Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey humans,

I've been sent a letter to confimr which a levels I would like to study.
    I really want to do Biology and Chemistry because it is apparently required in order to study psychology.
    They've already said I cannot do them as an a level since I got a C in my core science but I am able to get an A this year for additional scvience.
    BUT They still say I needed a B in both and have said I can only study applied science.
    Well, I was wondering is applied science going to be good enough to get into university to study psychology?
    I mean, I am going to be studying Psychology in addition to that.
    Please reply ASAP I'm kind of starting to stress..

ReputationRep:
    It really depends where you're looking to apply and the type of course you're after. If you want Psychology as a BSc you'll probably need some sort of Science A Level, whereas you probably wouldn't to do it as a BA. That being said, somewhere like Warwick take your subjects into account when considering making you an offer, and they tend to give lower offers to those who have the scientific background.

My advice? Research the Unis and courses you're interested in and then consider these with your A Level choices

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Completely depends on which uni you're looking at, a lot I've seen just require Psychology A Level, not a science alongside it.
    Also like BethEmily said a BSc is more likely to want a science than the BA, because they take a different approach to Psychology on the courses - BSc looks more into Neuropsychology, BA looks more into Social Psychology for example.
    I've applied this year for psychology with Biology and English A Level along with my Psychology

Edit: With some uni's your personal statement counts for a lot too. If you show a lot of enthusiasm for the course, you may still get an offer despite not having a Science A Level

ReputationRep:
    I do an Applied Science A Level and i got accepted to all of my unis (York, Lpool, Uni of manchester, manchester met and edge hill).

You will be fine!

ReputationRep:
    I got all my psych offers without bio or chem... but i did physics cuz its alot more interesting :P

I'm sure if you make enough fuss you could get into the a level with an A and a C! But if your just applying for those subjects because you think they'll be good for psych- i'd recommend doing subjects where you can succeed in and enjoy.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.