Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

El Clasico - La Liga, Copa Del Rey and UCL Hype Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Milito and Puyol are also still doubts on whether they can start

things seem to be aligning for Real Madrid

ReputationRep:
    TBH the last two El Clasico clashes have failed to entertain me, I just hope both teams step up a gear and perform well in the CL fixtures.

ReputationRep:
    Pep just said that Iniesta is out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    Pep just said that Iniesta is out.
    Yeah, with Pep also replying to Mourinho's earlier comments by saying: “since he has chosen to to talk about me, I’ll do the same - tomorrow we’ll face each other on the pitch at 20.45. He’s won his games off the pitch and I’ll give him his personal Champions for that - just take it home and enjoy it. We can come up with plenty of examples too, but there’s no end to it, so tomorrow we are simply going to go out onto the pitch and play. I don’t want to compete with him in a press room –he’s the boss at that – a magician and I don’t want to play at making insinuations about him all the time”.

Also:
    Pep referred to Sergio Ramos’s comments: “I saw them. It’s something his club told him to say. I’ve seen it before with Mourinho, he did it at Chelsea and now he’s doing it here”.

Any ideas what they were?

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he say Mourinho is the ****ing boss?

ReputationRep:
    I think Barca will make it over the 2 legs.

Though I'd much prefer Real Madrid to go through. Not because I prefer them in any way - but imagine Mourinho, back at Wembley. Sir Alex vs Mourinho, the master vs the successor, Ronaldo vs his old club, Mourinho and the English media =).

ReputationRep:
    Is Mourinho sat in Madrid laughing at Pep's swearing rant? I can understand the latter's anger at Jose's comments but I just feel he's maybe given some little psychological booster to Mourinho but any video of this Guardiola conference? These two games are going to be tight. Difficult to judge a winner.

ReputationRep:
    It lasted a total of four minutes and 50 seconds. And nobody could believe what they were hearing.

This was Pep Guardiola. The epitome of cool. The master of allowing his team to do the talking. Having his Kevin Keegan moment, only worse.

Jose Mourinho has got completely and utterly under his skin. Just as he has done with Rafa Benitez, Frank Rijkaard and Arsene Wenger.

And the Special One will have enjoyed his glass of red with some satisfaction last night as he watched, live on Spanish TV, the man who had humiliated him so completely on the pitch in November, self-destruct just as totally off it.

The question that sparked the ‘f-word’ tirade was innocuous enough. Indeed everyone in the Bernabeu press room had expected Guardiola to brush aside claims from his incendiary *counterpart that he moans about referees even when they get *decisions right.

But Guardiola was steaming about Mourinho’s take on Barcelona’s disallowed ‘goal’ by Pedro in the Spanish Cup Final last week. TV replays showed the decision to be correct.

Afterwards Guardiola had quipped: “We would have won if the linesman had good eyesight.” And that was enough for *Mourinho to dangle the bait in front of the Barca coach yesterday. Last night Guardiola bit big time. This is what he said: “Jose permitted himself the luxury of calling me Pep so I’m going to call him Jose. Which one is his camera? Tomorrow at 8.45 we will play on the field.

“Off the pitch he has won the entire year, the entire season and he probably will in the future. He can have his personal championship off the field. He can go home and enjoy it.

“But we are happy with smaller victories, trying to get the world to admire us, and we are very proud of this.

“I can give you an immense list of things. We could remember Stamford Bridge and another thousand things but I do not have that many people working for me. I do not have secretaries and referees and people writing stuff. So tomorrow, 8.45pm, we will take to the field and we will try to play football as best as possible.

“In this room Mourinho is the chief. The f*****g leader, the f*****g boss. The person that knows everything about the world and I do not want to compete with him at all.

“All I know is that we worked together for four years. He knows me, I know him and that’s all.

“We know there are fairytales spun by newspapers not far from here and Florentino Perez (Madrid president). I always thought when people didn’t understand me it was because I hadn’t explained myself well. But not this time.

“He can believe me or believe what he reads. I am not going to justify my words. He can keep the secrets from the Copa Del Rey all he wants. After their victory I congratulated Real Madrid and that is what Barcelona does. We congratulated Real Madrid for the cup that they won on the field against a team that I *represent proudly.”

Guardiola hadn’t finished, either. Told that it was the most animated anyone had ever seen him, he said: “I respond to him because he (Mourinho) said Pep.

“I have to respond. Normally he talks in general about a club, a team, a coach. This time he said Pep. He believes I said something I didn’t say.

“It leaves a bad taste in your mouth that a person you used to work with believes the media ahead of you.”

Mourinho has already *outmanoeuvred Guardiola when he was boss of Inter, dumping his Barcelona side out of last season’s Champions League at this stage.

Mourinho has shaken off the 5-0 mauling at the Nou Camp in November to reinvent Real, allying defensive steel to their freescoring attack.

A draw in La Liga this month was followed by that Spanish Cup win in their own personal world series.

Now, ahead of tonight’s first instalment of the semi-final, it is clear that Guardiola is rattled before his biggest test – against Mourinho the man.
    The media really do read too much into things tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Well done Pep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pgreg1)
    I think Barca will make it over the 2 legs.

Though I'd much prefer Real Madrid to go through. Not because I prefer them in any way - but imagine Mourinho, back at Wembley. Sir Alex vs Mourinho, the master vs the successor, Ronaldo vs his old club, Mourinho and the English media =).
    Me too! Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    Did he have a breakdown / reaction or was this a pre-planned and calculated outburst?

Either way I reckon Guardiola should have stuck with the "we'll let our football do the talking" adage because it was the most powerful. Mourinho knows how to push people's buttons precisely.

Unfortunately he cannot win when it comes to Mourinho's WUMs. Mourinho always drags people down to that level but beats them with WUM experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Did he have a breakdown / reaction or was this a pre-planned and calculated outburst?

Either way I reckon Guardiola should have stuck with the "we'll let our football do the talking" adage because it was the most powerful. Mourinho knows how to push people's buttons precisely.

Unfortunately he cannot win when it comes to Mourinho's WUMs. Mourinho always drags people down to that level but beats them with WUM experience.
    It's ridiculous how good Mourinho is at winding people up. He really is amazing at breaking someone down and knowing exactly what will cause a meltdown.

I want to get emotionally invested in this tie as the Inter Barca second leg last season had me as emotionally invested in a match ad I have ever been and I couldn't have possibly enjoyed it any more.
    Watching Mourinho WUM onto the pitch was :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    It's ridiculous how good Mourinho is at winding people up. He really is amazing at breaking someone down and knowing exactly what will cause a meltdown.

I want to get emotionally invested in this tie as the Inter Barca second leg last season had me as emotionally invested in a match ad I have ever been and I couldn't have possibly enjoyed it any more.
    Watching Mourinho WUM onto the pitch was :coma:
    Ditto. Last year I was supporting Inter because of the underdog effect. The last 20 minutes or so of the game at the Nou Camp gave me a heart attack and shredded my nerves completely. The pure attack v pure defence concept made the whole thing even more incredible. Shame I watched that game on some hideous stream otherwise it would have been a perfect experience (well, for an armchair fan like me).

Not really sure who to support this time. One side of me wants to appreciate the football without caring for the teams, but firstly, I doubt there will be too much to appreciate and secondly it takes the fun and emotion out of the tie as well. I doubt I could be impartial in a game like this either. I'll probably tend towards Madrid because I've watched them more this season and I think it would be utterly hilarious if Mourinho conquers Barca again. Then again, if Barca win, which I think they will at the Nou Camp quite comfortably, it would be good to have supported one of the best teams in history maybe?

Though I'm hoping I have a nervous breakdown in the game to stop me watching any more games. I become so excited about these games that I lose literally 4 hours of revision a day watching, researching and reading the build-up. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    This clash is on ITV and it's the Champions League so this thread should be a lot busier for this El Classico! Hopefully it is significantly better than the previous two which I haven't been very impressed with, Barca seem to have quite a few injuries, maybe Madrid could nick it :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    I seriously hope Madrid nick it. I have a man crush on Mourinho due to his power of WUM :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I think todays will be the good one. Barca to win 1-3 :beard:

ReputationRep:
    Who will take 0-0 before the match? :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mess.)
    The media really do read too much into things tbh.
    Worse than Keegan? I hate the press sometimes.....

ReputationRep:
    Madrid to win 1 or 2 nil with some beautiful pieces of anti-football ffs :sogood:

ReputationRep:
    Draw 2-2 tonight, but Real to win by 1 - 0 next week and go through to meet ManU in final

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.