Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Someone is quoted in the prospectus as saying so, are they wrong?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    What is the exact quote?

We have a hardship fund for emergency support to students, but no specific means-tested bursary.

These links might help.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...yth_University
    http://www.uwe.ac.uk/advice/money/bursaries.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AberInsider)
    What is the exact quote?

We have a hardship fund for emergency support to students, but no specific means-tested bursary.
    Ah ok, thanks. The quote is "I received the excellence scholarship and the bursary for low income, which help to finance my studies." (Ruth Leatherland, BSc Marine and Freshwater Biology)

ReputationRep:
    I think i'm receiving £1,000 for low income, so I presume yes? When on student finance they ask you if you want to share your income info with the uni and click yes, that means that Aber'll see your income and grant you some monies per year. Can AberInsider verify?

http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/media/Web-tables-e.pdf

It's called the Aberystwyth Bursary??

ReputationRep:
    I have checked in the office, and the bursary quoted in the prospectus refers to the Aberystwyth Bursary. This bursary was means tested, and allowed those from low-income households to receive additional financial support at university. Unfortunately, this bursary has now been discontinued. Eligible current students will still be receiving payments for this academic year, but this will stop for 2011/12.

As an alternative to the Aberystwyth Bursary, the University raised the Residential Bursary, which all students are entitled to, from £500 to £800. This allows for the financial benefits to be provided to all new students.

The full list of bursaries provided is available here - http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/scholarships/uk/

EDIT: The Finance Office have since stated that the Aberystwyth Bursary will still be available to continuing students, however not for new students starting in 2011/12.

ReputationRep:
    I have checked in the office, and the bursary quoted in the prospectus refers to the Aberystwyth Bursary. This bursary was means tested, and allowed those from low-income households to receive additional financial support at university. Unfortunately, this bursary has now been discontinued. Eligible current students will still be receiving payments for this academic year, but this will stop for 2011/12.

As an alternative to the Aberystwyth Bursary, the University raised the Residential Bursary, which all students are entitled to, from £500 to £800. This allows for the financial benefits to be provided to all new students.

The full list of bursaries provided is available here - http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/scholarships/uk/

ReputationRep:

That is not an alternative for current students who aren't in halls or who won't recieve that bursary in their final year even if they are. I've heard nothing about this.

Are you basically admitting that the university is basically leaving in the lurch the students who come from low-income families who, quite possibly, may have just needed that extra grand a year to help fund their studies? And no - before its mentioned - the financial contingency fund is not a decent enough alternative; you have to be really struggling to survive and pushing the edge of your overdraft to be eligable, and even then, the funding for it means any grants are stingey.

Heres a suggestion - instead of paying that useless Vice Chancellor over 300k a year, perhaps we could dock his wages and put the money into something useful - like, I don't know, funding students?

Just a thought. /Rant.

ReputationRep:

Also, to point out some mis-information:

http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk..._schema=PORTAL

Student Finance Wales seem to be suggesting that current students will/should, at least, recieve a minimum of £338 in Welsh National Bursary (which, remembering from the Bursary payment forms, made up part of the payments.)

Aberystwyth is on that list, and it says for 2011/12 - so what's going on, exactly? Can there be a bit more clarification regarding this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovvy)
    That is not an alternative for current students who aren't in halls or who won't recieve that bursary in their final year even if they are. I've heard nothing about this.

Are you basically admitting that the university is basically leaving in the lurch the students who come from low-income families who, quite possibly, may have just needed that extra grand a year to help fund their studies? And no - before its mentioned - the financial contingency fund is not a decent enough alternative; you have to be really struggling to survive and pushing the edge of your overdraft to be eligable, and even then, the funding for it means any grants are stingey.

Heres a suggestion - instead of paying that useless Vice Chancellor over 300k a year, perhaps we could dock his wages and put the money into something useful - like, I don't know, funding students?

Just a thought. /Rant.

This.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovvy)

Just a thought. /Rant.
    The funding for the Aberystwyth Bursary came from the Welsh Assembly Government. With reductions in funding to the University, maintaining this bursary was not feesable. Despite this cut, Aberystwyth University still has the best range of Scholarships, Bursaries and Awards of any university in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sovvy)
    Also, to point out some mis-information:

http://www.studentfinancewales.co.uk..._schema=PORTAL

Student Finance Wales seem to be suggesting that current students will/should, at least, recieve a minimum of £338 in Welsh National Bursary (which, remembering from the Bursary payment forms, made up part of the payments.)

Aberystwyth is on that list, and it says for 2011/12 - so what's going on, exactly? Can there be a bit more clarification regarding this?
    I have passed this query onto our Finances team, and will let you know of their response. Bear in mind that many staff are now on leave for Easter, and so they may not be able to reply right away.

ReputationRep:
    I have received a response from the Finance Office regarding the queries in this thread.

In regards to current students and the Aberystwyth Bursary:

The Student Finance Wales page linked to refers to the Welsh National Bursary, rather than the Aberystwyth Bursary. Please contact Student Finance Wales directly regarding information given on their website. Although the Aberystwyth University website no longer lists the Aberystwyth Bursary, it will still be available for continuing students.

In regards to new students for 2011/12:

The Aberystwyth Bursary has been discontinued for new entrants, however it has been replaced by an increased Residential Bursary. The Student Finance Wales page linked to refers to the Welsh National Bursary, rather than the Aberystwyth Bursary. For new students in academic year 2011/12, the Welsh National Bursary has been combined into the amount of Assembly Learning Grant. This is administered through Student Finance Wales, and not Aberystwyth University. Please contact Student Finance Wales directly regarding information given on their website. The full list of Bursaries provided directly by Aberystwyth University is available at http://www.aber.ac.uk/en/scholarships/

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 19, 2011
Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.