Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingbradley6)
    Perhaps to that list also add uncertainties? OCR seem to be keen on it in unit 3 and 6 and as the advance notice mentions a figure with a uncertainty (+/- or percentage uncertainty) they could be in it.

Can I also ask what the gas laws is in relation to?
    The Gas Laws bit we thought might be to do with the idea of standard temperature and pressure with regards to page 3 and the Iridium - Platinum bar, not sure what they might ask but it does take great pains to talk about all the environmental factors so it seems a bit strange if they don't ask anything about it.

And also emzaz I quite agree there is loads to remember, I found that when I was looking through Papers stuff on binding energy came up loads and then in our mock it didn't come up much at all. Tbh how you do could just be down to luck in terms of how good the paper is. Plus the CGP books I've found really useful and if you do a search on here there's also some revision notes done by a guy called Anthony Stewart, they also been really useful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zagreus_92)
    The Gas Laws bit we thought might be to do with the idea of standard temperature and pressure with regards to page 3 and the Iridium - Platinum bar, not sure what they might ask but it does take great pains to talk about all the environmental factors so it seems a bit strange if they don't ask anything about it.

And also emzaz I quite agree there is loads to remember, I found that when I was looking through Papers stuff on binding energy came up loads and then in our mock it didn't come up much at all. Tbh how you do could just be down to luck in terms of how good the paper is. Plus the CGP books I've found really useful and if you do a search on here there's also some revision notes done by a guy called Anthony Stewart, they also been really useful.
    Yeah that's true. Ooh, I'll have a look for those notes and also, I was looking at a CGP book today that someone had and I think I may as well buy one - what's a £10 if means I get a few more marks? (although hopefully a lot more than that hahehehee!)

Our teachers reckoned for the platinum bar we could be asked about the effects of force on it (e.g. reaction force from the cylinders) and how temp would affect it. I'll look for the questions we got given and see if anything else comes to mind.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to double post (I've never been sure if that was a rule on tsr ) but if you search "metre" in wikipedia there's an article on the origins of the metre and the history of it which often puts alot of the article into context or explains reasons for some changes etc. People might find it useful to look at that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_metre
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metre

ReputationRep:
    Plus the CGP books I've found really useful and if you do a search on here there's also some revision notes done by a guy called Anthony Stewart, they also been really useful.
    I've tried to find these, but only managed to get chapters 16 and 18, do you have a link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ceri25)
    I've tried to find these, but only managed to get chapters 16 and 18, do you have a link?
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...hysics%20notes

That's the thread for all Chapter's 15 - 18 just for this module

Hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zagreus_92)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...hysics%20notes

That's the thread for all Chapter's 15 - 18 just for this module

Hope it helps
    I'd been looking for these too - thank you very much!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing this exam. I have done quite a bit of practice but I still have a few more papers to do. Does anyone want to ask me questions concerning this module?

ReputationRep:
    At my college we had a 'possible questions' paper, and one of them for the interferometer was
    "If the mirror is moved so there is a dark fringe, what is the minimum distance the mirror has moved in terms of wavelength?" and the answer is lambda/4. Can anyone explain why this is so?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bear54)
    At my college we had a 'possible questions' paper, and one of them for the interferometer was
    "If the mirror is moved so there is a dark fringe, what is the minimum distance the mirror has moved in terms of wavelength?" and the answer is lambda/4. Can anyone explain why this is so?
    The minimum distance is moving from an antinode to a node (in a stationary wave.) That's like moving from trough/peak to the equalibrium position in a sinusoidal wave (if you look at it graphically.) This minimum distance is lambda/4. Does this make sense?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    The minimum distance is moving from an antinode to a node (in a stationary wave.) That's like moving from trough/peak to the equalibrium position in a sinusoidal wave (if you look at it graphically.) This minimum distance is lambda/4. Does this make sense?
    I see, thanks. I might need to read back on AS notes for this article!

ReputationRep:
    I am doing this exam. I have done quite a bit of practice but I still have a few more papers to do. Does anyone want to ask me questions concerning this module?
    Hey, do you have a question pack for section c? If you do could you post it on here?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by readyforresults)
    Hey, do you have a question pack for section c? If you do could you post it on here?
    Sure

Also, ask me more questions, everybody!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf G495June2011AdvancedNoticeQ&A.pdf (321.0 KB, 509 views)
  2. File Type: pdf G495June2011AdvancedNoticePracticeQuestions.pdf (126.7 KB, 531 views)

ReputationRep:
    Sure

Thanks so much ;p

ReputationRep:
    Sure

Hi, thanks for posting these!

ReputationRep:
    Cheers for pdfs and links - helps a lot.

Although they've been mentioned my teacher said that it'd be a good idea to revise pendulums, circular motion, uncertainties and Young's modulus (stress/strain etc due to the bar information) for section C.

Good luck people, got to blag a B overall here so going to be revising my tits off for the next couple of weeks (spending more time on physics than my other exams - I'm not a natural physicist it seems).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    Cheers for pdfs and links - helps a lot.

Although they've been mentioned my teacher said that it'd be a good idea to revise pendulums, circular motion, uncertainties and Young's modulus (stress/strain etc due to the bar information) for section C.

Good luck people, got to blag a B overall here so going to be revising my tits off for the next couple of weeks (spending more time on physics than my other exams - I'm not a natural physicist it seems).
    I hadn't thought about young's modulus but that does seem possible what with the bar and everything. Where does the circular motion come in? Is that to do with the earth or the pendulum?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    I hadn't thought about young's modulus but that does seem possible what with the bar and everything. Where does the circular motion come in? Is that to do with the earth or the pendulum?
    That was based on lines 35 to the end of the paragraph and why the gravitational field strength varies across the earth's surface (Earth bulges at equator because the centripetal force is greatest there and so more mass is there to balance the forces whereas there is no centripetal force on the poles).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rogercbinboy)
    That was based on lines 35 to the end of the paragraph and why the gravitational field strength varies across the earth's surface (Earth bulges at equator because the centripetal force is greatest there and so more mass is there to balance the forces whereas there is no centripetal force on the poles).
    Ohhh, I see! That makes sense. What do you need your B for? ^_^ Also, is your username to do with swallows and amazons?

ReputationRep:
    Sure

I think question 3 is wrong, it says the number of direction changes per hour, not half an hour like in the article

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emzaz)
    Ohhh, I see! That makes sense. What do you need your B for? ^_^ Also, is your username to do with swallows and amazons?
    Captain Pugwash actually - meant to be Rogerthecabinboy but shortened it ages ago to fit a username.

Need to scrape a B to get into Newcastle for chemistry (ABB offer), what are you after?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.