Turn on thread page Beta

Modulus of complex numbers (FP2, OCR) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, I'm currently stuck on a question about modulus; I have to identify the points corresponding to equations on an argand diagram, and I've got stuck on this one:

'|z + 4| = 3|z|' - I tried to work it out algebraically (I put z = x + yi), squared both sides, turned the left hand into (z + 4)(z* + 4), got zz* + 4(z* + z) + 16 out of it; I subtracted a zz* = |z|^2 (so on the other side there is now 8|z|^2 rather than 9). I equated z* + z to 2x, multiplied it by 4, and ended up with 8x + 16 = 8|z|^2 . I then divided by 8, got x + 2 = |z|^2 , and I'm now stuck...

What I'm looking for is apparently a circle of centre 1/2 + 0i and radius 1.5, but I don't see where what comes from... can anyone help me?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    How can you write |z|^2 in terms of x and y? Do that, then you have something that might look familiar.

No need to get mucky with complex conjugates.

|(x+4)+iy|^2 = 9|x+iy|^2

so (x+4)^2 + y^2 = 9x^2 + 9y^2

Now rearrange, complete the square on the 8x^2 - 8x term, and you should have the standard equation of a circle in Cartesian coordinates, with the centre and radius easy to read off.

ReputationRep:
    I have to say, I have no idea what you just did there Could you explain what you did?
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by Kyta)
    I have to say, I have no idea what you just did there Could you explain what you did?
    Glutamic Acid used the method that I'd probably use in doing this; that is, start by writing z=x+iy, square both sides and rearrange to get the Cartesian equation of a circle. However, his method started from the beginning, which you don't need to do -- you can finish off the question from the point you got stuck in your post, by writing |z|^2 = x^2+y^2 and rearranging from there.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot; I ended up getting the right answer. The fact that |z| = sqrt(x^2 + y^2) slipped my mind near the end there, lol. Thanks a lot to both of you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011

University open days

1. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
  3. Birmingham City University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.