Turn on thread page Beta

Is there any point complaining to Morrisons about this? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey

Haha well I just wanna see what you lot think before I send a complaint off to Morrisons.

Me, my boyfriend and my friend were in Morrisons the other day and my friend bought a crate of bitter for her dad's birthday. We went to the same till, but she went first then me and my boyfriend went after in two seperate transactions. But as we were about to get served this woman jumps on us from the other side of the store and asks me and my boyfriend if we have ID. I did, but my boyfriend didn't, so she refused to let my friend by the crate. We argued our point that it we aren't even paying for it, but she refused point blank to listen at all. She whipped the crate off the conveyor rudely, then we caught her *****ing and pointing at us to other staff in the store.

So is it worth complaining? Yeah it's company policy or whatever, but surely that's just abusing your power. Even the man on the till said it was unreasonable. I would say it's 100% fair enough if we were in the same transaction or if it was a bottle of vodka or something, but a crate of bitter for a bunch of 18 year olds?! :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Feel free to complain, but if you know they're following company policy, what's the point? You won't get anything from them.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I think you should. It may be company policy, but she still had to be act according to what they are told to, which is polite and calm.
    So I would make a complaint to Morrisons along the lines of what you've just said, and try to give as best a description of what she looked like.
    I had a similar-ish event at a Lidl, and after complaining I got free stuff!! So I think it's worth it, even if it is only an apology.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt complaining would make any difference to be honest.

It seems overzealous but I suppose they would argue that you were shopping as a group, even if you were paying for items separately, and thus your friend could have been providing alcohol for people who are underage. :/

I can definitely see why you would find it annoying, but no, I wouldn't bother complaining.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit extreme, but the paper's are your best bet if you get no response. They pretty much have to explain themselves then, if they want to uphold their reputation

ReputationRep:
    No point whatsoever, that's life buying booze in supermarkets. I'm 24 and still get it.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Wiki Support Team
    Quite a few supermarkets do that if a group is seen together but only one goes to pay for the alcohol as is seen as buying for minors which is illegal and could get the supermarket into trouble. No point complaining.

ReputationRep:
    If one of you in the group was under 18, then the cashier would've been breaking the law, could've been personally fined and the store's licence to sell alcohol put at risk.

At the end of the day, it's the supervisors job to ensure the alcohol policy is put into place. And if this means not selling a case of beer to a group of teenagers, then so be it.

It's harsh, but that's the only way to ensure alcohol doesn't get into the hands of minors.

Personally, I would've refused the alcohol sale if not everybody could provide ID, at the end of the day, the consequence of selling underage is much greater to one pissed off customer due to a no-sale.

ReputationRep:
    Its incase your boyfriend was underage and buying it for him. You could of been mystery shoppers for all she knew

ReputationRep:
    No point in complaining whatsoever. A person commits an offence if he buys or attempts to buy alcohol on behalf of an individual aged under 18.

The store stopped you from committing an offence, so they did you a favour.

ReputationRep:
    No point, they're supposed to do this, I've heard of a girl helping unload the shopping trolly end up having the cashier refuse to serve them because the girl simply put her mum's bottle of wine on the conveyor belt and they said the mother could be buying it for her.

If you're part of a group that's present at purchase then you gotta have ID, Morrisons will probably just tell you that they have a strict policy that needs to be followed.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.