Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Implant - procedure watch

Announcements

I've been thinking about having the implant fitted and was wondering if any girls who have had it done can give me some info on what happens, for example do they need to check blood pressure? (i really hate having this done) and any other info that might be useful.

thanks in advance xx

ReputationRep:
    I had mine put in in August and I don't think they checked my blood pressure.
    The procedure was very simple (I thought it would be a lot worse as i'm terrified of needles).
    First you get a small anaesthetic which is the only thing that hurts (a very little bit) then theres a small cut and its put in.
    Actually procedure took around 5 mins.
    xx

ReputationRep:
    I had my blood pressure checked at the preliminary appointment... I hate it too, tell them it makes you nervous, and they take that into account if it pushes your blood pressure up.
    As for having it put in, the anaesthetic injection actually really stings, but after that, it's great. Had a bruise, but took off the bandage after a day, when you are supposed to leave it four days, so my fault. I just couldnt stand it.

ReputationRep:
    First off, definatley reccomend the implant! It's been great for me, totally glad that I got mine put in
    They did check my blood pressure but all was fine, and then the anaesthetic was the only painful part. So worth it.. and I'm usually terrified of needles so y'know :P Just don't look and you'll be fine.
    It did leave bruising but now you literally can't see it under the skin

ReputationRep:
    Yes- forgot to mention that- I love the implant!

Thanks guys!

I don't mind needles at all (give blood regularly etc) it's just the blood pressue thing, i just can't bear having it done and it's totally irrational lol .

I'll deffinately think about having it done, thanks xx

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're on the pill, you have to have your blood pressure done for every new perscription, so at 3 months, 9 months, and then every year thereafter... with the implant, once every three years when you go back to have it changed!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.