Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys this is my first post here and I have a bit of a dilemma.

When I go to university next year I want to take a philosophy degree. Out of all the subjects I am taking at a level, it is the only one that I genuinely love.

But after that I want to become a primary school teacher.

So I was wondering, can these two exist with one another?

I really want to be a teacher but I don't want to end up doing a subject I don't LOVE for three years and have to pay for in order for this to happen

HELP!

x

ReputationRep:
    From what I know of it, you can build on your degree with a primary PGCE to allow you to have qualified teacher status and to hence become a primary school teacher - that's one of the options I'm considering after I get my English degree anyway . I don't think your degree matters as much for doing a primary PGCE as it would if you were doing a secondary PGCE (where obviously, if you wanted to teach a science subject, you'd have to have a BSc), however I think you'd have to say which bits of your degree wopuld be relevant to the national curriculum subjects. I reckon work experiance would be just as valuable for doing a PCGE than just a degree too, so you could use that to sell yourself with when the time comes

BTW, this is just from my own research because I think that's the route I want to go down, but I hope it helps a little!

EDIT: You could always scrap the idea of the philosophy degree and go for a BA in Primary Education instead...however, if you really love Philosophy I'd advise doing a degree in that subject instead of a subject you don't know very well and as you said, you might not love. That's my reasoning for opting for an English degree over a BA in Primary Education too

ReputationRep:
    Thank you That's cleared my head a lot
    I'm hoping that philosophy could link to the curriculum through r.e.
    Fingers crossed!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.