Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I joined up here because I need advice. I just feel like everyday it's a battle to get up and out of bed. I try to be optimistic but putting on a brave face everyday isn't working anymore.

Last year around this time, I lost my mom to cancer. We had always been close. During her last months I took care of her. And now that she's gone, my dad is constantly leaning on me for support and health. Since he didn't even graduate high school, I have to help him. A lot of times I feel like he's suffocating me in my own house by not letting me go places.

I've tried finding a job but everyone wants experience and the reason why I never had a job before because I couldn't because like I said I was taking care of my mom.

I'm going to school for Medical Assisting and was so close to being done when I failed a class. Not because I was goofing off, but because I got so nervous on a practicum. Now I have to repeat the six week class. Only then, can I go on a 160 hour externship and hopefully get hired.

My father is not a pillar of support. At all. Even though he didn't graduate, he's giving me all this grief about failing this one class. Up until then, I recieved A's and B's for everything. And he's definitely the most pessimistic person I have ever met. He constantly says he wishes he'd just die.

On top of that, he's constantly changing his mind on me. When I decided to go to school he switched back and forth from 'Good job' to 'This is stupid'. And now that I'm off (I have to wait a few weeks before my establishments teaches the class again.) He's 'Get a job' and then 'Stay home.'

Hopefully someone out there understands that I'm not being a lazy college kid and will offer some kind of advice for me. Thanks in advance for those who do.

ReputationRep:
    you should tell your GP or school advisor. you are entitled to some support for your sitaution. hang in there pal

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above; they'll give you help and support if and when you feel as though you need that little bit extra. It always helps to talk to someone too.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I lost my mum to cancer a couple of months ago now-I live in the house I was left with my boyfriend and I'm in sixth form doing 4 a-levels. This, for me, is a lot of work (including grieving) but what your describing sounds so much worse...
    please talk to someone-a GP or school advisor-anyone. It sounds like you and your dad need help and you are defiantly entitled to it
    Hang in there and I hope it turns out okay for you both

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.