Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

El Clasico - La Liga, Copa Del Rey and UCL Hype Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonanse)
    That's just inaccurate; the style of play is ingrained into that game moreso than in other countries [of course it's starting to appear everywhere]. Or have you already forgotten last years Inter Milan sending off?
    It's not. Just because there is a few instances of one team doing it, doesn't mean the whole league does.

That's no excuse for some of the behavior that occurred; as stated previously no other team, in my recent memory, has gone down claiming more fake injuries than Barcelona tonight...it was their gameplan.

Not as many incidents in such a short period of time; and its never been so blatantly the tactical decision of both sides to attempt it.
    You're right, its no excuse. But its not isolated to Spain/Barca. I can remember watching a few PL games this season where its been laughable how many times certain players have gone down.

Football is lost in terms of respecting the referee because of its weak governing bodies. The "respect the referee" campaign is a complete joke, not the message, but the way its been executed. Add in over-payed, over-rated footballers who know arguing with the referee gives them an advantage in the long run and you have the laughable state of the modern game.
    IMO, if football really wants to clean up, it needs to enforce yellow/red cards for diving/playacting/surrounding the ref etc. Sure, it may ruin football for a week or two, but im pretty sure managers will force their players to act like adults to avoid finishing with 7 men.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. That and I cba.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    It's not. Just because there is a few instances of one team doing it, doesn't mean the whole league does.
    Well I'm talking, very specifically about which teams dive, cheat and so on in Champions League matches. Spanish teams have a history, moreso than any other, of this kind of behavior. I still think it's more common in La Liga than any other league [hence why I responded to your initial reply rather than stating the above], but you're free to have your own opinion on the matter.

You're right, its no excuse. But its not isolated to Spain/Barca. I can remember watching a few PL games this season where its been laughable how many times certain players have gone down.
    Sure, it happens, but not on this level - and not like that. I've never seen a PL team have a player strectured off [when the offender didn't even make contact with him] only to continue playing moments later.

I've never seen a PL team run up to the referee after every single foul the way Barcelona did.

I've never seen a team so scared of making a challenge on a player because they know he'll dive [Messi's second goal].

IMO, if football really wants to clean up, it needs to enforce yellow/red cards for diving/playacting/surrounding the ref etc.
    Technically it already does but do you want to be the referee slated by the biased governing body [not to mention the fans] for actually enforcing it? Then there's the whole "keeping the game flowing" ordeal.

I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree. That and I cba.
    Fair enough.

ReputationRep:

Watch the last slowed down replay.

There is no contact between Pepe and Alves.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sandeep90)

Watch the last slowed down replay.

There is no contact between Pepe and Alves.
    who is that in your sig? :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Disgusting match to watch, Messi aside. Dissapointing El Classicos with this one ruined by yet another red card. Pepe was keeping Messi quiet and it looked like the game would finish 0-0.

The diving from Di Maria, Alves, Busquets and Pedro :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    Some absurd comments on here but its become the norm. Thought i had wasted precious sightseeing time until an hour went by and finally the ref noticed real had been set out to hack and stamp at every opportunity. If stoke had played like that people would be calling for their expulsion from the league. Mourinho should have gone for combed launch as he did in the copa but played the home tie in complete fear and justly got booted out. Great to see him being sent to the stand which was approx five metres from the dugout, such wum. I thought only mourinho could get the better of pep and he seemed to right until kickoff but with hindsight he obviously got it wrong. Sergio and pedro didnt exactly cover themselves with glory and should get some attention but lets not forget we saw the best player of a generation score a delightful goal and win the tie, so it wasnt all doom and gloom ffs

ReputationRep:
    What a clown ffs. Can't believe I wasted a good few hours watching this ****.

ReputationRep:
    Spain aiming for there 6th Champions League since 1998.

England have only won 3 in the last 27 years.

Spain also looking for their 5th Uefa Cup since 2004.

So much England being the 'best league' in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear ... isn't it funny how a week or two ago I was saying how Spanish football is crap? Now look .. yes I am boss.

The amusing thing about tonight is that the centre of discussion is the playacting/diving - but let's not forget how awfully boring the actual game was! :laugh: Frankly embarrassing. Tell me this, will last night's game between the two Spanish sides or Arsenal vs Man United at the weekend be more exciting?? Errrmm not even comparable. We've had 3 'el classicos' and every single one of them have been boring as ****. As usual the game being played at walking pace, with Barca making endless 5 yard passes between their centre backs and Xavi who would come short to replay the ball back to the centre back. Pathetic. No excitement whatsoever. But that's Spanish football for you.

Just a few things .... Casillas is about the only decent player on that pitch. Literally every other player to grace that pitch is a slimy scumbag?? Pathetic. I can't think of another player who is halfway decent as a human being. Every single one of them are disgusting people. Messi is the only other one who is halfway respectable but even then he's not all that good as a person; he disciplines himself not to get too involved in wrong doing just to protect his reputation.

Does anyone feel like Barca are run under some kind of Hitler style dictatorship? It's like there's some powers above in the game who are choosing Barcelona to outdo everyone through cheating.

Whilst Barca were beyond a joke today, that shouldn't excuse Real Madrid who frankly are just as bad. People complain about tonight's game - which abused the game of football IMO, but this has been coming for a while. Look at the way Marcelo celebrated when he basically conned the referee into getting Crouch sent off. It made me sick, they are just as bad. So I don't feel any pity for Madrid, I just pity this shower of ****e we had to witness which abused the sport today. Saying that, I hate Barca more than Real like most.

Lastly, whilst Messi took his 2nd goal beautifully aren't people going a bit over the top? He sidestepped 2 defenders and caught them flatfooted, it's not as if he's dribbled through 6 men and rounded the keeper. Surely he's scored better goals than that.

Anyways, what a ****ing awful game of football .. thank **** I am not Spanish. Arsenal vs United this weekend - back to normality fellas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ABCI23)
    This isn't how football's meant to be played.
    Our national team may not be the best, but we definitely have the best domestic league in the world (Premier League).
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Spungo)
    Two circus shows on the pitch, fans of both teams and the game itself should be hanging their head in shame at this pathetic excuse for a fixture.
    Disgraceful.
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    This skill character is having a shocker, i proclaim her the new deshi :adore:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skill)
    Oh dear oh dear oh dear ... isn't it funny how a week or two ago I was saying how Spanish football is crap? Now look .. yes I am boss.

The amusing thing about tonight is that the centre of discussion is the playacting/diving - but let's not forget how awfully boring the actual game was! :laugh: Frankly embarrassing. Tell me this, will last night's game between the two Spanish sides or Arsenal vs Man United at the weekend be more exciting?? Errrmm not even comparable. We've had 3 'el classicos' and every single one of them have been boring as ****. As usual the game being played at walking pace, with Barca making endless 5 yard passes between their centre backs and Xavi who would come short to replay the ball back to the centre back. Pathetic. No excitement whatsoever. But that's Spanish football for you.
    The reason why the games are boring is because Mourinho plays such negative football, since when are games with a team parking the bus exciting? The reason why this doesn't happen in England is because Barcelona quite frankly are superior than any other team in the world and everytime a big team plays against us bar Arsenal they play defensively. You name it, Inter, Chelsea, United etc all play this way and the games are boring as a result. You'll never see a United and Arsenal game being played like this, why because Barcelona's possession ability is on another level to any other team so there is no point in competing outright otherwise you run the risk of getting hammered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    Equally, based on tonights game, I think you'd be hard pressed to find more than 3 barcelona players who dived or feigned injuries - with obvious cases being Alves and Pedro.
    Busquets as well, Busquets went down so often clutching his face it became more funny than repulsive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mermania)
    he's scored 42 goals this season
    and the 42nd was the winner in the cup final against Barcelona a week ago

people have absurdly short memories these days

:lolwut:
    This.

If Messi didn't exist Ronaldo would be the best in the world right now, bar none.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    I'm sorry but to suggest that this kind of simulation and lack of morals happens everywhere is simply absurd. I see a lot of matches across the world, and Spanish football is definitely the worst - with Barca being the kings of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CB91)
    What a retarded thing to say. Every team and league has their divers. Its no worse in Spain than it is in any other league. It was only highlighted tonight because it was such a big game that was incredibly close. Combine that with several hot-headed players and just how much pressure was on them and it was always going to be a horrible game to watch.

Im not defending Alves', Pedro's and to a lesser extent Busquets' actions, but you see the same sort of stuff week in week out all over the world.

Its a shame really because you have these massive rugby layers calling the ref sir, then you have these dumbass footballers rolling around and diving. Football could be so much better.
    That is such BS mate. All you have to do is watch one highlights programme of La Liga just to see how much more they love to take a tumble there compared to any other place. These guys do it week in week in out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barça)
    The reason why the games are boring is because Mourinho plays such negative football, since when are games with a team parking the bus exciting? The reason why this doesn't happen in England is because Barcelona quite frankly are superior than any other team in the world and everytime a big team plays against us bar Arsenal they play defensively. You name it, Inter, Chelsea, United etc all play this way and the games are boring as a result. You'll never see a United and Arsenal game being played like this, why because Barcelona's possession ability is on another level to any other team so there is no point in competing outright otherwise you run the risk of getting hammered.
    This
    -------------------
    Also
    In the post match press conference, José Mourinho severely criticised the referee Herr Stark and insinuated that UEFA treated Barça favourably. The Club’s legal department are now studying whether to take his remarks to the UEFA disciplinary Commission.

The Real Madrid manager said. “Josep Guardiola is a fantastic football coach, but he has won one Champions League which would embarrass me after the scandalous goings on at Stamford Bridge and this year if he wins it again it will be after the scandalous goings on at the Bernabéu”.??

He further accused Barça, claiming: “I don’t know if it’s the UNICEF publicity or the friendship of Villar at UEFA, where he is vice president, I don’t know if it’s because they are so nice, but they have got great power. The rest of us have no chance”.
    Read:
    Pepe red sealed their fate, but Real Madrid and Jose Mourinho went too far with their negativity and ill-discipline

Live by the sword, die by the sword – Jose Mourinho has always been the master of mind games, but this time he was beaten at his own game
    --------------

At one point Cristiano Ronaldo got so annoyed with how deep his team were defending he gesticulated wildly for them to help him out as he chased lost causes up front.
    He spent the next 30 seconds sulking in the centre circle. Mesut Ozil buzzed around and looked as though maybe he could be a difference-maker, but his reward was a spot on the bench for the second half.
    Pep tactically outsmarted Mourinho last night. As the ITV pundits clearly pointed out, Messi wasn't playing as a front 3, but as a fourth midfielder. Villa for the first time played out wide during the whole match and the same goes for Pedro, which meant Albiol & Ramos had no man to mark. In defence it was 4 Barca vs 3 Madrid players, while in midfield it was also 4 Barca vs 3 Madrid players. This meant that Di Maria, Ronaldo, Oezil & Alonso had little or no possession of the ball and this was evident from the 1st minute where Barca dominated these 2 areas with ease(with or without Pepe). As a result, Oezil had no contribution in the 1st half and Mourinho was forced to sub him and bring on Adebayor at half time. The impact Adebayor brought into the 2nd half was shown in the first 10 minutes, where Madrid kept the ball better in that time than they did in the entire 1st half.

Is there any conincidence that all Barca vs Mourinho games are ending like this? The tactics used by Mourinho against Barca has been same and this is what Pep has found out in the last two meetings especially. And when Mourinho's plan is not working, the games ends with fights and controversial moments.
    Inter vs Barca(San Siro), same tactics, while attacking with alot of intent. 3-1
    Barca vs Inter(Nou Camp), same tactics, with no intent on going forward. 1-0
    Barca vs Madrid(Nou Camp), same tactics, with some attacking threat. 5-0
    Madrid vs Barca(Bernabeu), same tactics, with minimum attacking. 1-1
    Barca vs Madrid(Mestalla), same tactics, while attacking with more intent. 0-1
    Madrid vs Barca (Bernabeu), same tactics, with little attacking. 0-2

Mourinho has used the same defensive approach Pep in every meetings and Pep has finally outsmarted him. That is my view.
    ----------------

I still agree with the fact that Alves(twice), Busquets(twice), Pedro(once) dived or did some playacting but Marcelo and Di Maria did the same! The fact that Pepe's red is getting all the headlines, we shouldn't forget that Marcelo and Adebayor could have got red themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I don't care if it's Spanish culture or derbies or whatever. I've watched various derbies over the years and I haven't see Goalkeepers running out Valdez-style to the referee everytime an incident happens.

ReputationRep:
    Casillas did the same yesterday and the previous meetings. It is a common thing between these 2 teams. If people believe this is what happens in every Spanish matches, then I would find it crazy but it's an opinion which everyone has and can't be changed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 7, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.