Turn on thread page Beta

Is the Burj Khalifa actually occupied? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by B-Man.)
    Because they are Arabs and Arabs are supposed to be the poor brown *******s living in ****ed up Islamic states. So when they are doing well and defeating a stereotype it doesn't sit well with the dicks. This is particularly evident in people feeling the need to point out that its 'not even Arabs building it.'
    Agreed.

It's not okay to spend a few billions on real estate, because it's 'pointless'. But apparently it is okay to spend far more on nuclear weapons and what not..which are of course of so much use to the country :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)
    And why is it that people only make a point about calling out 'extravagance' when it's the Arabs? Almost all of the world's man-made 'wonders' have been extravagant projects which seemed to push the boundary of possibility. Sistine chapel, Eiffel tower, Mount Rushmore? They're all unnecessary structures which have no purpose but to be revered in their ambition. It's just a double standard I'm seeing here, I don't see anyone looking at the Eiffel tower or Statue of Liberty in disgust, but we're all ready to bust a nut when we hear of an Arab project.
    They don't even have vanity here, because they are not building it, they're just signing a check (figuratively speaking) to transfer money they have because they happen to have been herding their camels on an ocean of oil.

I have a lot of admiration for the engineering firms that can make this thing (remains to be seen), not the people who pay for it with money they didn't earn.

ReputationRep:
    What is it with people and penises in this thread.

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

Just about every building that is longer in one dimension than it is in the other two is going to resemble a phallus. It's not because everyone wants to be reminded of penises all the time, it's because it makes sense to build vertically, than to use up precious land resources.

Honestly, the maturity of some people in this thread.

"IT'SASS PHAALLUSS HERP DERP!!11" :facepalm:
    Oh for goodness sake. I was mentioning controversy involving skyscrapers, and that was one of the main arguments against the Eiffel Tower 200 years ago, whereas you said that modern criticism is simply because they're Arabs? I'm not 'obsessed with penises'. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Panda Vinnie)
    Agreed.

It's not okay to spend a few billions on real estate, because it's 'pointless'. But apparently it is okay to spend far more on nuclear weapons and what not..which are of course of so much use to the country :rolleyes:
    I'd eventually like to see a world free from nuclear weapons, but in the contemporary age I'd argue that a nuclear arsenal serves far more use than a giant penis in the desert.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Agreed.

A lot actually as well as kept peace for the last 60 years but thats a whole other debate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lemozo)
    I'd eventually like to see a world free from nuclear weapons, but in the contemporary age I'd argue that a nuclear arsenal serves far more use than a giant penis in the desert.
    1. Is it a giant penis? No, it's a skyscraper. Also question, you seem you like penises...I'm sure you've had your fair share, are you genuinely gay?

2. Is it in the desert? Again, no. It's in a city with a population of millions.

3. Then argue, if you can, how a nuclear arsenal serves more purpose than a skyscraper.

ReputationRep:
    Again with the penises? Wow, you really love **** don't you?

ReputationRep:
    1. Is it a giant penis? No, it's a skyscraper. Also question, you seem you like penises...I'm sure you've had your fair share, are you genuinely gay?

2. Is it in the desert? Again, no. It's in a city with a population of millions.

3. Then argue, if you can, how a nuclear arsenal serves more purpose than a skyscraper.
    1. It lacks any kind of originality (unlike Western skyscrapers). It's just a huge phallic spire.

2. It's in a city of declining importance which shall soon be a basket case.

3. Nuclear weapons have kept peace for millions of people.

ReputationRep:
    Again with the penises? Wow, you really love **** don't you?
    No I don't, the Arab Sheikhs do. Their skyscrapers don't have any kind of originality (unlike their Western contemporaries) and are simply giant penises extending into the sky.

It's their way of compensating for the fact that their countries will never provide a meaningful contribution to the modern world stage.

ReputationRep:
    What is it with people and penises in this thread.

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

Just about every building that is longer in one dimension than it is in the other two is going to resemble a phallus. It's not because everyone wants to be reminded of penises all the time, it's because it makes sense to build vertically, than to use up precious land resources.

"IT'SASS PHAALLUSS HERP DERP!!11" :facepalm:
    Precious land resources. What? In the desert?

ReputationRep:
    1. It lacks any kind of originality (unlike Western skyscrapers). It's just a huge phallic spire.

2. It's in a city of declining importance which shall soon be a basket case.

3. Nuclear weapons have kept peace for millions of people.
    Originality, oh really? :rofl:

Let's remind ourselves what the last Western skyscraper closest to this magnitude looked like, shall we? How unique do you think the World Trade Centre looked? :rolleyes: Oh yes, I must have forgotten how a cuboid block is internationally renown for its striking features and complex design :rolleyes:

Mind you, only 4 of the world's top 20 skyscrapers are western, all of which are in the USA.

Also I suggest you educate yourself on the significance of Jeddah as a city in Saudi Arabia, right now with the statements you're making it's just so incredibly easy to absolutely own you.

ReputationRep:
    This thread has turned into:

"Our skyscapers are bigger than yours"

Which for some reason reminds me of a penis, again in this thread. Weird thread, very weird.

ReputationRep:
    Originality, oh really? :rofl:

Let's remind ourselves what the last Western skyscraper closest to this magnitude looked like, shall we? How unique do you think the World Trade Centre looked? :rolleyes: Oh yes, I must have forgotten how a cuboid block is internationally renown for its striking features and complex design :rolleyes:

Mind you, only 4 of the world's top 20 skyscrapers are western, all of which are in the USA.
    But then look at its replacement and you'll see the Western world has moved on from a stage that the Arab world is just starting to embrace.

But then, saying that, skyscrapers aren't really of interest to me anyway. Give me a better place to live (Britain > UAE) anyday over some structures that won't even be used.

ReputationRep:
    But then look at its replacement and you'll see the Western world has moved on from a stage that the Arab world is just starting to embrace.

But then, saying that, skyscrapers aren't really of interest to me anyway. Give me a better place to live (Britain > UAE) anyday over some structures that won't even be used.
    Even when someone has a lot of money he needs to have a lot of brains to spend it wisely.
    All this hate will get you no where my friend.
    Can you imagine your struggling UK economy having the capacity to employ thousands of Brits working in Saudi , Dubai etc ?

in KSA alone there are 11 000 Brits working in schools, oil and chemical industry and tourism industry in Mecca and Medina.
    I see them everyday enjoying their asses off in their SUVs and shiz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal4lif)
    Even when someone has a lot of money he needs to have a lot of brains to spend it wisely.
    All this hate will get you no where my friend.
    Can you imagine your struggling UK economy having the capacity to employ thousands of Brits working in Saudi , Dubai etc ?

in KSA alone there are 11 000 Brits working in schools, oil and chemical industry and tourism industry in Mecca and Medina.
    I see them everyday enjoying their asses off in their SUVs and shiz
    Britain employs hundreds of thousands of immigrants and offers them a better lifestyle than they'd get working for a pittance in Dubai. It's only the wealthy elite 'enjoying their asses off in their SUVs and shiz'.

ReputationRep:
    Why doe the OP keep bringing up penises?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Left Hand Drive)
    Why doe the OP keep bringing up penises?
    Because Arab Sheikhs insist on building huge resemblances of them.

ReputationRep:

NOTE TO EVERYONE:

My chode begs to differ.

ReputationRep:
    I want to sit on it.

ReputationRep:
    yeah it's in downtown dubai where posh people live.nice place,i do believe people live there.

Poll
Cats or dogs?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.