Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to confirm the correct pronunciation of judges title.
    e.g. Edmund-Davies J would be Lord Justice Edmund-Davies or just Lord Edmund-Davies

ReputationRep:
    No.

1. If he is just Edmund-Davies J then he is styled Mr Justice Edmund-Davies (a High Court Judge)
    2. If he is Edmund-Davies LJ then he is styled Lord Justice Edmund Davies (a Court of Appeal Judge)
    3. If he is Lord Edmund-Davies, well that speaks for itself (a House of Lords or Supreme Court Judge)

Obviously judges have different titles depending on what stage of their career they are. However, the fact that a High Court judge later rises to become a Court of Appeal judge, or a Law Lord, does not change the title they are given (i.e. Mr Justice) if they made a decision in the High Court. The same applies to a Court of Appeal judge who then rises to the House of Lords or Supreme Court.

E.g. Lord Denning eventually became a Law Lord, and then decided to demote himself back to the Court of Appeal as Master of the Rolls. However when he made his famous judgment in the High Trees case, he was a High Court judge. So when citing that judgment you'd say- "the decision of Denning J (Mr Justice Denning) in High Trees".

(Original post by AdamTJ)
    No.

1. If he is just Edmund-Davies J then he is styled Mr Justice Edmund-Davies (a High Court Judge)
    2. If he is Edmund-Davies LJ then he is styled Lord Justice Edmund Davies (a Court of Appeal Judge)
    3. If he is Lord Edmund-Davies, well that speaks for itself (a House of Lords or Supreme Court Judge)

Obviously judges have different titles depending on what stage of their career they are. However, the fact that a High Court judge later rises to become a Court of Appeal judge, or a Law Lord, does not change the title they are given (i.e. Mr Justice) if they made a decision in the High Court. The same applies to a Court of Appeal judge who then rises to the House of Lords or Supreme Court.

E.g. Lord Denning eventually became a Law Lord, and then decided to demote himself back to the Court of Appeal as Master of the Rolls. However when he made his famous judgment in the High Trees case, he was a High Court judge. So when citing that judgment you'd say- "the decision of Denning J (Mr Justice Denning) in High Trees".
    I'm still a novice as far as mooting goes, but would you say "Mr Justice Denning as he then was" to make clear that you know he's subsequently been promoted? I think that's what I've been told but I appreciate that it elongates the sentence!

ReputationRep:
    You can do that if you wish. I do that myself for exactly the reason you point out and I think it adds a nice touch, but it's a question of personal style.

(Original post by AdamTJ)
    You can do that if you wish. I do that myself for exactly the reason you point out and I think it adds a nice touch, but it's a question of personal style.
    Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tortious)
    I'm still a novice as far as mooting goes, but would you say "Mr Justice Denning as he then was" to make clear that you know he's subsequently been promoted? I think that's what I've been told but I appreciate that it elongates the sentence!
    This is really useful, Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    The QC judging a moot I competed in said, in so many words, that this form should be used. I don't think it's so much a point of style as a mark of respect. It might rub a judge the wrong way *not* to use this form, where you're unlikely to offend if you do use it. (It's also worth noting that if a judge has subsequently been promoted it might well lend more weight to a first instance decision than it would otherwise have. There are also judges who are highly-regarded on a particular area of law--Goff on restitution, Millett on equity, Bingham on human rights, Neuberger on chancery/property, Hale on family--so if they make a statement on that area it is more likely to carry weight.)

(Original post by jjarvis)
    The QC judging a moot I competed in said, in so many words, that this form should be used. I don't think it's so much a point of style as a mark of respect. It might rub a judge the wrong way *not* to use this form, where you're unlikely to offend if you do use it. (It's also worth noting that if a judge has subsequently been promoted it might well lend more weight to a first instance decision than it would otherwise have. There are also judges who are highly-regarded on a particular area of law--Goff on restitution, Millett on equity, Bingham on human rights, Neuberger on chancery/property, Hale on family--so if they make a statement on that area it is more likely to carry weight.)
    Good to know, thanks.

(Was that the Cuppers final? I was sitting behind you! :giggle:)

ReputationRep:
    Good to know, thanks.

(Was that the Cuppers final? I was sitting behind you! :giggle:)
    Yeah, it was. Lol, were you?!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 16, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  2. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
  3. University of Aberdeen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.