The Student Room Group

Is the Burj Khalifa actually occupied?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Lemozo
What with the Arab world engaging in a contest of willy-waving with their skyscrapers, I'm just interested to know whether their economies actually support such ostentatious buildings?

http://dubaifountain.info/featured/miapolis-will-surpasses-burj-khalifa-to-become-the-worlds-tallest-skyscraper

There. A planned white person building set to be taller than the Burj Khalifa. Not just the arabs flashing their penis, eh?
Reply 61
Original post by bob247
Get over yourself. The world could do very well without the modern day UK, who are not really in any position to criticise another country for not being prepared for a burst bubble. Your government is weak and divided and your people dispute over every major issue there is to be discussed. The country is a social minefield.

You export the media? Yes, the world needs more of The Sun and The Daily Mail. Science? What major scientific breakthrough has the UK made in recent years? You lot have deluded yourself into thinking you are on par with the Americans in this field. Pretty much anything of use that the UK has done has either been done by a foreigner or owned by a foreigner.

Some of the biggest projects in the UAE are the ones that are not being advertised in the international media. Simple residential projects like Khalifa City or more cultural ones like Saadiyat. They will have an enormous social impact on the nation.

I'm sure you've heard of Masdar or "blah blah" city. The world's first zero emission city. Wholly supported by the Masdar Institute of Technology. Which is made up of UAE nationals. So I don't really see how education is not being developed. This place will create jobs for thousands many, many, many years into the future.

Predicted Urban living standards are set to be in the top 5 in the world by 2030 do to the city basically being rebuilt. Again, thanks to UAE civil engineers.

A nuclear sector is also developing

There is no denying that Dubai went over the top. I do not deny that. However, their strategy was clear and not altogether devoid of . I fear places like Ras Al Khaimah may fall into the same trap. But places like Abu Dhabi and Sharjah are set to do fine.

It's not fair to say that the UAE cannot have a positive impact on the world in the future. Did the Americans progress on their own or did they need the initial help of the English, French and Dutch? Only now are we seeing the first really generation who have received university educations. It started around my dad's generation but only now can it pretty much be taken as granted that most UAE youths of ages 18+ are university graduates.

However, it is not fair to generalise the whole country and a whole nationality into being of no use because of those decisions. You are not a national of the UAE and will not be able to understand what Dubai has done for the nation and the Gulf as a whole. It's given us a sense of pride and belief that was not there before. That we can cut with the best. Again, I'm not denying that most of the work is done by foreigners, but wait till the next generation have a chance to show what they can do. Many of the foreign workers in these big engineering firms etc. are all being phased out as UAE nationals take their place .

Education is exceedingly strong. Schools here are comparable with the best in the world. Most universities are admittedly not up to scratch but with NYU and MIT setting up organisations here that is set to change. Most UAE nationals will be educated externally anyway. Providing they get in, the government will basically give them a fully subsidised ride throughout uni. Every year you see more UAE nationals take up places in institutions like Cambridge, Oxford, Michigan, MIT, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth, Princeton, Berkley, CIT etc.

I realise that that is not something unusual in the UK. However, my point being that the UAE is catching up and plans are being made for the future.

Culture is strong and thriving basically everywhere apart from Dubai.

Film making is a particular niche that is being developed. Just because it's not hollywood and doesn't reach you there in the UK doesn't mean it's no good.

Industry is also developing. Our banking industry is amongst the best in Asia.

I believe the world's first unlimited storage USB was recently developed here. A small thing I know and not much to boast about but a sign that things are improving and as more research universities are set up here, it is set to increase.

I'm not worried about what's going to happen when the oil is gone. Yes, things will not be as lavish. But places like Singapore, Hong Kong do fine without oil exports. The money has been invested wisely. The UAE has built up an image and is an attractive destination for many. It could not have been done without the splurges that Dubai had undergone. It's left future generations with fantastic infrastructure which they can exploit. It provides a lot of services, particularly to Eastern countries and it's population is set to explode in the next couple of years. I barely saw any Americans when I was in New York and that place is fine. Don't see why it will be any different here.

In general there is very little that the UK has to offer that the UAE cannot and does not. Your typical UAE national is generally no more or no smarter than your typical UK national but has better job prospects because of the infrastructure set forward by the UAE government.

You seem to be suggesting that the UAE is a major world political power when really, I think you are exaggerating a bit. You say the UK government is "is weak and divided and your people dispute over every major issue there is to be discussed". This is called democracy, something the UAE is completely devoid of. That being said, I will admit that Britain's political system is far from being ideal. The reason that living standards for locals are so high is because they are a tiny almost aryan elite and receive massive government benefits without paying high taxes in return. A good number of, not all, locals also take advantage of their near-immunity to the law and abuse foreigners.

The country as it stands is made up of mostly foreigners, who are mostly poor, the human rights record is terrible and there are hundreds of thousands of workers and farmers living in abject poverty. While the country does of course provide a massive range of opportunities for many people that would not be offered in their countries, even the UK, it is far from being the utopia that it is often presented as.

This thread seems to be going off topic slightly.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending