Turn on thread page Beta

A logical, secular, non-homophobic reason to ban gay marriage. watch

ReputationRep:
    "Homosexual relationships do nothing to serve the state interest of propagating society, so there is no reason for the state to grant them the costly benefits of marriage, unless they serve some other state interest. "

-Adam Kolasinski

ReputationRep:
    Still trying too hard.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of the population serves no state interest.

ReputationRep:
    Is the whole point of marriage to propagate society? Plenty of people doing that outside of marriage these days

ReputationRep:
    What does propagating society even mean?

ReputationRep:
    I don't see how normal marriage helps society all that much anyway. . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Magellon)
    "Homosexual relationships do nothing to serve the state interest of propagating society, so there is no reason for the state to grant them the costly benefits of marriage, unless they serve some other state interest. "

-Adam Kolasinski
    We should take away the rights of anyone who isn't "propagating society"? What about the elderly? Children? Sterile wo/men?

ReputationRep:
    Your threads are **** tbh.

ReputationRep:
    It's just a rehash of the same old argument that gays can't have kids, so there's no need to allow them to marry. It fails on many levels; such as infertile couples, elderly couples and couples who simply don't want to have kids. On this logic, we should be banning marriage for any couples over child bearing age.

This argument relies upon the theory that the state "rewards" couples who are likely to bear children with tax breaks and other associated benefits, and consequently, homosexual people ought to be excluded. This is, however, a poor argument as very few people get married for material benefits such as tax breaks.

Marriage is, pure and simple, an expression of love and devotion between two consenting adults. It is not in the states interest to deny that to any couple, irrespective of sexuality or ability to bear children.

ReputationRep:
    OP is gay. Obviously not strong enough to push open his closet door yet.

I don't understand why gay people even want to get married, marriage is such a useless, pointless thing.

ReputationRep:

-Adam Kolasinski
    If you mean propogating in the basic sense of enlarging the population through reproduction, then it is true.

However, I fail to see why this is a disadvatage for society at this point. In much of the world the average age of the population is in the low twenties in areas with high unemployment already (e.g Yemen; Pakistan etc). Seems to me a good dose of homosexuality could do some good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    I don't understand why gay people even want to get married, marriage is such a useless, pointless thing.
    so you never want a wife?

that is your opinion.

I want to get married when I eventually settle down to show my commitment towards the woman I'm with and to share a special day with her and both of our families.

ReputationRep:
    Propagating our society is exactly what we want to avoid. The world's population is expected to peak at nine billion this century. There is an argument that homosexuality evolves in a comfortable society for population control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by domino0806)
    More about asserting rights than anything else.

Quite agree though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arekkusu)
    Propagating our society is exactly what we want to avoid. The world's population is expected to peak at nine billion this century. There is an argument that homosexuality evolves in a comfortable society for population control.
    An argument which I have never been able to understand because it makes no sense-a gene that causes a failure to reproduce is as big a faux-pas in evolutionary terms as one that stops you breathing.

ReputationRep:

-Adam Kolasinski
    The state has no interest in propagating society - if they have the voters they need to become the government, what incentive do they have to produce potential dissidents? Also I'd argue that having a financial reason against something does not mean having a good reason to argue against something. For example - denying non-whites benefits makes financial sense, but I personally (as a white, middle class Briton) would hunt down and murder any elected MP that advocated that stance, and I damn well promise you that now-any BNP candidates who're elected, I will murder.

ReputationRep:
    OP's so far in the closet he's in Narnia

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bj_945)
    An argument which I have never been able to understand because it makes no sense-a gene that causes a failure to reproduce is as big a faux-pas in evolutionary terms as one that stops you breathing.
    Well it's not quite the same. If you can't breathe, you die so it's impossible to breed. If you're homosexual, you're far less likely to have children, but your body is still physically capable of it. Certainly in the past when it wasn't considered acceptable there must have been a huge amount of gay people that had children.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, and we must all dedicate our lives to the State. Otherwise what's the point!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.