Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread Watch

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone help me with relitivity and relitvistic calculations I can calculate the relitvistic factor but what do you do when you have to apply it to half lifes or other times?

It is simply, time x relitivistic factor = relitive time

ReputationRep:
    are the article practice qs worth doing? i dont really understand any of it! should i just revise from the cgp guide instead?

ReputationRep:
    How good are pre-2008 past papers? I think that's the year the specification changed, but do those before then still bare a lot of resemblance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Swindan)
    How good are pre-2008 past papers? I think that's the year the specification changed, but do those before then still bare a lot of resemblance?
    They bare A LOT of resemblance. In fact the questions in those papers are as hard/ even harder than the 'stretch and challenge' questions

ReputationRep:
    Anyone doing those case study questions? ( http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...urceID=3903515 )

I'm stuck on question 1 .. It's probably really easy but yeah ..

probably doomed to fail this module..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geekchic17)
    Anyone doing those case study questions? ( http://www.school-portal.co.uk/Group...urceID=3903515 )

I'm stuck on question 1 .. It's probably really easy but yeah ..

probably doomed to fail this module..
    Which part?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bear54)
    Which way does current flow, positive to negative? I heard this is what scientists thought ages ago and they didn't bother to change it when it's actually negative to positive?
    Current flows from positive to negative. Electrons flow from negative to positive.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    Which part?
    part a) lol .. I just don't know where to take it at all :L

ReputationRep:
    part a) lol .. I just don't know where to take it at all :L
    We know that the weight of the ball is proportional to time, and we are trying to porve if the distance is proportional to time^2, i.e.: you are proving if distance is proportional to weight^2

so you are using this equation Distance = k(mg)^2, and proving if k is constant by a certain amount of sig figs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41jms)
    are the article practice qs worth doing? i dont really understand any of it! should i just revise from the cgp guide instead?
    I'd recommend trying to read around the article and learn some formulae (like pendulums in simple harmonic motion, circular motion for the earth spinning, materials i.e. young's modulus = stress/strain) even if you can't do practise questions - since it's 40% of the course so without at least some knowledge even with the best grade in section A and B it wouldn't go above a D.

Also finding those questions hard though, basically all the uncertainties ones I can't do so hopefully there wont be too much of a focus on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    We know that the weight of the ball is proportional to time, and we are trying to porve if the distance is proportional to time^2, i.e.: you are proving if distance is proportional to weight^2

so you are using this equation Distance = k(mg)^2, and proving if k is constant by a certain amount of sig figs.
    ah that'll be where i went wrong
    i tried that, but instead of weight i just did mass,
    ahh
    im so stressed.

im so not going to uni cause of stupid physics :L
    maybe cause of stupid me, either way ..

sucks to be me!

x

ReputationRep:
    ah that'll be where i went wrong
    i tried that, but instead of weight i just did mass,
    ahh
    im so stressed.

im so not going to uni cause of stupid physics :L
    maybe cause of stupid me, either way ..

sucks to be me!

x
    Mass also works. In fact I original used mass instead of weight, and so does the MS

OCR B is a terrible course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thatgu)
    Can anyone help me with relitivity and relitvistic calculations I can calculate the relitvistic factor but what do you do when you have to apply it to half lifes or other times?

It is simply, time x relitivistic factor = relitive time
    Sorry to be a pain but can someone help me with this and has there only been one other g495 paper,2010.

ReputationRep:
    So how is everyone revising? Doing past papers? or CGP book mainly? Anyone have a collection of G495 questions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jke)
    So how is everyone revising? Doing past papers? or CGP book mainly? Anyone have a collection of G495 questions?
    I barely use the CPG book... I don't think it explains the concepts deeply enough. But that's like, my opinion man

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    I'd recommend trying to read around the article and learn some formulae (like pendulums in simple harmonic motion, circular motion for the earth spinning, materials i.e. young's modulus = stress/strain) even if you can't do practise questions - since it's 40% of the course so without at least some knowledge even with the best grade in section A and B it wouldn't go above a D.

Also finding those questions hard though, basically all the uncertainties ones I can't do so hopefully there wont be too much of a focus on that.
    i know your right arh thats making me really now, i need to get an A in physics which i definitely wont at this rate :'( could you possibly list atleast some of these formulae that you are talking about, please? you can have all my pos rep!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41jms)
    i know your right arh thats making me really now, i need to get an A in physics which i definitely wont at this rate :'( could you possibly list atleast some of these formulae that you are talking about, please? you can have all my pos rep!!
    Basic stuff like F= mv^r/r = w^2r, w = v/r, T = 2iroot(l/g), resolving forces etc. Nothing too hard, I hope.

ReputationRep:
    what does this mean "Local standards would not be
    allowed to travel and copies would
    have to be made."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 41jms)
    what does this mean "Local standards would not be
    allowed to travel and copies would
    have to be made."
    i.e.: The king's arm isn't allowed to be amputated and carried around to other countries. The King's yard is a private territory.

ReputationRep:
    anyone know the ums for getting an A in this paper?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.