Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

El Clasico - La Liga, Copa Del Rey and UCL Hype Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dosvidaniya)
    Can't really be bothered to reply on the rest... it seems we have differing opinions on Barca's levels of cheating. I'd say only Busquet's looking through the hands thing was the only real show of cheating other than yesterday.
    I guess it depends how biased you are. You claim to watch Barcelona all the time, rather than occasionally, thus you obviously care about the team to a higher degree than myself.

You do realise that when a team are at home they are expected to play differently?
    Of course, but just because they're away doesn't mean they have to play a specific style. They can't talk all this bull**** about the beautiful game and then play in the manner they did.

Plus who said Barca played overly defensive ?
    You, if you read your own posts...

Barca were obviously just gonna play possession football if the home team are not willing to anything but defend. There is no hypocracy there.
    I'm saying the points you made were hypocritical, not Barcelona...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    Ronaldo has said the tactics weren't ideal, and also said he'd do the same as Messi if he played against ten men....
    He would say that now wouldn't he....although I like him and he used to play for ManU which I support...I wonder if he would have been able to do what Messi did against ten man. Most often than not, Ronaldo doesn't turn up in Big games for club and country. He did get the winner in the Cup last week, but he needs to stop sulking and focus on his football.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Resonanse)
    I guess it depends how biased you are. You claim to watch Barcelona all the time, rather than occasionally, thus you obviously care about the team to a high degree than myself.

Of course, but just because they're away doesn't mean they have to play a specific style. They can't talk all this bull**** about the beautiful game and then play in the manner they did.

You, if you read your own posts...

I'm saying the points you made were hypocritical, not Barcelona...:rolleyes:
    Last Post lol. Wow you're so patronising, I don't think I'm biased towards Barca and I am quite sure they don't cheat as much as you claim. Plus Barca can play anyway they want to, if you can berate me for (what you perceived me to be, but what I actually didn't say) expecting teams to play attacking football against Barca then I can do the same for Barca not going at Real.

Can you point out where I claimed Barca played overly defensive too ? I genuinely don't rememeber saying that.

Point out my hypocracy too ? I'm sure I didn't call or even insinuate that Barca played overly defensive.

ReputationRep:
    Last Post lol. Wow you're so patronising,
    Thank you.

I don't think I'm biased towards Barca and I am quite sure they don't cheat as much as you claim. Plus Barca can play anyway they want to
    You're incorrect on this point.

if you can berate me for (what you perceived me to be, but what I actually didn't say) expecting teams to play attacking football against Barca then I can do the same for Barca not going at Real.
    "Again put the game into context, what team would go out and attack Real knowing they have one of if not the best counter attacking teams in the world ? "

Is what you said.

Can you point out where I claimed Barca played overly defensive too ? I genuinely don't rememeber saying that.
    "Again put the game into context, what team would go out and attack Real knowing they have one of if not the best counter attacking teams in the world ? "

You implied it here - and on another occasion I can't be bothered to find. If that doesn't imply they played defensive I don't know what does.

Point out my hypocracy too ? I'm sure I didn't call or even insinuate that Barca played overly defensive.
    "Again put the game into context, what team would go out and attack Real knowing they have one of if not the best counter attacking teams in the world ?"

I already did - go look at the post in question; in the first paragraph you berated Real Madrid for not attacking then posted the above. It all stems from that line.

ReputationRep:
    Liverpool ended Chelsea's 2005 European campaign with a 1-0 victory at Anfield thanks to a heavily disputed Luis Garcia goal.
    Mourinho: "The best team lost. After they scored only one team played, the other one just defended for the whole game.
    Was that really him? :toofunny:

-------------------
    Messi
    Sport revealed that the Argentine playmaker, who scored both goals in the Bernabeu including an astounding individual effort to put the Cules one step away from the final, was in some discomfort after the match and was checked by medical staff.

The doctors discovered a micro-tear as well as several areas of bruising, product of a brutal encounter with Jose Mourinho's men.

'La Pulga' will definitely be ruled out of Saturday's clash with Real Sociedad, and will be wrapped in cotton wool by Barcelona to give him the best chance of making the second-leg in the Camp Nou.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you.

You're incorrect on this point.

Is what you said.

You implied it here - and on another occasion I can't be bothered to find. If that doesn't imply they played defensive I don't know what does.

"Again put the game into context, what team would go out and attack Real knowing they have one of if not the best counter attacking teams in the world ?"

I already did - go look at the post in question; in the first paragraph you berated Real Madrid for not attacking then posted the above. It all stems from that line.

Lol not my last post then, so because I said they shouldn't go out and attack Real that means that I insinuated that Barca played 'overly defensive' ? There is a difference between going out and attacking a team and playing possession football and picking your moments carefully. Both of which Real done none of despite being at home. Again I can't see the hypocracy...

ReputationRep:
    Stupid point. Barcelona's play acting and crowding the referee clearly influenced the situation.
    Unless you are telepathic, its you making the stupid point. Saying something "clearly" or "obviously" is clearly your point of view.

Stupid point. That occurred after Barcelona had scored and Chelsea had a player wrongly sent off due to Barca's pressure on the referee.
    He was one of the influential midfielders at the time. There was still time in the game to score.

Stupid point. You're making excuses for their behavior, whether they got through is irrelevant, the fact they got a player sent off for a contentious "foul" by crowding the referee is the interesting factor in this debate..
    Again your opinion you don't know it influenced the ref.

Stupid point. The red card still came about due to Barcelona's play acting and under hand tactics.
    Anyone seeing a pattern?

Stupid point. They played the majority of the match, and indeed when they had gotten back in, with 10 men as a result of the dubious red card. This is actually the one case you can't argue Barca really crowded the referee or did anything wrong but it does support Jose's claims that the governing body is over protective of Barcelona.
    He was sent off in the 60th minute, so its not even half the match. What the governing body has to do with that decision only you know. Protective? The referee made a decision, there was no consultation with higher bodies afterwards, so what on earth is that meant to mean? No claims supported there at all.

Stupid point. How this exactly defends Barcelona from the level of cheating they produced I do not know..
    I wasn't defending Barca in that statement I was talking about how you said madrid don't employ negative tactics i.e. anti football.

Explain.

Oh you can't - because that doesn't even mean anything...

Stupid Point.
    Barcalona don't exactly hold press confrences debating their style of play nor the antics of pedro etc. Its the media and other people that do. Hiding implies Barca come out and defend decisions. They don't, they get on with the football. Its their supporters that do.

You realize he lashed out at the leg of a player when the ball had gone right?.[/QUOTE]

He was late, he didn't lash. Look at a replay.

Stupid point. How exactly does faking an apology make the tackle better or worse?
    Firstly you don't know he faked it, you don't personally know messi, doubt you've ever seen him face to face. Secondly whether a card is given can be based on a word called intent, ever heard of it? Doubting it so far.

I'm not sure why you're calling me out then talking about Ronaldo but whatever - this is actually true though, well done you.
    You said there would be an uproar if Ronaldo kicked the ball into the crowd like messi did. But thanks?

Stupid point. Of course referees favor one team or another due to reputation and so on; they're only human and they're football fans too...
    The world isn't perfect but referees are picked to be neutral. So every referee just happens to favour Barca? Pedro etc have been play acting for years. If anything it should be against Barca not for them.

True, he leaves that nonsense to the rest of his team-mates...
    Yea they plan before the game so that messi will act innocent and let pedro do his thing because they are so cunning and spend hours in training tapping each other on the shoulder and going to ground holding their faces. Not. Again - the play acting has rarely gone in favour of Barca.

Stupid point. It's never a good thing..
    Random nit picking.

Stupid point. This is also the Madrid team that were holding out well until the sending off.
    Barca had more chances and messi was beggining to get through. Don't call that holding out well.

Stupid point. Barcelona had few chances until Pepe was sent off when they were able to dominate due to Madrid's lack of cover in front of their defense.
    Someone needs to look at stats. More shots by Barca in the first half than the second. Someone clearly wants to forget villa's and xavi's attempts.

Stupid point. The idea that cheating should be accepted and applauded as a game plan is mind-boggling.
    Didn't say it should be accepted and applauded. Your commenting on the cheating yet it didn't have any affect on the games result. Pepe caught alves with his studs so alves that time went down in pain, so it wasn't acting. That is my point.

In conclusion...you make a lot of really stupid points with little hold in reality or any strong reasoning behind them.
    The reality is your opinions are not fact. You say the ref was influenced without any proof. Theist by any chance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by W.H.T)
    ....as opposed to Man Utd who have always played with absolute integrity, producing fine honest players such as Ronaldo and Rooney who have never dived or feigned an injury in their entire career?

:rolleyes:

The point is, your letting the green-eyed monster get into the way of your judgement. Just because Barcelona are successful in winning trophies and are getting praised through the roof by every football journalist there is out there, it doesn't mean that their so-called 'dishonest tactics' deserves to be magnified out of proportion. Lets put things into perspective, all teams are guilty of deploying such means to gain unfair advantages over their opponents.
    I never said anything to even remotely imply the first sentence... quite the opposite in fact, as I said I detest United. Nani, for instance, is about as bad as Busquets. I know that all teams will try and win and that means conning the ref. I am not, however, exaggerating the extent to which Barca do this. They take this to a level higher than any other team I have seen, ever. It's not just the attitude of one or two individuals that is wrong, it's the mentality of the whole team. The mentality is for me highly disagreeable - not only because I believe diving and attempting to get your opposition yellow or red carded on a regular basis during the match is immature and shows a lack of respect towards your opponent, but more importantly because it gives the sport of football a bad name and makes it frustrating to watch.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said before lets hope valdez gets injured.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milkytea)
    I never said anything to even remotely imply the first sentence... quite the opposite in fact, as I said I detest United. Nani, for instance, is about as bad as Busquets. I know that all teams will try and win and that means conning the ref. I am not, however, exaggerating the extent to which Barca do this. They take this to a level higher than any other team I have seen, ever. It's not just the attitude of one or two individuals that is wrong, it's the mentality of the whole team. The mentality is for me highly disagreeable - not only because I believe diving and attempting to get your opposition yellow or red carded on a regular basis during the match is immature and shows a lack of respect towards your opponent, but more importantly because it gives the sport of football a bad name and makes it frustrating to watch.
    Mentality of the whole team? they have 3 divers in there first team (Pedro busquets and alves) albeit Villa is a bit dirty.

But anyway why is diving any worse than purposefully fouling your opponents? Not to mention that the worse diver in that game did not play for barca.

ReputationRep:
    Mourinho reported to UEFA by Barcelona:

Barcelona have announced that they intend to report Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho to Uefa over his tirade against coach Pep Guardiola following the visitors' 2-0 Champions League semi-final, first-leg win on Wednesday night at the Bernabeu.

"Yesterday Mr Mourinho went over the line. We trust in Uefa measures," said board member and club secretary Antoni Freixa Martin.

"The president decided to convene a special meeting and we will report the coach of Real Madrid to the Control and Disciplinary Committee of Uefa for his statements. They constitute a fraction of Article 5," he continued.

"We cling to point B and D of the article because we feel the club's reputation has been damaged.

"We have reacted because there has been an offence against the club, players, staff and fans."

The Catalan side has taken action after Mourinho suggested Barcelona's victories were based on scandal.
    Also, UEFA open cases on Mourinho, Real Madrid and Pinto:

Real Madrid coach Jose Mourinho will face a disciplinary hearing into his sending-off and subsequent outburst.

Real midfielder Pepe and Barca reserve goalkeeper Jose Manuel Pinto will also face hearings after being shown red cards in the semi-final first leg, UEFA said following a petulant semi-final first leg.

The Madrid club will have to explain incidents of missile-throwing and a pitch invasion during their 2-0 defeat at the Bernabeu, UEFA said.

According to Graham Hunter(Sky Sports journalist), who attended the press conference held by the Barcelona Board this evening, commented that the board will take any action in order to defend the history, prestige and respectability of their members, fans, players, coaches and managers with their work. The board also revealed to the press, that the Madrid fans chanted racist comments to Alves during the whole match and they intend to take this matter seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scotttb)
    Mentality of the whole team? they have 3 divers in there first team (Pedro busquets and alves) albeit Villa is a bit dirty.

But anyway why is diving any worse than purposefully fouling your opponents? Not to mention that the worse diver in that game did not play for barca.
    It's not just the diving but the crowding round the ref, shouting at the ref and opposition players etc. which the whole team contributes to. It's not limited to this either, Iniesta for example at the Nou Camp against Arsenal ran over to Wilshere when he was on the floor injured (this was 20 minutes in, mark you) and started shouting at him and I presume implying that he was time-wasting. That also led to the handbags and Van Persie's first yellow. That sort of stuff plays on the ref's mind. Would a player have been sent off for kicking the ball 1 second after the whistle if the players didn't act like that?

Purposeful fouling is hard to qualify, how do you know it isn't just poor tackling? Not that that isn't bad, but bad tackles are nearly always punished, whereas diving is rarely answered with a booking.

I suppose you mean Di Maria - and yes, his diving was bad and I'm not defending him or Madrid - but what he did was not as bad as Pedro, which was off the ball and thus playing on the fact that the ref wasn't watching... much more likely to end up with Arbeloa sent off with this "tactic" - happened to Kaka in the World Cup when an Ivory Coast player ran into him off the ball. Then we have Busquets' face grabbing for no reason. Tbh I find this to be much worse than what Di Maria did.

ReputationRep:
    lol Mourinho went into that game trying to beat Barcelona 1-0 because it's the only way Real can beat Barca and he knows it, that's why his comments should be more understandable after Pepe's sending off

Spanish football is and will never be as great as English football, yesterday properly demonstrated one of the reasons why, the apparent "two best teams in the world" and that's the best they have to offer

The two best teams in the world are United and Chelsea, both would beat Barca on fair grounds

Come on United!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)

The two best teams in the world are United and Chelsea, both would beat Barca on fair grounds

Come on United!!
    lol

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jay92)

lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by skeanos)
    Unless you are telepathic, its you making the stupid point. Saying something "clearly" or "obviously" is clearly your point of view.
    That makes no sense; nor does it fit with the context of the matter - clutching at straws.

He was one of the influential midfielders at the time. There was still time in the game to score.
    Ok, really now do I need to explain this incredibly simplistic point to you in terms your intelligence level can understand?

- It doesn't matter because I'm not talking about results.
    - If you actually read my points you'd see I'm talking about the tactics used by Barca to con the referee.
    - Therefore Ballack's skill level doesn't matter in this context - it's about the reasoning behind Chelsea going down to ten men, not the fact they didn't score.

[Oh and for good measure going down to ten men significantly damages your ability to score].

Why is that so difficult to grasp?

Again your opinion you don't know it influenced the ref.
    They wouldn't do it if it didn't influence the referee...

Anyone seeing a pattern?
    Yeah, I see a pattern of you making idiotic points that don't fit in with the context of the discussion, but claiming I'm "wrong" anyway. Claiming the other teams skill level is the cause of their loss when I'm specifically stating Barcelona got a player sent off in those games through cheating - nothing more.

He was sent off in the 60th minute, so its not even half the match. What the governing body has to do with that decision only you know. Protective? The referee made a decision, there was no consultation with higher bodies afterwards, so what on earth is that meant to mean? No claims supported there at all.
    I don't even want to have to explain this to you. I will, because I'm nice like that, but really if you're so....mentally challenged...that you find it difficult to understand the point I'm discussing then it's probably lost on you - I could tell you weren't the brightest in the shed from the points you made earlier, hence I didn't take much time to explain things in detail as to why you were inaccurate in your points...

Ok then, let's begin by saying, for good measure, that the score, timing of the sending off don't matter at all - it's the way Barcelona react and bully the referee into making these incidents that matters. In this case the very second Van Persie kicked the ball a number of Barca players complained to the referee and later caused a melee around him to both anger and demoralize the Arsenal players - it's basic gamesmanship - and they do it all the time.

Secondarily this incident defiantly supports Jose's claims because time and again you see Barcelona players performing the same actions with no consequence. I guarantee there will be no action taken by UEFA against them for their actions in the Madrid match, whilst you can be sure the same will not be true of Madrid.

I'm not even going to bother commenting on your claim that "The referee made a decision, there was no consultation with higher bodies afterwards" to be a reasonable argument, since I'm sure you missed the point of the argument.

I wasn't defending Barca in that statement I was talking about how you said madrid don't employ negative tactics i.e. anti football.
    I don't beleive I claimed that, you probably mis-understood, I stated that they played a smart tactical style that was working until Barcelona deliberately got a player sent off - to me Barcelona's tactics were more "anti-football" than Madrid's.

Barcalona don't exactly hold press confrences debating their style of play nor the antics of pedro etc. Its the media and other people that do. Hiding implies Barca come out and defend decisions. They don't, they get on with the football. Its their supporters that do.
    Perhaps you missed the press conference before the match?

He was late, he didn't lash. Look at a replay.
    He punched out at the leg of an opponent, I don't know what incident you\re talking about. He should have been booked for his challenge late on anyway; especially considering the reasons other players were booked for.

Firstly you don't know he faked it, you don't personally know messi, doubt you've ever seen him face to face.
    Of course I haven't, nor would I want to - the guys only a footballer - nobody important.

Secondly whether a card is given can be based on a word called intent, ever heard of it? Doubting it so far.
    Shawcross clearly didn't have any intent to break the leg of Ramsey - it doesn't mean he shouldn't have been given a red card - playing by that rule is moronic - if a tackle misses the player then a yellow card can be given for intent and so on yes - but a bad tackle is still a booking whether the player meant it or not.

You said there would be an uproar if Ronaldo kicked the ball into the crowd like messi did. But thanks?
    Of course there would be; if not the incident would certainly gather more media attention - the Spanish press hate Mourinho.

The world isn't perfect but referees are picked to be neutral. So every referee just happens to favour Barca? Pedro etc have been play acting for years. If anything it should be against Barca not for them.
    I don't recall stating that I'm specifically talking about them always favoring Barcelona here - you're making that assumption, but in general terms the point is inaccurate.

Yea they plan before the game so that messi will act innocent and let pedro do his thing because they are so cunning and spend hours in training tapping each other on the shoulder and going to ground holding their faces. Not. Again - the play acting has rarely gone in favour of Barca.
    3 red cards in 3 years speaks wonders about their play-acting ability. In fact Inter Milan's sending off was entirely due to play-acting.

Random nit picking.
    Shouldn't have made such a stupid point then.

Barca had more chances and messi was beggining to get through. Don't call that holding out well.
    Please point out all the clear cut chances they had...they were pushing forward; something Madrid wanted, so they could then counter-attack. You clearly lack tactical understanding.

Someone needs to look at stats. More shots by Barca in the first half than the second. Someone clearly wants to forget villa's and xavi's attempts.
    I don't recall Barcelona coming extremely close to scoring, and even if they did it was a rarity.

Didn't say it should be accepted and applauded.
    Your previous comments would say otherwise.

Your commenting on the cheating yet it didn't have any affect on the games result.
    :rolleyes:

Yeah, going down to ten men and loosing their key defensive player, forcing the team to change shape and work harder doesn't effect the result at all does it?

Pepe caught alves with his studs so alves that time went down in pain, so it wasn't acting. That is my point.
    He didn't even touch Alves. It's play acting.

The reality is your opinions are not fact. You say the ref was influenced without any proof. Theist by any chance?
    I stated Barcelona attempted to get players sent of by running towards the referee after every incident, which is correct. The proof is the fact that in all three ties players were sent off.

Congratulations on your perception skills though :rolleyes:

Edit: Ok, after reading this again a few hours later I realize I went a little overboard with the insults in between points - don't take it personally, I was just irritated you were unable to grasp what I was trying to say but proclaimed me incorrect anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Lol not my last post then, so because I said they shouldn't go out and attack Real that means that I insinuated that Barca played 'overly defensive' ? There is a difference between going out and attacking a team and playing possession football and picking your moments carefully. Both of which Real done none of despite being at home. Again I can't see the hypocracy...
    Your entire reasoning stems from the delusion that because a team is at home they must attack. They don't.

Thus it's a hypocritical point.

ReputationRep:
    Your entire reasoning stems from the delusion that because a team is at home they must attack. They don't.

Thus it's a hypocritical point.
    For **** sake mate, you need to learn to read. I never said they must attack at home, all I said was you cannot expect Barca to be playing attacking football away against an ultra defensive team, the inference was on Barca not Real. Remember ? you implied the way they played was usual of Barca's general play. I disputed this by saying the only reason they played like this was because of Real's defensive system at home. I never said or even implied that Real SHOULD attack them because they were at home, again I will reiterate so you can understand:

MY WHOLE ARGUMENT BASED ON THE WHOLE HOME/AWAY THING WAS ALWAYS AIMED AT BARCA, AND YOU'RE MISGUIDED VIEW THAT THIS IS HOW BARCA USUALLY PLAY. NOT ONCE DID I CLAIM REAL SHOULD ATTACK THEM.

Face it, what you said about me saying Barca were 'overly defensive' made no sense. You are wrong here ok ? There is no hypocracy...

Again, in case you didn't hear me the last time, where did I say or even imply anything about Barca being 'overly defensive' ?????????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VENIVIDIVICI)
    He would say that now wouldn't he....although I like him and he used to play for ManU which I support...I wonder if he would have been able to do what Messi did against ten man. Most often than not, Ronaldo doesn't turn up in Big games for club and country. He did get the winner in the Cup last week, but he needs to stop sulking and focus on his football.
    1 goal in the CL final at Moscow, 2 in the CL semi final against Arsenal, the winning goal of the Copa Del Rey, numerous important goals in the league in England and Spain. Yep, the man clearly is a flat track bully.:rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 7, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.