Turn on thread page Beta

If I go onto study Medicine, can I also go on to study Physics.? watch

ReputationRep:
    I am keen to be Doctor, and am currently in year 12 at sixth form but I was just wondering.... If I do go on to study and become a doctor, after qualifying ect, could I go on and study Physics at undergraduate or postgraduate level?

ReputationRep:
    Err yes, but:

a) you'll be quite older than the average fresher
    b) it'll be very expensive
    c) I doubt a physics MSc would let you in anyway, perhaps biophysics or radiation biology or whatever but med school has very little to do with physics, I doubt you'd be qualified enough to do it at postgrad with an undergrad degree in medicine.

Much easier to just figure out what you want to do now and apply for it

ReputationRep:
    You can, but I do not think that any sane person would do a medicine degree for 5/6 years and then go onto study a physics degree. That would just be stupid.

ReputationRep:
    Well yes, but why would you want to do that?

(Original post by oliviaw1677)
    I am keen to be Doctor, and am currently in year 12 at sixth form but I was just wondering.... If I do go on to study and become a doctor, after qualifying ect, could I go on and study Physics at undergraduate or postgraduate level?
    Surely if there were any way around this it would be a Physics undergrad then GEM?

:dontknow:

EDIT: Heard of Medical Physics?

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/medphys/undergrad/msci

Also available as a BSc at UCL.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oliviaw1677)
    In principle I think you could get on a course but you wouldn't get any student loans.

UCL (and possible other places) let you do an intercalated BSc in Medical Physics. And you could probably get on a medical physics/biophysics masters degree with a medical degree. But then neither of these are anything like normal undergraduate physics.

I do know of at least one professor/consultant who has done a mix of medicine and physics training and is active in medical physics research.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you need to make your mind up. I wanted to do a physics degree then do an engineering degree. But really I just needed to decide what I wanted to do more. I picked engineering because I could get a better job out of it, but also I could always learn physics in my spare time and there will still be lots of good physics in an engineering degree.

My advice is to decide what you want to do more. Medical physics is definitely a good suggestion too.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.