The Student Room Group

Can I do an AS-level over the summer?

Hi, I'm finishing my first year at university soon and was wondering whether it would be possible for me to take another AS-level in the summer. I'll have nearly 4 months off, and I'm prepared to do an intensive course to fit the syllabus into 4 months (I've just left school with 5 A-levels, so I know what to expect in terms of workload). But having looked around, I can't seem to find anywhere that offers summer AS-levels! Can anyone help? I'd be so grateful!:biggrin:
Reply 1
You can study yourself and apply to be an external candidate at a local college but exam seasons are January and May/June
Patrick is right, just apply as an external candidate.
Original post by lil huni
Hi, I'm finishing my first year at university soon and was wondering whether it would be possible for me to take another AS-level in the summer. I'll have nearly 4 months off, and I'm prepared to do an intensive course to fit the syllabus into 4 months (I've just left school with 5 A-levels, so I know what to expect in terms of workload). But having looked around, I can't seem to find anywhere that offers summer AS-levels! Can anyone help? I'd be so grateful!:biggrin:

What kind of course are you thinking of?
Reply 4
why would you want to do this...your at uni...if you were normal youd be spending the summer with your friends.
Original post by Mizukii
why would you want to do this...your at uni...if you were normal youd be spending the summer with your friends.

While I'd probably never do this and would spend summer going out, planning a holiday or something - it's none of your business if this person doesn't want to do that and would rather study something.

Maybe they developed a passion for something and are doing the subject as more of a hobby.
Reply 6
doubt it since a level exams are january and june.
Reply 7
You're going to have to study it yourself and take an exam as an external candidate. Wouldn't that be easier and less expensive than finding a teacher anyway? I hate learning in classes. Independent work is where it's at. :wink:
Can i ask why you want to do this?

If its to learn a language or other subject it might be better to just take an evening course at a local college? It's more sensible than taking an actual AS level, since you would have to wait till Jan to take the exam anyway.

If it is because you want to improve your employment prospects, work experience is MUCH more valuable to you right now, especially since you already have 5 A levels.
Reply 9
Original post by lil huni

Yes you could get the course books and specification, learn it all, a whole summer is loads of time, and like many people have said you can sit the exams as an external candidate at a school/college somewhere :smile:
Reply 10
you should do a course preferably with no cw like maths
Reply 11
Thanks for the advice, everyone - I've done some searching and I've decided to apply as an external candidate for the January exams for maths (I wanted to take it last year, but was already doing 5 A-levels). I know I don't really NEED to do another A-level, but I love maths so studying it over the summer isn't really work to me! :smile:
Mizukii - thank you for implying that I'm abnormal for enjoying studying. Good luck with your own studies.
Reply 12
Original post by Mizukii

Original post by Mizukii

sorry mate, I don't think she knows what that means. Who da F**** needs another AS level if they already have done 5 full Alevels??
Reply 13
musi_1993, can you read? I already said - I know I don't NEED another AS-level. Last year, I wanted to do maths, but I was already doing 5 subjects and maths was unrelated to my university course of choice, so I thought it would be less beneficial to have it on my UCAS form than my other subjects. But I LIKE maths, and so getting an A-level in it would be ENJOYABLE to me. By the way, f*** has four letters in it. Not five.

Quick Reply

Latest