Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Bit worried about my brother - is this normal? watch

ReputationRep:
    i dont think im overreacting

theres a reason there is a saying that says all work and no play....

it is bad for you whether for a few moths or your entire life it is bad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anquietas)
    Yes, well. It's like this: If you love your subject of study, then you gladly put in the amount of work that's required to excel. It's actually no longer "work", if you like it. It's fun. Pure fun.

Also, you have to sacrifice things to get other things done. Because to get things done, you have to do them. And that takes time. Time you cannot spend with other things, because that takes away your focus, and your energy dissipates.

For a driven university student the first and foremost thing to sacrifice is a private life. If you have friends, family or even a romantic partner who just distract you (because they are incapable of understanding the dynamics of a successful academic career) then there's no other way than to reduce the amount of contact that you have with them. Sounds harsh, but it is a necessity. Otherwise you again just defocus and dissipate energy that you need elsewhere.

Also, you said that he goes to the gym and is otherwise physically active. I see no problems whatsoever.
    Are you happy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kopite493)
    i dont think im overreacting

theres a reason there is a saying that says all work and no play....

it is bad for you whether for a few moths or your entire life it is bad
    Is there not a balancing act here though? If the issue is primarily that "all work and no play makes Jack a dull boy" then the obvious question is whether being dull for a few months can really outweigh the benefit of a better degree and the concomitant advantages over the course of your life? It seems a relatively minor concern in comparison.

If there isn't a real risk to his health (and plenty of people do do this without mental health problems) then isn't it just an example of that part of maturity that requires a person to suffer in the short term in order to obtain some larger benefit in the longer term?

ReputationRep:
    I wish I could dedicate myself like to my studies at UNI. I don't see anything wrong with him. Clearly you haven't been to UNI, it's his final. If it goes wrong, he's wasted 3/4 years of his life.. Or ruined all his hard due to bring undedicated to this last disso! If that was me, and it was my disso. I would do all I can to make sure I get my degree. It either starts or all ends here.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he's fallen behind with his work and now is like 'yutto', so he's getting on with it all now. Has he been like that all year? I bet it was all partying and now he's realised he needs to get his work done!

ReputationRep:
    Wish I was doing that atm, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cttp_ngaf)
    What a dork, I didn't do a scrap of work at uni and still swaggered out of there with a first.
    First in what? And what university?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df232)
    My brother studies law at uni and is in his final year. He spends the whole day in his office writing his dissertation or doing his revision. Is this normal? I mean, he gets up about 7am and works all day! He goes to a good uni (Warwick) and has a grad scheme lined up. But, i sort of think he is wasting his life doing work!

I spoke to my parents but they said to just let him get on with it. I know it isn't any of my business but i can't see how he can be happydoing this!
    As a law student I can confirm this is perfectly normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyler.)
    As a law student I can confirm this is perfectly normal.
    I enjoy that pretty much every law student that enters this thread agrees that it's fairly normal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by df232)
    My brother studies law at uni and is in his final year. He spends the whole day in his office writing his dissertation or doing his revision. Is this normal? I mean, he gets up about 7am and works all day! He goes to a good uni (Warwick) and has a grad scheme lined up. But, i sort of think he is wasting his life doing work!

I spoke to my parents but they said to just let him get on with it. I know it isn't any of my business but i can't see how he can be happydoing this!
    you realise on average, you live for at least 60 years... spending 3 years or even a bit more working hard to ensure you have a good future is nothing, sounds like you have the problem not your brother... just think when he is 40, he's going to have a nice house, nice cars and a happy life, whilst you will be living paycheck to paycheck you scumbag

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VeniViciVidi)
    First in what? And what university?
    Biochemistry, mostly York (with a year at Imperial).

ReputationRep:
    You've already said that he's in the football team when he's actually at uni, so maybe he does about a quarter as much whilst he's there and is doing most of it during the holidays when he's not there and not playing with the team?
    Yes working constantly isn't good, but if it's just for the holidays and just ensuring that he gets a good grade then it's not that bad, he obviously still has a social life at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alice4thamoon)
    Are you happy?
    I am happier when I achieve my goals. Apart from that, I have no actual desire to be happy. It's a nice plus, but not necessary.

It's funny how people in this thread are all about social life and such. That guy obviously likes his work, and wants to do it. You don't study for exams. You study to excel at the subject. Good exam results are a side-effect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anquietas)
    I am happier when I achieve my goals. Apart from that, I have no actual desire to be happy. It's a nice plus, but not necessary.

It's funny how people in this thread are all about social life and such. That guy obviously likes his work, and wants to do it. You don't study for exams. You study to excel at the subject. Good exam results are a side-effect.
    You cannot be serious, that sounds like something a computer would say rather than a person.

ReputationRep:
    someone didn't like my lol

ReputationRep:
    i will be doing this but only for the next 8 weeks. it is a bit sad not to mention unnecessary to work like that year round. but then i suppose some people actually savour the grind/studying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LostInLaw)
    I enjoy that pretty much every law student that enters this thread agrees that it's fairly normal.
    I have a degree in law and I barely did anything tbh. Certainly not like the OP's lunatic brother. I rarely got out of bed before 12pm and I've never revised for more than about 2 hours in a day in my entire life.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry - that's pretty normal for people doing competitive degrees like law, medicine etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    I have a degree in law and I barely did anything tbh. Certainly not like the OP's lunatic brother. I rarely got out of bed before 12pm and I've never revised for more than about 2 hours in a day in my entire life.
    really? You must be a genius! Well played.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinotopiaisawful)
    really? You must be a genius! Well played.
    obviously I am a genius but on the other hand I don't think you need to be a genius to get through a law degree without allowing it to consume your entire life. I know plenty of others who came out with 2:1s (or better!) and got training contracts without working anywhere near as much as the OP's brother. In fact, I didn't know of anyone on my course who worked like that, although that would make sense because when would I ever have seen them :rofl2: :awesome:

i'm not trying to hype myself up or anything, i'm sure the OP's brother and you other committed folk are and will be far better lawyers than I would have been (my lack of effort was in large part down to the fact I HATED law). I'm just saying that in my experience it's not the norm to study for like 12 hours a day and nor was it among many of the people I knew at uni.

i'll leave you with another amusing anecdote; in 3 years I only read about 2-3 judgments in full

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.