Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 11, soon to take my final gcse exams. I began A level maths in year ten and will have finished AS this may. At sixth form I wanted to take maths, further maths, physics chemistry and biology.
    Anyway, me and my parents have had a huge argument and they have now said tHey will not pay for me to go to sixth form and that after the exams I have to get a job and pay my own way. My education is very important to me and I hoped to go to a very respected uni such as Cambridge or imperial. What are my options? Can I study the subjects at home and take the exams as a separate candidate? Do I have no chance? Advice and suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Sorry, sounds like you've been put in a very difficult position. In answer to your question, you are able to study and enter as a separate candidate - but I would not recommend it...

I am currently in Year 12, so doing my AS subjects this year. I found that the jump from GCSE to A-Level is quite a big one as there is a much greater emphasis on the understanding and application of the material that is on the syllabus (as opposed to just remembering large amounts of information for GCSE without really needing to fully understand it).

Therefore, I would say that studying from home on your own would be very difficult as the material in the subjects you are choosing is all very different to GCSE (there is a lot of new ideas introduced) and often difficult to understand without being taught it. This is not to say it is impossible, as you sound very bright...but I know that I couldn't do it.

As I take the same subjects as you want to take (minus further maths), I think that you will really struggle with the sciences by yourself. Maths on the other hand is much easier to self teach if you are mathematically minded. I'm sure you have found AS Maths not too much of a stretch (even a year early); but do not think the sciences are comparable in this way as the syllabuses are massive (esp Bio)!

Hope this is helpful in some way, but not really sure what to suggest. It sounds like you have huge potential if you are aiming for the two uni's you mentioned, so I think you are right to prioritise your education. Talk it over with your teachers at school and see their view on it-hopefully they can give you some useful advice. In terms of your parents, I'm not really in a position to advise (can only say: make sure they know what you're thinking and how important this is to you and your future).

Good Luck! :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice I'll bear that in mind

ReputationRep:
    No worries! What maths modules are you doing in May?

ReputationRep:
    C2 and M1. Because I did them early I had to self teach from the AQA textbook. Which one are you doing?

ReputationRep:
    Only M1 in may...did C1 and C2 in Jan (but I'm doing Edexcel). Assume you did C1 in Jan?

Ouch, self-teaching is hard! I had to do it for C2 as I wanted to take it early (than the rest of my year- so I have less exams this may), but never again.

ReputationRep:
    No I took c1 in July 2010 and couldn't take c2 in January because I was unprepared due to problems at the time. So had to postpone it but now hoping to get around 72/74 out of 75. How did you do in C1? And yeah self teaching is murder

ReputationRep:
    Make up with parents.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tehforum)
    Make up with parents.
    If you knew my parents, you'd agree that is not an option

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lukedavidhopkins1)
    I'm in year 11, soon to take my final gcse exams. I began A level maths in year ten and will have finished AS this may. At sixth form I wanted to take maths, further maths, physics chemistry and biology.
    Anyway, me and my parents have had a huge argument and they have now said tHey will not pay for me to go to sixth form and that after the exams I have to get a job and pay my own way. My education is very important to me and I hoped to go to a very respected uni such as Cambridge or imperial. What are my options? Can I study the subjects at home and take the exams as a separate candidate? Do I have no chance? Advice and suggestions would be really appreciated, thanks
    Pay? Are you looking at private ones? You could go state and if you work hard at A-levels you still have a chance to go to Cambridge or Imperial. Your parents may calm down and change their minds, I know a lot of people who are struggling to find work at the moment and several have been laid off, tell them its probably better to remain in education.

Well done on taking AS maths so early, I've never heard of anyone beginning it in year 10, I personally couldn't do it, I only scrapped a C at GCSE (which was my worst grade ) But try talking to your parents again once the argument has settled.

ReputationRep:
    Oh...but sounds like you're going to be fine in May! I got an A at C1

ReputationRep:
    Are there no state 6th forms near where you live? If not, it is possible to sit the exams out of school, and I would say whether you are able to self teach them or not depends on your work ethic. Considering your aspirations in terms of university I would guess that you're prepared to work incredibly hard, so I would say it's doable. Especially the Maths and Further Maths A-Levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KJane)
    Pay? Are you looking at private ones? You could go state and if you work hard at A-levels you still have a chance to go to Cambridge or Imperial. Your parents may calm down and change their minds, I know a lot of people who are struggling to find work at the moment and several have been laid off, tell them its probably better to remain in education.

Well done on taking AS maths so early, I've never heard of anyone beginning it in year 10, I personally couldn't do it, I only scrapped a C at GCSE (which was my worst grade ) But try talking to your parents again once the argument has settled.
    Thanks for the congrats and by pay they meant I begin to pay for myself in the household, such as food and other necessities. They meant no chance at further education beyond year 11

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hammer 24)
    Oh...but sounds like you're going to be fine in May! I got an A at C1
    Congrats great result

ReputationRep:
    Congrats great result
    Thanks! Not looking forward to M1 though...do you find M1 the hardest module as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis)
    Are there no state 6th forms near where you live? If not, it is possible to sit the exams out of school, and I would say whether you are able to self teach them or not depends on your work ethic. Considering your aspirations in terms of university I would guess that you're prepared to work incredibly hard, so I would say it's doable. Especially the Maths and Further Maths A-Levels.
    There are, in fact the one I go to now is, just it's in Bridgnorth 26 miles away. I do like to think I have a strong work ethic and try to push myself but I've been told the subjects I've chosen are very difficult to self teach (on and off TSR). I don't know whether it's too late to apply for 6th forms now? If it is self teaching and being a separate candidate seems my only option

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! Not looking forward to M1 though...do you find M1 the hardest module as well?
    Oddly enough I actually really enjoy M1 I really like how you can apply all the other maths techniques in real life situations. I take it it's not amongst your favourites then?

ReputationRep:
    Oddly enough I actually really enjoy M1 I really like how you can apply all the other maths techniques in real life situations. I take it it's not amongst your favourites then?
    Wish i was like you in that respect - I find it so much harder than the other 2 modules .

And from reading your last post...if you do end up having to self teach, I'd suggest buying a couple of textbooks from different exam boards for the sciences as they often explain in different ways and it may help you to understand if you have 2 different ways of looking at things. But in saying that, make sure you learn the syllabus specific to the board you decide to take (they are all really picky on definitions, so always learn definitions specific to your exam board!). Also there are loads of revision websites that will help

ReputationRep:
    Wish i was like you in that respect - I find it so much harder than the other 2 modules .

And from reading your last post...if you do end up having to self teach, I'd suggest buying a couple of textbooks from different exam boards for the sciences as they often explain in different ways and it may help you to understand if you have 2 different ways of looking at things. But in saying that, make sure you learn the syllabus specific to the board you decide to take (they are all really picky on definitions, so always learn definitions specific to your exam board!). Also there are loads of revision websites that will help
    Once you understand the concepts I think the rest of M1 just flows and thanks do you know any of those websites off the top of your head? And I'm fairly sure I'd be taking them in AQA if that makes any difference

ReputationRep:
    Since when do people pay to go to sixth form? (apart from private ones)

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.