Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry-AA)
    when it's perpendicular there is no flux running through it so the change in flux is just the flux at the start.
    right at the beginning of the rotation the flux being cut is close to zero

i think the emf generated on a graph would be 1/4 of a sine wave

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R0BMAN)
    But it was a percentage of people, so you times'd 3 by 2x10^-5 to get percentage chance, then multiplied it by no. of people to get the likely number of people this will mean get cancer, then time it by 25 :/ I think. ? Might be wrong but I did consider using 0.03...
    it was just number of people, not percentage

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kttt101)
    Meh, Idk, I just did the rate of change of the flux. I don't know how you could do it any other way.

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the section C question about the energy between the kryptonite (?) waves or something. I used E=hc/lambda but it was worth 3 marks so not sure if that was enough!

ReputationRep:
    I refuse to go back a page because I'll see something I dont like, but for the ring cutting one, was it not just the answer from before in webers divided by 0.4?
    It goes from a maximum to nothing in this quater turn so I assumed you just use faraday's equation. For my assumption I said that the rotation of the ring is unlikely to be continuous so the rate of flux cutting in the turn won't be constant, therefore it's an average. Probably wrong, I'm crap at the wordy questions.

Just to add to the answers circulating about, I got about 2600kg for the mass of uranium and I got 435 people to get cancer.
    Quote me if anyone wants to reply please, I'm not gunna start looking through the full thread, I like to avoid answers.

Also, 3 marks for a E=hc/lambda question? They having a laugh? I must have done this wrong surely in section C was it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rggregrgr)
    What did people get for the section C question about the energy between the kryptonite (?) waves or something. I used E=hc/lambda but it was worth 3 marks so not sure if that was enough!
    Glad you just put this. I did the same.

ReputationRep:

i think the emf generated on a graph would be 1/4 of a sine wave
    Yes, that's what I did

ReputationRep:
    It was an easy three marks

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it was section C! About the element used for defining the metre blah blah.

On the whole I think it was an alright paper - bits of it were easy but some parts weird! And I think I've messed up the 4 mark question about the oil drop... :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Summerdays)
    Yes, that's what I did
    what did you actually get? I can't remember now...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I think it was section C! About the element used for defining the metre blah blah.

On the whole I think it was an alright paper - bits of it were easy but some parts weird! And I think I've messed up the 4 mark question about the oil drop... :P
    Erm... you mean ball?

ReputationRep:

Don't remember this one. Was that the one with the Beta emitter fireing electrons at the thing on the spring?

ReputationRep:
    what did you actually get? I can't remember now...
    I can't remember my numerical value but it was just E = hc/lambda
    They didn't expect people to remember AS stuff haha.

ReputationRep:
    for the ball on a spring... with the beta source did people put that the charge increases (ie the electrons from the beta source knock more electrons off) or that it decreases/charge is neutralised (electrons are attracted to and 'caught' by the ball

ReputationRep:
    Erm... you mean ball?
    Yes yes... sorry I just kept thinking of it as similar to Milikan's experiment. No doubt probably why it went a bit wrong!

ReputationRep:
    I can't remember my numerical value but it was just E = hc/lambda
    They didn't expect people to remember AS stuff haha.
    No I mean for the induced emf question...

ReputationRep:
    I said that the beta particle ionises the air and ions transfer charge to the ball. If the overall charge is positive, the ball moves downwards, if negative the ball moves upwards due to the electric force. An equalibrium is made where Vq/d = kx. The position is either above the initial position (if the ball is negative) or below (if positive.)

ReputationRep:
    for the ball on a spring... with the beta source did people put that the charge increases (ie the electrons from the beta source knock more electrons off) or that it decreases/charge is neutralised (electrons are attracted to and 'caught' by the ball
    The second. It had already lost 8 x 10 to power of 6,7 or 8? (can't remember)
    so it's only ever going to neutralise it I think.

ReputationRep:
    No I mean for the induced emf question...
    Haha, I got soemthing like 0.00 something. I did My previous answer/0.4

ReputationRep:
    I said that the beta particle ionises the air and ions transfer charge to the ball. If the overall charge is positive, the ball moves downwards, if negative the ball moves upwards due to the electric force. An equalibrium is made where Vq/d = kx. The position is either above the initial position (if the ball is negative) or below (if positive.)
    The ball was possitive. The bottom plate that it was attracted to was the most negative of the two plates.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2011
Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.