Turn on thread page Beta

Which Universities offer the tutorial/ supervision system? watch

ReputationRep:
    Looking at universities at the moment and like the tutorial system, so just wondering which universities offer it.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    as far as i know, oxbridge are the only ones that do it in small groups (normally 2 students and 1 supervisor although it varies a bit)

but lots of other universities do a similar thing, just in bigger groups

ReputationRep:
    oxbridge are the only universities in England to offer the supervision system

ReputationRep:
    At Leeds Uni, we have tutorials with groups of four students and the tutor, although, some tutors have more than one group.

ReputationRep:
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tutorial+system

o look at the first link?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FinalMH)
    http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Tutorial+system

o look at the first link?
    Thanks, its not like I hadn't done that myself before posting this thread.
    However Im interested to know which universities do a tutorial system, be it 1on1, 10on1or 20on1. This is a opposed to just lectures.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what course you're looking at to be honest. Most of the universities will do so for humanities subjects and some of them for science. At southampton for geology we have them in first and second year and we have 8-10 per year. Having a tutor available to speak to us personally is more valuable than sitting in a room for an hour every now and again talking about presentation skills though to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hothedgehog)
    Depends what course you're looking at to be honest. Most of the universities will do so for humanities subjects and some of them for science. At southampton for geology we have them in first and second year and we have 8-10 per year. Having a tutor available to speak to us personally is more valuable than sitting in a room for an hour every now and again talking about presentation skills though to be honest.
    Exactly. So for history should I presume most of the larger universities offer them?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Islander15)
    Exactly. So for history should I presume most of the larger universities offer them?
    Thanks
    I would say so yes although you may want to narrow your choices of uni down on other factors and then check all of your options out specifically. For humanities because so much of your course is your own reading they're generally used for discussion of this reading to make sure you know it really. Also, you might want to consider how many people are in all of these tutorials which could sway your choice.

ReputationRep:
    Looking at universities at the moment and like the tutorial system, so just wondering which universities offer it.
    Thanks
    UCL and King's College London, although the latter only does so for certain courses.

ReputationRep:
    I'm the kind of person who achieves grades similar to very high achievers, but I put it ALOT more work then they do, I mean ALOT. Is the work in the top universities harder then the not as prestigious ones?

Any responses please quote me!
    All universities will offer tutorials and seminars with groups ranging from 2 to 20 people. Tutorials are, typically, four to eight but this can vary.

It's not just limited to large universities, either. In fact, some of the smaller universities (particularly teaching intensive universities) will be able to offer smaller groups and more contact hours. Generalisation but often true. Take Heythrop College (small Theology/Philosophy college of the University of London). I have never attended a tutorial there but Peter Vardy, an academic there, informed me that teaching groups usually consist of around three people (this was eight years ago).

Oxford and Cambridge offer the tutorial system must think of when they hear the term. Regular meetings with a tutor, on a one to one or small group basis, with essays often set in order to go through them.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.