Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you lose your NCB if someone crashes into you? Because surely you're claiming of their insurer not yours?

Someone told me that any claim you make, you can potentially lose your NCB...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to argue against what that person said to you, because I am not 100% sure.

However, someone did crash in to the back of me a few years back and I still have my NCB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilrascal19)
    I'm not going to argue against what that person said to you, because I am not 100% sure.

However, someone did crash in to the back of me a few years back and I still have my NCB.
    Ah ok, did that go to insurance then? Hopefully someone will know for sure how it works.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potential Trigger)
    Ah ok, did that go to insurance then? Hopefully someone will know for sure how it works.
    Yeah, that was the first question I asked them haha. I just told them that someone had hit in to me and gave them the other party's insurance details and it went from there.

To be fair though, I mean, I can't really see how you could lose your NCB if someone has hit in to you. If they're taking responsibility for it, you should be okay.

Fingers crossed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilrascal19)
    Yeah, that was the first question I asked them haha. I just told them that someone had hit in to me and gave them the other party's insurance details and it went from there.

To be fair though, I mean, I can't really see how you could lose your NCB if someone has hit in to you. If they're taking responsibility for it, you should be okay.

Fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks hun, I think I'll take the money of this guy and settle privately, it was very minor.

My insurance is coming up for renewal too, so what sort of details do you need to tell them about a previous accident? Should they already have it on their system because they share stuff don't they?

I had one accident a year ago and it was settled as 50/50, again a minor one.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks hun, I think I'll take the money of this guy and settle privately, it was very minor.

My insurance is coming up for renewal too, so what sort of details do you need to tell them about a previous accident? Should they already have it on their system because they share stuff don't they?

I had one accident a year ago and it was settled as 50/50, again a minor one.
    If they know about it already, then yes, it should be on their system. If it were me though, I'd check with them just to be 100% sure and make sure they are aware that the party crashed in to you.

ReputationRep:
    Do you lose your NCB if someone crashes into you? Because surely you're claiming of their insurer not yours?

If it is their fault then the claim would go through their insurance, so you would not lose your NCB.

Gets a little more complicated if they aren't insured though, as you would have to claim through your own insurance. With some insurers you won't lose your NCB for this, I don't know which ones offhand though.

ReputationRep:
    You'll lose your NCB if you or anyone else make a claim against your insurance. If you claim against someone else's insurance you won't lose your NCB, but you will have to inform your insurers for a certain period of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)
    If it is their fault then the claim would go through their insurance, so you would not lose your NCB.

Gets a little more complicated if they aren't insured though, as you would have to claim through your own insurance. With some insurers you won't lose your NCB for this, I don't know which ones offhand though.
    Thanks, so the person who told me a claim is a claim is wrong then!

ReputationRep:
    2 accidents within a year... geez!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Potally_Tissed)

if your own insurer has to pay out on any claim, e.g. the other person who crashed into you doesnt have insurance, so your own insurance has to pay for your damage, then dont you lose your own NCB even if the collision wasnt your fault?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CalmDownMrRooney)
    if your own insurer has to pay out on any claim, e.g. the other person who crashed into you doesnt have insurance, so your own insurance has to pay for your damage, then dont you lose your own NCB even if the collision wasnt your fault?
    With some insurers this is the case. A few won't remove your NCB if you're hit by an uninsured driver and have to claim. I have a feeling Direct Line is one, but can't remember for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The the driver has had two accidents within a year doesn't mean anything. They could have been around terrible drivers who caused the accidents. My mother had two accidents within 2 months (one of which nearly wrote off a fairly expensive newish car) which were both caused by people pulling out of junctions at iffy times. Nothing she could do, just pure bad luck but it doesn't reflect anything on her driving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    I have been driving since 18, now 25 mate. Yeah 2 accidents in total. One was 50/50.

This one, someone went into the back of me while I was stationary at red lights. I am getting a nice cheque from the guy for that

I am pretty sure you have 6 points on your license for speeding and also wrote of a car or two?

I think you're the one who needs to keep his eyes peeled

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fosters88)
    Just because someone hits you does not mean they are at fault, it depends on the scenario, who had right-of-way etc.

You actually have to inform your Insurer of any accident, regardless of non-fault and regardless of no claim. The problem with this is there is then a record of this on your profile and unfortunately regardless of non-fault and no claim typically Insurers will use this against you and add additional charge on the next year(s) insurance. It is a win-win situation for the Insurers regardless of non-fault and no claim!

If you make a claim that does not involve a third-party you will loose your NCB
    If you make a claim involving a Third-Party and it does not go your way you will loose your NCB
    If you make a claim involving a Third-Party and it does go your way you keep your NCB
    If Third-party makes a claim against you and it goes their way you will loose your NCB
    If Third-party makes a claim against you and it goes your way you will keep your NCB

Keeping it simple and assuming you only claim if you know your not at fault:

1) assume not your fault and not setteling privately:
    you would make a claim on your insurance against the third-party. If all goes well and the case if won it will go down as claim made with full recovery i.e. full costs returned. your ncb will nor be peanalised.

2) assume you are at fault and you do not settle privately:
    a claim is made by the third-party against you. If all goes well for the third-party and the case is won it will go down on your record as a fault claim and you will loose ncb.
    Thanks yeah I know that it depends on right on way e.t.c I didn't mention in the post, I was stationary at red light, this guy thought it turned green and hit me from behind. Benefit of doubt goes to the driver in front if a rear end collision.

I took pictures and all his details and he was quick to settle privately. I just was wondering about NCB because someone told me a false statement. Thanks for clarifying.

ReputationRep:
    NCB should be fine I think. I just had a quick look and I *think* Churchill also pay your excess and protect your NCB if you get hit by an uninsured driver just like Direct Line do. I don't like Direct Line after a bad experience my brother had so really pleased other companies offer it too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    The the driver has had two accidents within a year doesn't mean anything. They could have been around terrible drivers who caused the accidents. My mother had two accidents within 2 months (one of which nearly wrote off a fairly expensive newish car) which were both caused by people pulling out of junctions at iffy times. Nothing she could do, just pure bad luck but it doesn't reflect anything on her driving.
    Good insight. I explained what happened in my last post.

JC just PMSing.

ReputationRep:
    I have been driving since 18, now 25 mate. Yeah 2 accidents in total. One was 50/50.

This one, someone went into the back of me while I was stationary at red lights. I am getting a nice cheque from the guy for that

I am pretty sure you have 6 points on your license for speeding and also wrote of a car or two?

I think you're the one who needs to keep his eyes peeled

I've been driving since 17 now 25. Never had an accident behind the wheel.
    No points on my licence at the moment. The ones I did have were 34mph and 36mph in a 30 zone both at around 2am.

ReputationRep:
    if it goes 100% in you faovur, then no.

but if you are coincided at all at fault, then you loose it
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

You only loose your no claims if you (or someone else) has to make a claim on your insurance. If you have an accident and its the other persons fault, and you claim on their insurance, then they loose their no claims, not you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 15, 2011
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.