Turn on thread page Beta

Bit worried about my brother - is this normal? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nahm sayn?)
    you realise on average, you live for at least 60 years... spending 3 years or even a bit more working hard to ensure you have a good future is nothing, sounds like you have the problem not your brother... just think when he is 40, he's going to have a nice house, nice cars and a happy life, whilst you will be living paycheck to paycheck you scumbag
    And whats the problem living paycheck to paycheck? Some people prefer that.

And what makes a "good" future? being able to support your family or being able to spoil them with everything top of the range?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    obviously I am a genius but on the other hand I don't think you need to be a genius to get through a law degree without allowing it to consume your entire life. I know plenty of others who came out with 2:1s (or better!) and got training contracts without working anywhere near as much as the OP's brother. In fact, I didn't know of anyone on my course who worked like that, although that would make sense because when would I ever have seen them :rofl2: :awesome:

i'm not trying to hype myself up or anything, i'm sure the OP's brother and you other committed folk are and will be far better lawyers than I would have been (my lack of effort was in large part down to the fact I HATED law). I'm just saying that in my experience it's not the norm to study for like 12 hours a day and nor was it among many of the people I knew at uni.

i'll leave you with another amusing anecdote; in 3 years I only read about 2-3 judgments in full
    I agree with this post and was very surprised about all this 12 hour day studying. I'm not a big fan of law and definitely won't be going into it.

I am a final year student at a good uni and am on course for a high 2:1 or a first. I don't do much work throughout the year and then start revising around now for exams. I probably do about 2-3 hours a day, maybe a bit more the nearer to exams we get.

I know people on my course who are in the library all day all year round. I get similar marks to them. I am not a genius by any means. Studying law does not mean you have to spend all your time studying. It really doesn't. I only read judgements in full for my dissertation (and even then only 2 i think). It isn't necessary to know the whole judgement as the abstract is usually enough!

How do people work for 12 hours a day? Surely, you run out of things to read! The exams are only 2 hours long, there is only so much you need to know!

ReputationRep:
    You say he's working all day, but if he's locked away with a computer he could just be ****ing compulsively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    obviously I am a genius but on the other hand I don't think you need to be a genius to get through a law degree without allowing it to consume your entire life. I know plenty of others who came out with 2:1s (or better!) and got training contracts without working anywhere near as much as the OP's brother. In fact, I didn't know of anyone on my course who worked like that, although that would make sense because when would I ever have seen them :rofl2: :awesome:

i'm not trying to hype myself up or anything, i'm sure the OP's brother and you other committed folk are and will be far better lawyers than I would have been (my lack of effort was in large part down to the fact I HATED law). I'm just saying that in my experience it's not the norm to study for like 12 hours a day and nor was it among many of the people I knew at uni.

i'll leave you with another amusing anecdote; in 3 years I only read about 2-3 judgments in full
    I agree with you completely. I was a bit surprised by your comment that you did no work at all! I now see that you say the most you did is 2-3 hours. That is perfectly reasonable and about the same as what i do (final year law student). People who revise for 12 hours a day are strange. I really can't see the use of it. Actually, if its like a week before the exam and they havent done any work then it is understandable.

BUT not the whole year round. It just isn't necessary to put yourself through that at all. The number of people on this thread that think it is, is quite worrying in my opinion!

ReputationRep:
    Whether people are rightfully concerned or not, when I'm in full-blown study mode and have people telling you that you should take a break and that you've done enough work, this tends to just piss me off because I feel like they're trying to bring me down and stop me doing my best. Just let him get on with it - a degree is not for life, and he'll have time to relax once he's secured a job. He clearly knows what he has to do and is doing his best to achieve it. Rather than following the majority who do a couple hours a day and then ***** about how they're so far behind and pulling all-nighters the week before deadlines.

Nothing worse than people trying to stop you studying. Take him food and drink but disturb him as little as possible if you really want to help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danielle89)
    Whether people are rightfully concerned or not, when I'm in full-blown study mode and have people telling you that you should take a break and that you've done enough work, this tends to just piss me off because I feel like they're trying to bring me down and stop me doing my best. Just let him get on with it - a degree is not for life, and he'll have time to relax once he's secured a job. He clearly knows what he has to do and is doing his best to achieve it. Rather than following the majority who do a couple hours a day and then ***** about how they're so far behind and pulling all-nighters the week before deadlines.

Nothing worse than people trying to stop you studying. Take him food and drink but disturb him as little as possible if you really want to help
    haha ok!

ReputationRep:
    yeah,taking him food and drink is probably the best advice in this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dinotopiaisawful)
    yeah,taking him food and drink is probably the best advice in this thread!
    haha yeah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    I can't even believe what some people are responding with. It is NOT healthy to constantly work 24/7 it does not do your health any good at all. He needs to have breaks every so often, spend time with his family and friends, get fresh air!
    This, entirely. It is clear that the OP is concerned for her brother's physical and mental health which are far more important than his career, but people seem to interpret his or her post as criticism rather than concern. Saying that he will 'get further in life' than OP is ridiculous and missing the point entirely about what life is about. Life is about happiness, not pay cheques, and it is not like success and a healthy lifestyle are mutually exclusive. What a lot of you don't realise is that if you have to work unnaturally hard to get a certain grade or job, you will have to work equally as hard to maintain that standard of work. Getting the 2:1, 1st or job is only the start of the hard work. You also seem to think that there is nothing in between dossing and working all the hours in the day. A final year law student needs to work hard, but there is working hard and then there is burning yourself out, and it is the latter that I call failure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Climbontoyourseahorse)
    This, entirely. It is clear that the OP is concerned for her brother's physical and mental health which are far more important than his career, but people seem to interpret his or her post as criticism rather than concern. Saying that he will 'get further in life' than OP is ridiculous and missing the point entirely about what life is about. Life is about happiness, not pay cheques, and it is not like success and a healthy lifestyle are mutually exclusive. What a lot of you don't realise is that if you have to work unnaturally hard to get a certain grade or job, you will have to work equally as hard to maintain that standard of work. Getting the 2:1, 1st or job is only the start of the hard work. You also seem to think that there is nothing in between dossing and working all the hours in the day. A final year law student needs to work hard, but there is working hard and then there is burning yourself out, and it is the latter that I call failure.
    I am the OP and i am glad someone has interpreted my post correctly! I am concerned about his well-being and found the "get further in life" comment very strange! And the 40 odd likes that comment now has!

He has had a bit of a break this weekend and seems a lot more relaxed now. I spoke to him about how he was feeling and he said he knows he is doing too much work atm but just wants to make sure he gets the grades to ensure he gets a 2:1.

ReputationRep:
    This, entirely. It is clear that the OP is concerned for her brother's physical and mental health which are far more important than his career, but people seem to interpret his or her post as criticism rather than concern.

Oh, i am a guy (not that it matters though!)

ReputationRep:
    God, stop worrying, you should be worried if he ISN'T working, Also if your not aware who Deloitte are I think you are in no position to judge.

ReputationRep:
    To those siding with the OP, I think you may need to re-read.
    The OP has said that their brother does play football / go to the gym. So its not like hes just doing work and that is it.
    Its quite normal for a final year to be working that hard tbh. Especially this close to the end of the academic year.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2011
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.