Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so I thought since nobody had done so already, that I would make a thread regarding the upcoming Physics A2 exam on June 21st. I know it's a tad early for revision, but hey it's good to be prepared. Anyway, there are only 2 papers available to me from this new course, the specimen, and the one from June last year. Yes I am aware that there are plenty of legacy papers from the old specification, which I can find easily enough. However, there was also another G495 paper which was sat on February 2 this year, but obviously I can't find this paper anywhere online, since it hasn't been uploaded yet. Can someone who has access to this paper, please post it here so we can all use it for revision. The old papers never had a Section C, and so it is difficult to get practice on that section otherwise.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Good idea to put this up, would love any help revision notes for this exam, this is the big one for me this summer!

ReputationRep:
    I need 66% in this exam to get into uni. I've never got a C in my life but I am still quite wroried about this. I'm crap at the magnetic field stuff and it seems to be the focus of many of the papers I've done.

I didn't realise there was a feburary 11 exam, if anyone manages to get hold of it then that'd be great :P

I'd recomend buying the CGP revision guide if you havent already got it. I don't normally like the CGP stuff but its a lot better then the A2 text book imo.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, the revision guide hand in hand with the text book can both be quite useful IMO. And same, I think the magnetic field stuff is meant to be the most difficult area of the course.

ReputationRep:
    It isn't too early to start revision...
    I always recommend you ask your teachers and even search on TSR.

Good luck.

ReputationRep:
    is OCR physics different from GCE Physics? I'm doing GCE but we have physics exam on the same day

ReputationRep:
    GCE (General Certificate of Education) applies to all A Levels. OCR is one board which carries out exams for them. You may be with OCR, I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    guys pretty sure section C is the old spec?

ReputationRep:
    No, Section C which is based on a pre-release article was not on the old Field and Particle Pictures paper. They used to have instead a synoptic paper, which had an article at the end of it to answer questions on.

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone got the pre-released article? I urgently need one and the website is down until the 26th!

Someone please be a saint and send me it! :please:

ReputationRep:
    I dont have a digital copy but i did print it out. Its mostly about the measurement and 'invention' of the metre. They talk about methods such as the yard, meridian and milliare. The also talk about interferometers, electron energy levels and using the wavelength of light.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YdLeet)
    Has anyone got the pre-released article? I urgently need one and the website is down until the 26th!

Someone please be a saint and send me it! :please:
    Don't know if you've got hold of a copy by now but here it is anyway :
    http://cconline.cirencester.ac.uk/li...ase_Jun_11.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hi, Does anyone know of any links to notes/sample questions for the G495 pre release material? Struggling to think of what they might ask! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boyce99)
    Hi, Does anyone know of any links to notes/sample questions for the G495 pre release material? Struggling to think of what they might ask! Thanks
    Nope sorry but if anyone wants to discuss possible ones (I'll help) then that could be quite helpful

ReputationRep:
    The advance notice doesn't look nice, hopefully there'll be lots of show that questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm glad I found this thread, a similar thread for the G492 advance notice last year was very useful

I'm going through the advance notice article for this exam with my
    class and teacher tomorrow, so I'll try to remember to post what we come up with.

For the moment, the only questions I can think of would be a comparison of %accuracies which may need additional data but would tie in to earlier modules.

I also think that they may look at how the measurement of a specific length (e.g. The modern metre) would be different if measured with a different standard (old metres, angströms, or milliares.) I'm not entirely sure what a question on that would look like but it seems a viable subject, what do you guys think?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone find it strange that, in the textbox, it assumes that the 'aether' is real (when referencing the inferometer?)

ReputationRep:
    Just looked through the article today with our teacher, it doesn't seem to be too bad in as much as it could be a lot worse, but after discussion we came up with a few ideas for what questions might be about:

• Simple Harmonic Motion - References to Pendulums throughout
    • Calculations of Distance - Using s = r*theta and that kind of idea
    • Gas Laws - Pressures & Temperature
    • Material Science - Composition of the Bar on Page 3
    • Phasors & Interference - Michelson Experiment
    • Wave Mechanics - As above
    • Refractive Index - Based on the box describing the experiment
    • Electron Energy Levels - Emissions and so on

This obviously isn't a complete list it's just an idea but if anyone else wants to add in anything it might be good to have a list we can try and build up to revise from, particularly because this part of the paper is synoptic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zagreus_92)
    Just looked through the article today with our teacher, it doesn't seem to be too bad in as much as it could be a lot worse, but after discussion we came up with a few ideas for what questions might be about:

• Simple Harmonic Motion - References to Pendulums throughout
    • Calculations of Distance - Using s = r*theta and that kind of idea
    • Gas Laws - Pressures & Temperature
    • Material Science - Composition of the Bar on Page 3
    • Phasors & Interference - Michelson Experiment
    • Wave Mechanics - As above
    • Refractive Index - Based on the box describing the experiment
    • Electron Energy Levels - Emissions and so on

This obviously isn't a complete list it's just an idea but if anyone else wants to add in anything it might be good to have a list we can try and build up to revise from, particularly because this part of the paper is synoptic.
    Perhaps to that list also add uncertainties? OCR seem to be keen on it in unit 3 and 6 and as the advance notice mentions a figure with a uncertainty (+/- or percentage uncertainty) they could be in it.

Can I also ask what the gas laws is in relation to?

ReputationRep:
    I hate prereleases with a passion but this year's is one of the worst I've seen hahah!

The general impression from the questions the teachers set and from going through it seem pretty similar to everyone else so far- SHM, quality of measurement/uncertainties. They could ask about the advantages and disadvantages of the different units/measuring systems - most of which are quite obvious for disadvantages but stuff like using heartbeat isn't as rubbishy as it sounds - it's "portable", pretty constant so long as you're not terrified or running up a hill and fairly consistant over a couple of years etc unless you put on 10 stone etc. They could ask on E=hf type stuff too and the speed of light through different mediums.

The actual exam seems really tricky- there's so much info to take in and remember and understand! *mild panic* Also, the past papers I've seen hardly seem to mention chapter 17 and 18 much so I keep forgetting that it exists and then realise I don't know much on it when they randomly throw in a 12 mark question (split up obviously) and totally fail at it.... I need a medium B to get an A overall and I'm terrified.

Do people really reccomend the CGP books? I had a few at GCSE and a biology AS level one but none this year or for other subjects... how useful do you reckon it is?

Also, I realised this was quite a negative sounding post so more positively...um... yayyyy.....physics

Poll
Cats or dogs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.