Turn on thread page Beta

Bit worried about my brother - is this normal? watch

ReputationRep:
    My brother studies law at uni and is in his final year. He spends the whole day in his office writing his dissertation or doing his revision. Is this normal? I mean, he gets up about 7am and works all day! He goes to a good uni (Warwick) and has a grad scheme lined up. But, i sort of think he is wasting his life doing work!

I spoke to my parents but they said to just let him get on with it. I know it isn't any of my business but i can't see how he can be happydoing this!

ReputationRep:
    he will probably get further in life than you...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df232)
    My brother studies law at uni and is in his final year. He spends the whole day in his office writing his dissertation or doing his revision. Is this normal? I mean, he gets up about 7am and works all day! He goes to a good uni (Warwick) and has a grad scheme lined up. But, i sort of think he is wasting his life doing work!

I spoke to my parents but they said to just let him get on with it. I know it isn't any of my business but i can't see how he can be happydoing this!
    Yes, this is normal. If you want to get a high-paying job, have financial security and a successful career it's something worth putting in the hours for, you shouldn't criticise him for making this choice.

ReputationRep:
    Unless it's affecting his health badly, then don't worry about it.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds about right to me at the moment.

His grad scheme is probably a conditional offer dependent on final results and 3rd year accounts for more of your degree class than any other year. That means a couple of months of very hard work.

ReputationRep:
    Wait wait wait...

Somebody is actually doing work at University? **** that can't be what you're supposed to do...

ReputationRep:
    Does he take much time off for lunch or dinner? He needs to have balance... Join a society, go for a half hour walk or something , no it's not normal to be working every waking hour.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    Does he take much time off for lunch or dinner? He needs to have balance... Join a society, go for a half hour walk or something , no it's not normal to be working every waking hour.
    I think he plays football at uni and does go gym when he is home. He has been back for Easter holidays you see and i have barely seen him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    That is a bit unfair but I am sure he will.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostInLaw)
    Sounds about right to me at the moment.

His grad scheme is probably a conditional offer dependent on final results and 3rd year accounts for more of your degree class than any other year. That means a couple of months of very hard work.
    Oh right. I don't really know how uni grades work. It is some job with a firm called Deloytte in Manchester. I don't know if that requires really high grades or not. (to be honest, i don't really know who Deloytte are!)

ReputationRep:
    How is he mentally?

ReputationRep:
    It is called being motivated and driven.
    But most people don't realise this as they think everything comes for free nowadays and you don't have to work for ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MutantGecko)
    yes because having no time for friends is a great way to live your life....

im not saying he shouldnt work but by the sound of things he's doing to much work

he needs to get out and have a drink and a relax for a day..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df232)
    Oh right. I don't really know how uni grades work. It is some job with a firm called Deloytte in Manchester. I don't know if that requires really high grades or not. (to be honest, i don't really know who Deloytte are!)
    It is spelt Deloitte and he must have done very well to get onto that as it is very competitive. He probably just wants to make sure he gets the grades they want.

ReputationRep:
    I wish i had his dedication....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gallabay)
    I wish i had his dedication....
    I wish I had Half his dedication...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df232)

Is your name Christopher McCandless?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df232)

As a third year law student, this is completely normal. Just let him get on with it, it's not going to kill him, it's only a couple of months. =)
    He's probably not happy, but it's the rewards that come with doing well in your degree. After all, he got onto the course so that he could earn a living. What else would you be expecting him to do?

ReputationRep:
    weirdo

ReputationRep:
    I can't even believe what some people are responding with. It is NOT healthy to constantly work 24/7 it does not do your health any good at all. He needs to have breaks every so often, spend time with his family and friends, get fresh air!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.