Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I am a mature student with some work experience in various jobs in customer service and I decided to go back to uni to study History. Now, I am about to finish my postgraduate in History and have realised that it is not for me - at all. Great. I have decided to go for my longstanding dream, to be a solicitor, and my good academic results have encouraged me that I can do this.
    I have applied to do my GDL and am also trying to apply for Training contracts, as most companies require you to apply two years in advance.
    However, I have a serious lack of legal work experience. Due to my age (30) and my previous background in working life, I can not get away with being 'just' a graduate.
    So, what do I do? I need to get some legal work experience as soon as possible. I missed the deadlines of summer placements and I can't afford to do volunteering after I graduate, as I need to find a job to support myself - and to pay the sky-high fees of the GDL. So, I was thinking of trying to get to do some 'informal' work experience (unpaid), e.g. shadowing a senior solicitor, in a law firm or a chamber, for say 1 day a week during the next 2-3 months, at least it would be better than nothing and improve my CV somewhat.

    My question is, does anyone have experience of doing that? How to get into doing that? Should I send my CV to various law firms and ask for this?
    I am not British, so I am a bit wary of calling up, as I fear that my accent my put some off (it's not a strong accent and my English is near native, but it is a foreign accent nevertheless). Sorry if that sounds ridiculous, but trust me I am familiar with stories of people being rejected for the oddest reasons, so I want to play it safe.

    I will be grateful for any advice.

The home of Results and Clearing


people online now


students helped last year
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.