what you mean. "Fear of the unknown" apparently. I need elaboration.

Oh, I also used to cry and panic and sometimes even faint if I was made to go to a bathroom that wasn't my own. Any toilet at all. White ones I could somewhat manage, but even then, I was horrendous. I grew out of that though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by staring.space)
    I'm emetophobic - not as bad as I used to be, but if people are ill in front of me I do get really panicky. I think it all started when I was younger and I saw a good few kids get ill on a school trip and that haunted me forever, hah. For the same reasons as you I can't even think about looking after my boyfriend if he's had too much to drink/is actually ill, and I feel so bad, but I know my instincts totally take over and I'd probably just run away.

I'm not so bad with films/tv shows these days - mostly because it's a surprise and I usually forget about it soon after, although it does leave a knot in my stomach. I also get a bit panickity about how things are defrosted.

One of my coursemates is emetophobic too, and when I go out with her on a night out I often feel a lot more comforted! I do look out for people on a night out who may chuck, but often when I get drunk myself it isn't so bad.

Ah, phobias. Glad I'm not the only one.
    Oh I forgot about my paranoia with defrosting/cooking food. I'm forever doubting that my chicken is done properly, and every now and then our freezer at uni goes funny and some things defrost a little bit - enough that I throw them out mind. I've generally decided all food that I'm not sure about isn't worth the worry of eating.

Watching tv/films I've just got into the habit of looking away when I know someone will probably be sick.

It doesn't stop me carrying on with my life, but it does influence the way I do some things. Stupid phobias.

ReputationRep:
    Nuclear submarines

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    I also have a phobia of being shot.
    Maybe its because of watching too many action movies :confused:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.