The Student Room Group

OCR Physics B G495 Field and Particle Pictures June 21st 2011 Exam Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 920
Original post by kttt101
might lose a mark for not drawing them going down... it would be pretty harsh but if theres three marks then its possible with ocr :/

Energy and thus radiation is only emitted when electrons drop through levels, so the arrows should be directed downwards.
Reply 921
Original post by kttt101
might lose a mark for not drawing them going down... it would be pretty harsh but if theres three marks then its possible with ocr :/

Am I right in thinking this is the question where they said you COULD use the energy level diagram??

If they're going to award all marks for not using it at all it would be harsh to not award them for drawing the arrows the wrong way round. But then again this is OCR :mad:
Reply 922
Original post by reallyoriginalusername
I'm not sure whether any working out was needed. I just drew arrows going up from n=1 to n=2,n=1 to n=3 and from n=2 to n=3, and explained that these energies were all different and so frequencies would also be different given that f = E/h.

Oh no sorry! I was talking about the question in Section C (working out energy transitions for the element used in defining the metre).

I know the one you mean though. I just said the electron could go from n=1 to n=2, n=1 to n=3 or n=2 to n=3, and therefore would have 3 different frequencies. :confused:
Reply 923
It was well easy you guys are pussys
Reply 924
Has a thread been started for the exam on monday?
Reply 925
Original post by Keckers
Energy and thus radiation is only emitted when electrons drop through levels, so the arrows should be directed downwards.

which is what i said lol
Reply 926
Original post by Harry-AA
Am I right in thinking this is the question where they said you COULD use the energy level diagram??

If they're going to award all marks for not using it at all it would be harsh to not award them for drawing the arrows the wrong way round. But then again this is OCR :mad:

fair point, id say its really really unlikely they'll dock you
Reply 927
Original post by kttt101
which is what i said lol

Ah sorry, quoted the wrong person
Reply 928
Can anyone explain capacitor to me please? CGP revision guide p8 I dun understand how repel charges n plates stuff like that =o
Reply 929
Original post by Mikkels88
i drew double ended arrows, because it didnt mention emission or absorbtion, just like energy transition or something :/

i also did this! for the same reason, i tried to see ifi t said emission or absorption, dont think it did! we wont get marked down for it will we? :/
Original post by rggregrgr
Oh no sorry! I was talking about the question in Section C (working out energy transitions for the element used in defining the metre).

I know the one you mean though. I just said the electron could go from n=1 to n=2, n=1 to n=3 or n=2 to n=3, and therefore would have 3 different frequencies. :confused:

Ohh, I see :smile: I won't say anything about Section C, because I'd just end up misleading you. I didn't like the article or the last two questions :/ I wish my school had chosen OCR A.
Ohh, I see :smile: I won't say anything about Section C, because I'd just end up misleading you. I didn't like the article or the last two questions :/ I wish my school had chosen OCR A.

Same. OCR B is a joke...

I also hated the last two questions of section C.

BTW, I drew the arrows downwards but it was only a one mark question.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by kttt101

That's a good point. Oh well, there's nothing I can do now. Besides for every mark they dock for silly reasons, OCR B examiners get just a little bit closer to being reincarnated as a rock. I see it as a win-win situation :biggrin:
Original post by Summerdays
Same. OCR B is a joke...

I also hated the last two quetions of section C.

BTW, I drew the arrows downwards but it was only a one mark question.

To be honest, the article was pretty interesting. I didn't mind reading it, but it was a nightmare to figure out what they might ask. I think that's part of the underlying problem with OCR B, they try to contextualise everything, when we just want to learn the theory so we can get as many UMS as possible.
To be honest, the article was pretty interesting. I didn't mind reading it, but it was a nightmare to figure out what they might ask. I think that's part of the underlying problem with OCR B, they try to contextualise everything, when we just want to learn the theory so we can get as many UMS as possible.

I know what you mean. I found the article interesting because I didn't know how the metre was defined :smile: But, it made preperation just about impossible - which annoyed me. They could literally had asked anything from that article they gave us - which annoyed me. Preperation would have been 10^6 times easier if it wasn't for section C. And I hated some of the questions they asked us.

BTW, what did you put as what would happen if the temperature, atmospheric pressure, if the distance of the cylinder were too high/big of a distance apart?
Reply 935
Does anyone know what an A is?
I heard that last year it was 70/100 to get an A..... :O

Isn't that like impossible for such a crap paper??! :P
Original post by vit1008
Does anyone know what an A is?
I heard that last year it was 70/100 to get an A..... :O

Isn't that like impossible for such a crap paper??! :P

Don't compare it to Jan 2011, becaue very few people did that paper.

It was MUCH harder than Jun 2010's paper, so I think it will be less than or equal to 70/100 for an A.

June 2010 - 75/100 for an A
Jan 2010 - 74/100 for an A
(edited 12 years ago)

BTW, what did you put as what would happen if the temperature, atmospheric pressure, if the distance of the cylinder were too high/big of a distance apart?

For temp I said it would expand and therefore get longer. For pressure I said it would compact and therefore get shorter. And for cylinder one I said if the cylinders were two far apart then mg would be greater than the upward force of the cylinder so it would get pushed down and bar would get shorter
Reply 938

I said it would expand and lengthen if temperature too high, contract and shorten if pressure too high, and for the cylinder one I said that the top of the bar would shorten (under compression) and the bottom would lengthen (under tension).
Original post by ChicharitoH
For temp I said it would expand and therefore get longer. For pressure I said it would compact and therefore get shorter. And for cylinder one I said if the cylinders were two far apart then mg would be greater than the upward force of the cylinder so it would get pushed down and bar would get shorter

I pretty much said the same thing. For the last one I aid that the bar is more likely to sag under its own weight, and thu the length would tend to decrease.

For the temperature one I said that the length would increase because length increases with temperature :biggrin:

What did you say about why platinum-iridium wa used instead of just platinum?
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending