Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I joined up here because I need advice. I just feel like everyday it's a battle to get up and out of bed. I try to be optimistic but putting on a brave face everyday isn't working anymore.

Last year around this time, I lost my mom to cancer. We had always been close. During her last months I took care of her. And now that she's gone, my dad is constantly leaning on me for support and health. Since he didn't even graduate high school, I have to help him. A lot of times I feel like he's suffocating me in my own house by not letting me go places.

I've tried finding a job but everyone wants experience and the reason why I never had a job before because I couldn't because like I said I was taking care of my mom.

I'm going to school for Medical Assisting and was so close to being done when I failed a class. Not because I was goofing off, but because I got so nervous on a practicum. Now I have to repeat the six week class. Only then, can I go on a 160 hour externship and hopefully get hired.

My father is not a pillar of support. At all. Even though he didn't graduate, he's giving me all this grief about failing this one class. Up until then, I recieved A's and B's for everything. And he's definitely the most pessimistic person I have ever met. He constantly says he wishes he'd just die.

On top of that, he's constantly changing his mind on me. When I decided to go to school he switched back and forth from 'Good job' to 'This is stupid'. And now that I'm off (I have to wait a few weeks before my establishments teaches the class again.) He's 'Get a job' and then 'Stay home.'

Hopefully someone out there understands that I'm not being a lazy college kid and will offer some kind of advice for me. Thanks in advance for those who do.

ReputationRep:
    you should tell your GP or school advisor. you are entitled to some support for your sitaution. hang in there pal

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the above; they'll give you help and support if and when you feel as though you need that little bit extra. It always helps to talk to someone too.

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I lost my mum to cancer a couple of months ago now-I live in the house I was left with my boyfriend and I'm in sixth form doing 4 a-levels. This, for me, is a lot of work (including grieving) but what your describing sounds so much worse...
    please talk to someone-a GP or school advisor-anyone. It sounds like you and your dad need help and you are defiantly entitled to it
    Hang in there and I hope it turns out okay for you both

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.