This discussion is closed.
AT82
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 15 years ago
I'm having to write a chatroom from scratch. I've got a basic engine working but it needs refining. The page refrehses every 3 seconds which is not enough as its not real time. However if it automaticaly referehses like it does now every 3 seconds this will waste bandwidth.

For this reason does anybody know of a javascript that will test for the enter key being pressed and then refresh?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by amazingtrade)
I'm having to write a chatroom from scratch. I've got a basic engine working but it needs refining. The page refrehses every 3 seconds which is not enough as its not real time. However if it automaticaly referehses like it does now every 3 seconds this will waste bandwidth.

For this reason does anybody know of a javascript that will test for the enter key being pressed and then refresh?
Do you mean to refresh the WHOLE web page?
Are you writing an applet or what?
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago

Is this for some coursework? Otherwise I'd have to suggest a decent irc network. Not Dal.net, IrCQNet, EfNet etc. One of the smaller ones would do you well. If it is coursework, what are the spefics of the exercise?
AT82
Rep:
?
Hiya no I am writing an SUK replica chat program. I've got it working I just need to work out how to get the page to fresh only when the user types in their next message. It will also refresh every 20 seconds as well (this bit I have already done).

Alternativly does anybody know any free IRC applets without banner adds and stuff?
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Hiya no I am writing an SUK replica chat program. I've got it working I just need to work out how to get the page to fresh only when the user types in their next message. It will also refresh every 20 seconds as well (this bit I have already done).

Alternativly does anybody know any free IRC applets without banner adds and stuff?
I'm sorry but I still don't know if you Are you writing an applet.

I don't know any but if you want I can help you, especially if you tell me what language are you using.
elpaw
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by Eternal Idol)
I don't know any but if you want I can help you, especially if you tell me what language are you using.
I think the language is self-evident as it is the title of the thread.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
I think the language is self-evident as it is the title of the thread.
Oh yes!!!!

I forgot that you could write an irc client in javascript...
:rolleyes:
AT82
Rep:
?
I'm sorry but I still don't know if you Are you writing an applet.

Lol sorry, I'm not coding it in Java, I'm doing it ASP. This what I have so far.

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/suk/chat.asp
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lol sorry, I'm not coding it in Java, I'm doing it ASP. This what I have so far.

http://www.robertson-i.co.uk/suk/chat.asp
No problem but I can't help, I don't know a **** of ASP, sorry.
:cool:
AT82
Rep:
?
Oh yes!!!!

I forgot that you could write an irc client in javascript...
:rolleyes:
Lol its not in javascript either, the whole thing is in ASP. I know its not the best way of doing it but its the only way I know how without using 3rd party services.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lol its not in javascript either, the whole thing is in ASP. I know its not the best way of doing it but its the only way I know how without using 3rd party services.
It was sarcasm because this guy doesn't know anything of programming and anyway he talks like Keving Mitnick.

The only serious way to do it is Sockets.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
It was sarcasm because this guy doesn't know anything of programming and anyway he talks like Keving Mitnick.

why dont you do it in assembly then, seeing as thats all you ever talk about
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
why dont you do it in assembly then, seeing as thats all you ever talk about
"I think the language is self-evident as it is the title of the thread."

At least I know what I'm talking about Mr Genius.
I can do it in Assembly, isn't that hard.

Try to do it in JavaScript ...
AT82
Rep:
?

Lol I guess we can't all be programmers, it did get me confused as how the hell you could write a chat program in using a client side langauge.
Sire
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Well, first problem is the username changing. Second is the list reverting to the top with each post. A few things to be worked on, but what refresh rate are you going for? people chat on IrCQNet with a 3-9second lag rate.

It doesn't really seem like Javascript though. Been ages since I've used it, but looks so different to what I remember. Then again, I've never tried to programme the stuff.
elpaw
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
"I think the language is self-evident as it is the title of the thread."

At least I know what I'm talking about Mr Genius.
I can do it in Assembly, isn't that hard.
so why the hell was amazingtrade ven talking about javascript?
AT82
Rep:
?
All I need to solve my problem is a simple javaescript that says:

if enter is pressed then refresh.

You can't do that in ASP because it won't be real time. If I can get that working I can get the chat working properly without eating all my bandwidth.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
Lol I guess we can't all be programmers, it did get me confused as how the hell you could write a chat program in using a client side langauge.
Isn't that hard being a programmer, you are in the right path, in a couple of years you gonna be an excellent one if you keep this pace.

The client-server paradigm; you make an application that can connect (ex. mIRC) to a server (ex. ircd). The client and server exchange messages by TCP/IP.
EI_123
Rep:
?
Report 15 years ago
(Original post by elpaw)
I don't know, that's why I've asked it.
Happy?
AT82
Rep:
?
(Original post by elpaw)
Because although the program is in ASP, I need to use a client side language to refresh the page when the user pressed the enter key. This way I don't need the automatic update.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
9.52%
They might tell the bully (4)
19.05%
I don't think they'd understand (3)
14.29%
It might lead to more bullying (7)
33.33%
There's nothing they could do (5)
23.81%

Watched Threads