Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Teachers make GCSE's out as though they are really important, whereas other people say that they don't matter whatsoever. Do teachers say this just so you will study, or do you agree that they are important, and therefore help you to get better jobs etc?
    And also, how about A Levels? Are these important too?

Opinions please!

ReputationRep:
    Top universities will look at your GCSE grades and if they are picking between two people with the same grades at AS and equally good applications they will look at GCSE grades. Some jobs require you to have passes in GCSE subjects like teaching jobs will require you to have C grade or above in English GCSE. They aren't the most important qualifications you'll get in life but it's better to do well in them than not well, so try your best!

With A-Levels again, good A-levels = good university = better job prospects. Employers will also still look at your A-level grades and GCSEs (English and maths GCSE particularly).

ReputationRep:
    GCSE's are very important as you need them to move onto A-Levels.

Without GCSE's your pretty much screwed

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you want to do at uni - for example for medicineat some unis, your GCSE grades play a massive part and are really important!

ReputationRep:
    Getting into Universities is going to be much tougher due to the tuition fees and universities will be much more pickier, they will look at your GCSE grades as well as you A-levels and it could make all the difference between getting in and getting rejected. Employers also look at it when comparing you to other applicants.
    Its sort of a foundation for a house I suppose, if its good and strong then the rest e.g. A-levels, Uni and work should be all good

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they are. The better the university and the more competitive the course, the more your GCSE's count. For media studies at leeds met, don't bother showing up. Otherwise, do your best =]

ReputationRep:
    GCSEs are one of many tick boxes which need to be satisfied for accessing a professional job. The latter qualifications namely a degree and A Level are of more importance but the omission of good GCSEs can be a disadvantage. I would advice anyone to give their all as at the end of the day, each step on your journey is preparation for the next step. So work hard, do well, and be the best you can be!

ReputationRep:
    I suppose it depends to which course you are applying (eg. Medicine or Law will have higher entry requirements than Film Studies).

ReputationRep:
    yes they are to an extent, not only do they give you the BG knowledge to start your AS course but some top unis require you to have good grades in specific subjects at gcse eg. imperial want a B in english language.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dannyr)
    Teachers make GCSE's out as though they are really important, whereas other people say that they don't matter whatsoever. Do teachers say this just so you will study, or do you agree that they are important, and therefore help you to get better jobs etc?
    And also, how about A Levels? Are these important too?

Opinions please!
    I'm 23, if I could go back and do my GCSE's again I would work my absolute hardest. Since leaving school at 16 I've twice tried to gain entry onto an A level course at my local further education college and they turned me down because of my GCSE's, despite the fact they were impressed with my attitude and determination towards A levels, it came down to the simple fact that they don't alter the GCSE entry requirements for anyone, including mature students. So I'm going this September to study on a GCSE Fresh Start course for a whole year before I get to study A levels. Bearing this in mind, I would advise people to do the best they can otherwise you might be paying the price for it later down the line when your goals or ambitions change.

ReputationRep:
    it depends. I know people who did fairly poor on gcses but are now in university getting A's so it doesn't always affect your future state but it depends what you want to do. the top unis tend to look at gcses as well as a levels but many mainly look at a levels.
    A levels are what matter most as they determine if you get into uni and they are whats looked at by your future employers and to maybe take/do well in certain subjects you'll need t be getting atleast Bs in gcse.
    basically:
    good gcses = good a levels = good uni

ReputationRep:
    They only matter if you want to go to top universities like Oxford or Cambridge. And even if you did get all A*s there is still a chance you won't even get into those universities. Only one student from my school got in to Oxford last year and I go to a grammar school. Also they can also sort of matter to get a first job- good grades look good on a job CV.AND they matter to get into Sixth Form. (You usually need at least 6 A*- C grades). Having at least one or two A*s, a couple of As and maybe a few Bs and Cs would be fine.Really, GCSE's don't matter in the long term. They are just numbers on a bit of paper and many famous, successful people in today's society only just got Bs and Cs or even Ds.

ReputationRep:
    no they are not important idiotas!Alan Sugar got 1 GCSE and look where he is now. I'll show you pretty much screwed. you are worth more than a sheet of paper. each have your own unique, gifts and talents and skills. some of us are funny most of us are not. some of us are really friendly and caring etc.. what matters most is if you can use that to show the universities that you deserve a place at their so top accommodation, that you will strive in every way to get the best education out of it. that you will make their reputation an even greater success.

and also for the people who have failed (as me) 'if god wants you to fail, you will fail). I don't care if I failed my Gcse because I know things will be ok. I am doing alevels. But even if I have no love life etc.., not many qualifications etc... no money for uni etc.. it's the people who have suffered most I feel sorry for. the people in Syria, Lahore, Pakistan, etc.. the people in Pakistan who only learn Urdu and English and that's it.

Hillary Duff is my inspiration for this. I took a leaf out of her book. and u should too. your Gcse grades aren't important unless to progress onto a alevel course or uni. but for a job all you need is dedication and hard work. for some unis I've heard they accept talented people. if you have a talent or skill in a particular area. keep your eyes peeled. they might accept you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ju1c)
    GCSE's are very important as you need them to move onto A-Levels.

Without GCSE's your pretty much screwed
    I got into A levels with ACCC. Just 4. I'm not saying everyone will be so lucky and most uni courses ask for C minimum in Maths and English (as do a lot of jobs) but really they're not a dealbreaker into uni, A levels on the other are.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.