Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    As part of a question to verify that \mathcal{L} (t^{\frac{1}{2}}) = \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{s}} , I have to use complex contour integration with the Bromwich contour to evaluate the inverse laplace transform of \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{s}}. We obviously know that the answer is t^{0.5} but I'm not sure how to work it out. I don't know what contour to take...

I've tried taking the contour which goes like... \{z=iy : y\leq \epsilon\}\cup \{z=\epsilon e^{i*\theta} : \frac{\pi}{2}\leq\theta\leq \frac{3\pi}{2}\} \cup \{z=iy : y\geq \epsilon\} and then considering the limit as \epsilon \rightarrow 0 but this just gives me 0 which is wrong. So I'm confused as to whether I've taken the wrong contour or have calculated this incorectly.

The hint says to take a contour similar to a keyhole...but alas I still cannot think of what it should be. Any help would be greatly appreciated - thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    Because sqrt(z) has a branch point, you need to put in a cut line so that sqrt(z) will be single valued on the region you're integrating.

As I understand it, (and as well as I can describe it on here), take a cutline along the -ve x (real) axis.

you then want a contour going from 1-iR to 1+iR, then a quarter semicircle radius R ending at (1-R, 0), then a straight line from (1-R) to (-eps, 0) (above the cutline), then a clockwise circle radius eps going to (-eps, 0) (below the cutline), then a straight line from (-eps, 0) to (1-R), and finally a quarter semicircle radius R going from (1-R, 0) to (1- iR) again to close the contour. Then let R go to infinity.

As I understand it, the two straight line integrals (from x=1-R to eps and back again) do NOT cancel out because sqrt(z) has a different value depending on whether you are above or below the cut.

Not sure how difficult this will be to actually do - it's been too long since I did Contour Integration in anger - but good luck!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.