Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am from a place called Ilkeston in Derbyshire and want to go to a applicant day to Liverpool John Moores University on the 19th April 2011. This applicant day starts at 9:25am

The nearest train station is in Nottingham, so I'll have to get bus to reach it in time. This would take about 30 minute to reach Nottingham and about 15 minute to walk to the train station.

I have a really impossible dilemma though. By taking the earliest bus at 5:06am (and even if the bus is on time !) It would still mean that I'd miss the 6:00 train which would safely get me to Liverpool for 9:10 and would only take 10 minutes to get to the applicant day.

The next train after that is the 6:40 one which would get me at Liverpool at 9:30 and I would be about 20 minutes late to the applicant day.

Are these one of those things that needs me to be there on time, or will being late due to train times going to affect me that much.

I'm panicking not because of the price of the journey, but the embarrassment of not being there on time.

Hope you can help ! :

ReputationRep:
    Consider staying overnight. Universities usually have a conference park of some kind. Often with a building with spare rooms in it for people attending conferences .etc

I was lucky and managed to book such a room on Laterooms that was at the conference park ON CAMPUS (this was at birmingham university). And it cost me £40 which is damn cheap. If your going somewhere far away then it's awesome as you have the day to see the city and your able to get some sleep.

Ring up the university and ask if there is something similar. A chain hotel will probably cost double that.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at train from Derby station instead?

I just looked on National Rail site and although you have to change, it looks like there might be quicker trains from there.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.