Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Borisvian, I am currently working in Southeast Asia and I travel to many parts of Asia including East Asia, South Asia and the Middle East. In general, yes, Warwick isn't Harvard or Oxford, but it is a respected name to those who have heard of it.

Contrary to this common misconception on TSR that Imperial and UCL are famous in Asia, both unis are just as regarded as Warwick, though Imperial is a little respected for engineering and UCL for medicine. But niether Imperial nor UCL carries a brand name that generally perceived to be superior to Warwick or something in the level of Stanford, Berkeley or MIT.

ReputationRep:
    What is wondering me is the fact that Cranfield is in nearly every well known university ranking under the top 15 for MBA worldwide. WSJ ranked on rank 1, economist rank 11 etc. For the matter of fact that the MBA is the most prestigous course, I wonder why people dont count Cranfield to the top-tier in the UK?

In my opinion all these ranking can not be that wrong...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saint_vieha)
    What is wondering me is the fact that Cranfield is in nearly every well known university ranking under the top 15 for MBA worldwide. WSJ ranked on rank 1, economist rank 11 etc. For the matter of fact that the MBA is the most prestigous course, I wonder why people dont count Cranfield to the top-tier in the UK?

In my opinion all these ranking can not be that wrong...
    I think it's more of the fact that Cranfield is largely a grad/postgrad institution, so it's not popular amongst the undergrad students and fresh grads demographic, which actually counts the vast majority of posters on this board. They become aware of it only after they are in the work place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    Borisvian, I am currently working in Southeast Asia and I travel to many parts of Asia including East Asia, South Asia and the Middle East. In general, yes, Warwick isn't Harvard or Oxford, but it is a respected name to those who have heard of it.

Contrary to this common misconception on TSR that Imperial and UCL are famous in Asia, both unis are just as regarded as Warwick, though Imperial is a little respected for engineering and UCL for medicine. But niether Imperial nor UCL carries a brand name that generally perceived to be superior to Warwick or something in the level of Stanford, Berkeley or MIT.
    Where do you get your bull **** from, seriously? You might currently 'work' in South East Asia, but I've actually lived there for 18 years, and I'm friends with many prominent investment bankers and financiers.

UCL is perceived as slightly better than Warwick.

Imperial is perceived as significantly better than both UCL and Warwick.

I can certainly say that Imperial is up there with the top American Universities, from a South East Asian perspective. And yes, that includes Stanford, Berkeley and MIT. Not so much Harvard, that's perceived at more of an Oxbridge level. But Imperial is perceived as close to Oxbridge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Borisvian)
    So as you live there, I withdraw what I said : what are the most well-known uk universities in Asia ( I plan to work there in the future) : the big 4 : Oxford-Cambridge/Imperial-LSE ? Thanks
    From a South East Asian and East Asian perspective:

1. Oxbridge
    2. Imperial and LSE
    3. UCL and Warwick

Then the rest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilustrius)
    From a South East Asian and East Asian perspective:

1. Oxbridge
    2. Imperial and LSE
    3. UCL and Warwick

Then the rest.
    Wow, you seem to be contradicting your own words. In a post just above this one, you mentioned Imperial > UCL > Warwick. But look what you just wrote here. Your logic don't seem to appear quite cohesive.

But I don't have to be confrontational with you. After all, we both are educated Asians. lol

I guess it depends on your circle. I am a bona fide Asian. I have a dual citizenship but one of which is a Souteast Asian country. I have lived in Asia for more than 20 years, and as part of my job now, I hop from one Asian country to the other.

In my circles, we don't regard Imperial and UCL superior to Warwick, Manchester and Cranfield. In my circles, we regard them equally. In my circles, individual merits are what often count, not the school brand name, when applicants come from the same pool of universities.

ReputationRep:
    I live in North-America and I confirm what Illustrius said, no one among my friends know cranfield or Manchester, personnally, I have never heard of them before subscribing to this forum,I knew only Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE and also Warwick Business school(not Warwick), internationally speaking, they are above all the others.

You have three circle :

1)Oxford-cambridge
    2)Imperial-LSE
    (GAP)
    3)Warwick(little-littel gap)-UCL

Lol have you checked the Finance and accounting group at cranfield, they have 4 professor with very low backgrounds it s a joke, I am sure you r gonna change you r opinion if you check it

ReputationRep:
    I live in North-America and I confirm what Illustrius said, no one among my friends know cranfield or Manchester, personnally, I have never heard of them before subscribing to this forum,I knew only Oxbridge/Imperial/LSE and also Warwick Business school(not Warwick), internationally speaking, they are above all the others.

You have three circle :

1)Oxford-cambridge
    2)Imperial-LSE
    (GAP)
    3)Warwick(little-littel gap)-UCL

Lol have you checked the Finance and accounting group at cranfield, they have 4 professor with very low backgrounds it s a joke, I am sure you r gonna change you r opinion if you check it
    I was talking about the brand name of the school in the business community and corporate world, which I believe Cranfield gets the same respect Imperial and Warwick get. I understand why quite a few people have heard of Cranfield as it is a grad/postgrad school, by and large. But the same can be said about LBS, IMD and those schools in Italy and the Scandinavian countries which largely offer grad and postgrad education. Not having heard of Cranfield does not make it a less respected business school. I bet billions of people haven't heard of LBS or Tuck or Haas. That doesn't make those schools less respected.

ReputationRep:
    Let's see if Imperial is really superior to Cranfield/Manchester/Warwick business schools. Now let's try to pull out some statistics so we can establish the superiority of Imperial brand name as some TSR poster allege.

IMPERIAL COLLEGE
    Annual intake 64 (full time) 313 (distance learning)
    Applicantslaces 2:1 (full time) 1:1 (distance learning)
    Average GMAT score 650 (full time)
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 50%
    Number of industry sectors that recruited graduates: 8
    % of faculty with PhD: 79%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 105,700
    Asian Students:

WARWICK BUSINESS SCHOOL
    Annual intake 74(full-time) 1717 (distance learning)
    Applicantslaces 4:1 (full-time) 2:1 (distance learning)
    Average GMAT score 610
    Number of industry sectors that recruited graduates 11
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 88%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 87,053
    Asian Students: 41%
    North America: 9%

CRANFIELD SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
    Annual intake: 137
    Applicantslaces 4:1
    Average GMAT score: 669
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 94%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 105,225
    Asian Students: 34%
    North America: 2%

MANCHESTER
    Annual intake: 145 (full-time) 824 (global MBA)
    Applicantslaces 4:1 (full-time) 2:1 (global MBA)
    Average GMAT score 625
    Number of industry sectors that recruited graduates 9
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 76%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 114,282
    Asian Students: 46%
    North America: 6%

It looks like Imperial is not a cut above the Manchester/Cranfield/Warwick (MCW). In fact, it has the lowest percentage of graduates employed after 3 months form graduation with only half of their graduates were able to seek employment, although the average salary rate is higher than Warwick. But being the smallest program, with only 64 intake for every year, the 50% employment rate is worrisome, not to mention it is located in the heart of London where most of the big companies' headquarters are, in fact, there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Roxas)
    Let's see if Imperial is really superior to Cranfield/Manchester/Warwick business schools. Now let's try to pull out some statistics so we can establish the superiority of Imperial brand name as some TSR poster allege.

IMPERIAL COLLEGE
    Annual intake 64 (full time) 313 (distance learning)
    Applicantslaces 2:1 (full time) 1:1 (distance learning)
    Average GMAT score 650 (full time)
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 50%
    Number of industry sectors that recruited graduates: 8
    % of faculty with PhD: 79%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 105,700
    Asian Students:

WARWICK BUSINESS SCHOOL
    Annual intake 74(full-time) 1717 (distance learning)
    Applicantslaces 4:1 (full-time) 2:1 (distance learning)
    Average GMAT score 610
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 88%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 87,053
    Asian Students: 41%
    North America: 9%

CRANFIELD SCHOOL OF MANAGEMENT
    Annual intake: 137
    Applicantslaces 4:1
    Average GMAT score: 669
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 94%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 105,225
    Asian Students: 34%
    North America: 2%

MANCHESTER
    Annual intake: 145 (full-time) 824 (global MBA)
    Applicantslaces 4:1 (full-time) 2:1 (global MBA)
    Average GMAT score 625
    Number of industry sectors that recruited graduates 9
    % of graduates in jobs 3 months after graduation: 76%
    Post-MBA salary ($) 114,282
    Asian Students: 46%
    North America: 6%

It looks like Imperial is not a cut above the Manchester/Cranfield/Warwick (MCW). In fact, it has the lowest percentage of graduates employed after 3 months form graduation with only half of their graduates were able to seek employment, although the average salary rate is higher than Warwick. But being the smallest program, with only 64 intake for every year, the 50% employment rate is worrisome, not to mention it is located in the heart of London where most of the big companies' headquarters are, in fact, there.
    well, as usual, where are your sources?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Theophile)
    well, as usual, where are your sources?
    what do you mean by, "as usual"? :rolleyes:

http://www.economist.com/media/wmba/imp.pdf

ReputationRep:
    WE were talking about general brandname and about Mscs Finance and you are comparing MBA, come on....LSE for example has no MBA program,
    the times ranking for reputation places Imperial 11th in the world just by brandname...are you more reliable than the TIMES magazine...you use the placement rate for one year to draw conclusions:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Wharton has a placement rate of 84 % and harvard of 90 % so according to your logic it means that Cranfield is better than them and it has a better brandname than harvard and Wharton the best MBAs in the world

ReputationRep:
    Wharton has a placement rate of 84 % and harvard of 90 % so according to your logic it means that Cranfield is better than them and it has a better brandname than harvard and Wharton the best MBAs in the world
    I doubt it very much that if Cranfield were in the US, it would beat Harvard in employment statistics.

What I am really saying is, it is pointless to compare British institutions to their US counterparts in terms of employment statistics when they have a different sets of recruiters. CEIBS is China registers an almost 100% employment rate 3 months from graduation. Although I am convinced that CIEBS is an amazing business school, I would not say it is better regarded than Harvard despite the glaring differences of their employment success rate. I hope you got my point.

ReputationRep:
    WE were talking about general brandname and about Mscs Finance and you are comparing MBA, come on....LSE for example has no MBA program,
    the times ranking for reputation places Imperial 11th in the world just by brandname...are you more reliable than the TIMES magazine...you use the placement rate for one year to draw conclusions:mad:
    AFAIK, school name can't be measured based on the strength of its MSc Finance program but by the strength of its MBA program. The MSc Finance program is relatively new and not quite a lot of schools offer it. Harvard, Wharton, Northwestern-Kellogg, for example, do not offer MSc Finance, yet these are said to be three of the finest brand names in the world. With the exemption of those very well-established institutions such as LBS, Oxford, Cambridge and LSE (in the UK) and Berkeley, Princeton, Stanford, MIT, Columbia, Chicago and NYU (in the US), the prestige of the MSc Finance is highly correlated to the prestige of the MBA program. In other words, most business schools that offer top-notched MBA program is automatically perceived to be offering a top-notched finance program, but NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND. And, Imperial isn't an exemption.

If you care about brand name in the business community or corporate world, go look for those schools that offer the best MBA program. In such case, I'd recommend LBS, Oxford and Cambridge in the UK; INSEAD in France; IMD in Switzerland; and Harvard, Wharton, Stanford, Berkeley, Kellogg, Chicago, MIT and Columbia in the US. Again, that is, if you care about the brand power of your MSc degree, regardless of your major.

ReputationRep:
    LBS is the best but it ain't cheap.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 25, 2011
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.