Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Well without divulging too much, a few years ago I had an idea for a website, however at the time with exams and such I never got around to really pushing it. Recently I have revised the idea and started writing out a business plan in regards to the concept, ideas, research and so on. Now obviously im not going to talk about the concept right now but I still need some general advice in regards to cost. But basically once the plans are written out and I have gauged more public opinions on the concept the next step will be seeking out investors. However, the nature of the website means that building a demo version would be a necessity in order to effectively demonstrate the usefulness of such a site to investors.

Now the site would basically focus around a searchable database which would be organically grown via users creating accounts. As a demo it would not have to be fully functional but be able to demonstrate the general platform idea and look good.

In order to have this built how much would I be looking at? Would it be best to seek out a serious web design company around Shoreditch or a local free-lancer? I know im going to be talking thousands, but how many im not quite sure?

ReputationRep:
    A website demonstration that we're working on at the moment for someone who's also just looking for something to take to VC's to get further funding was quoted a couple of thousand.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to say since you don't really provide enough details on what your project is about. But, having lots of experience in the field, I can tell you that I'll probably be four figures. Though, you could always cut costs by outsourcing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, to give you an indication the work I'm currently doing whilst at uni is web based, using the Microsoft.net MVC Framework. It's healthcare stuff, so there's quite a few intricacies in it and stuff, but some of the administration stuff says their going rate is £600 a day for a developer. Dunno if they actually charge less than that though.

ReputationRep:
    I've been making these sorts of websites for a couple of years now, and don't charge anywhere near thousands of pounds. If you were to provide a little more information, I could PM you with a quote?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sepharoth)
    I've been making these sorts of websites for a couple of years now, and don't charge anywhere near thousands of pounds. If you were to provide a little more information, I could PM you with a quote?
    If you were doing it to the same quality, then you're seriously undervaluing yourself. You should double your charge. Then double it again. And again. Until you stop getting business.

Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that he's undervaluing as much as many people and companies over-value their work. Lots of these design companies charge hundreds of pounds for simple websites with nothing more than a few pages of html, css and a bit of javascript. That shouldn't be anywhere near that kind of valuation. And when you get into the more complex sites involving server-side scripts, databases, etc... the cost sky rockets, even though it's really not worth that kind of money.

ReputationRep:
    I think this guy is worth a try: Web developer and SEO Consultant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    It's not that he's undervaluing as much as many people and companies over-value their work. Lots of these design companies charge hundreds of pounds for simple websites with nothing more than a few pages of html, css and a bit of javascript. That shouldn't be anywhere near that kind of valuation. And when you get into the more complex sites involving server-side scripts, databases, etc... the cost sky rockets, even though it's really not worth that kind of money.
    How are you defining worth?

The market worth of a service is just what the market is willing to pay for those services. If someone is offering the same service for a cost the dramatically undercuts the market value, then they're either not earning anywhere near their potential or doing orders of magnitude more work for the same income.

ReputationRep:
    However they may get an increased quantity of work which more than makes up for charging a lower rate?

Btw guys im heading up London tonight but will post details tomorrow. Thanks a lot for the info so far

Peace out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)

The market worth of a service is just what the market is willing to pay for those services. If someone is offering the same service for a cost the dramatically undercuts the market value, then they're either not earning anywhere near their potential or doing orders of magnitude more work for the same income.
    Yes, but is the market worth simply because non-technical people are being conned into thinking some things are much more complicated to make than they really are ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thirst)
    Well without divulging too much, a few years ago I had an idea for a website, however at the time with exams and such I never got around to really pushing it. Recently I have revised the idea and started writing out a business plan in regards to the concept, ideas, research and so on. Now obviously im not going to talk about the concept right now but I still need some general advice in regards to cost. But basically once the plans are written out and I have gauged more public opinions on the concept the next step will be seeking out investors. However, the nature of the website means that building a demo version would be a necessity in order to effectively demonstrate the usefulness of such a site to investors.

Now the site would basically focus around a searchable database which would be organically grown via users creating accounts. As a demo it would not have to be fully functional but be able to demonstrate the general platform idea and look good.

In order to have this built how much would I be looking at? Would it be best to seek out a serious web design company around Shoreditch or a local free-lancer? I know im going to be talking thousands, but how many im not quite sure?
    It depends entirely on the demo; on how complex it is.

You'll have to submit all the necesary details about your demo to a company and ask for a quote.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by estel)

And how about outsourcing?

Someone could offer the same service with the same or even greater quality because they live somewhere in the world where the cost of living is cheaper, labor rate is lower and the exchange rate, etc, etc...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OceanInTheSky)
    Yes, but is the market worth simply because non-technical people are being conned into thinking some things are much more complicated to make than they really are ?
    Kind of. Kind of not. Regardless of how relatively complicated it is, the basis of any profession is that the client pays for access to someone with a set of skills that they don't. If there's a shortage of people with those skills relative to demand, then the price of those peoples' time naturally rises.
    My point is that regardless of how simple a task might seem to a developer, value is always determined by the market, not the producer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyla2011)
    And how about outsourcing?
    Exactly what I suggested earlier. If you want to have the best value for your money, you'll either have to do it yourself or look for someone you'll do it for you for the price you are willing to pay. I have good experiences with Freelancer.com -- although it's not satisfaction guaranteed. Again, it depends on who you choose -- as always in life -- and don't forget to always ask for references or a portfolio no matter who it'll be in the end.

ReputationRep:
    How about you go to a builder or architect with this:

"I want to build an extension on my house. I can't really tell you what materials it's going to be made of or even how big it is. I can't divulge how many stories there are or whether the foundations are any good. I haven't decided what quality of finishing I would like either. I do know it will involve most of the standard house stuff - you know rooms with floors, doors that open all that kind of stuff. So can you tell me how much that is going to cost?"

ReputationRep:
    NDAs need to be signed by whoever is building the website OP, I'm sure you already know this but as you're being extremely coy with the business plan it is up to you to make a business plan teaser (don't make it too vague) and show this to some reputable developers. Its only once you've got someone on board that they should sign an NDA and then read your full ideas. In short, you will need to work out what you can and can't say to someone who hasn't signed your agreement in the teaser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chickenkatsu)
    NDAs need to be signed by whoever is building the website OP, I'm sure you already know this but as you're being extremely coy with the business plan it is up to you to make a business plan teaser (don't make it too vague) and show this to some reputable developers. Its only once you've got someone on board that they should sign an NDA and then read your full ideas. In short, you will need to work out what you can and can't say to someone who hasn't signed your agreement in the teaser.
    You could go to all the trouble but it really isn't worth it. NDAs need to be enforceable in court, so that means getting a lawyer involved (ouch, expensive). Also, decent firms will charge extra for working within an NDA. It's more than likely nothing a decent web developer won't have seen hundreds of times before anyway.

Finally, if the idea is so easily reproducible that anyone who hears your elevator pitch could go and "do it" then it probably isn't that good an idea anyway.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.