Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why does an Alpha Particle have mass 4.00151u? (As opposed to less than 4u) watch

ReputationRep:
    If I understand correctly, 1u = 1/12th the mass of a carbon-12 atom. (6p + 6n + 6e). So for a carbon 12 atom it has mass u. And carbon 12 nucleus has mass 11.9967u (which would be expected since there aren't any electrons).

However if I apply the same logic to a helium atom. Then surely for an alpha particle (helium nucleus) it should be less than for the atom. So does this mean helium atom has mass greater than 4.00151? I was under the idea that elements with perfect ration of p : n : e would have mass in u equal to their mass number (mr value). So helium atom was 4u?

A helium atom (plus electrons) has a mass of 4.00260u
    (Without the electrons you get 4.0015u)

It is made up of two neutrons (each of mass 1.00867) and two hydogen atoms (proton+electron) each of mass 1.00780u
    (proton=1.00728u, electron=0.00055u)
    This gives a total for the particles of 4.03300u

The difference accounts for the binding energy.
    1u=931MeV

The mass of the nucleus is always less than the sum of the mass of the individual nucleons.

Yes. There are particular stable configurations of nucleons.
    For smaller nuclei, equal numbers of protons and neutrons is such a stable configuation.

ReputationRep:
    yeh, He isn't exactly 4u

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.