Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in year 13...going to be starting uni this year. Our financial situation isn't too great, we have a HUGE mortgage and so my parents told me that they won't be able to afford accommodation.

My big sister is staying in halls at the moment. It kinda bugs that I can't coz I want to experience that too. I've tried looking for jobs for a long time, and had no luck as the area I live in is quite small.

Basically my question is...will I be missing out much if I stay at home and travel to uni?

All opinions are welcome

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Air18)
    I'm currently in year 13...going to be starting uni this year. Our financial situation isn't too great, we have a HUGE mortgage and so my parents told me that they won't be able to afford accommodation.

My big sister is staying in halls at the moment. It kinda bugs that I can't coz I want to experience that too. I've tried looking for jobs for a long time, and had no luck as the area I live in is quite small.

Basically my question is...will I be missing out much if I stay at home and travel to uni?

All opinions are welcome
    Can you not use a maintenance loan/grant to pay for your accom? (or at the very least pay most of it)

I can't really help you regarding staying at home, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Your maintenance loan should cover most of it and you might be able to get grants.

Many people survive at uni without their parents' financial support.

ReputationRep:
    That's what the maintenence loan and stuff is therefore. Also, could you not get a job over the summer to save up money? You'd be surprised at how much you can make.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anita B. Studin)
    Your maintenance loan should cover most of it and you might be able to get grants.

Many people survive at uni without their parents' financial support.
    Yeah, student finance should help. But still try and get a job

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    That's what the maintenence loan and stuff is therefore. Also, could you not get a job over the summer to save up money? You'd be surprised at how much you can make.
    I have tried getting a job, but I live in a small village type area...there are limited jobs available, and coz of the recession, people are reluctant to hand out jobs that easily.

Will it make much of a difference to uni life if I stay at home?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Air18)
    I have tried getting a job, but I live in a small village type area...there are limited jobs available, and coz of the recession, people are reluctant to hand out jobs that easily.

Will it make much of a difference to uni life if I stay at home?
    I live in a hamlet with four houses and I still managed to get a job. I'm sorry, I know there are fewer jobs out there but there are still jobs, you just have to look harder. Are there any cleaning jobs at your college after school? That's always one people seem to forget about, and it's very convenient.

To be honest, I think you would miss out, but it wouldn't ruin the whole thing for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BlueJoker)
    I live in a hamlet with four houses and I still managed to get a job. I'm sorry, I know there are fewer jobs out there but there are still jobs, you just have to look harder. Are there any cleaning jobs at your college after school? That's always one people seem to forget about, and it's very convenient.

To be honest, I think you would miss out, but it wouldn't ruin the whole thing for you.
    Yes, I have even looked there. There's a small hotel nearby, so I asked there as well as at school, and they said they don't have any available places. Instead they are getting rid of staff, because it's too much for them to handle =/

Thanks anyways

ReputationRep:
    If I'm honest, I wish I'd commuted from home.
    The best friends I made are on my course, so I'd have met them anyway. The people I lived with were fun at first, but then people began to let their real selves show; people started having drunken anger episodes, people started to be really messy and disgusting (and I mean some people just got very gross) and some literally went bat **** insane. Maybe I just got the weird floor, but the way I see it I could have stayed at home and got drunk and partied most nights (which is all we did outside of our courses) with my friends from college etc without getting an extra 4grand a year debt.

But I just think I got unlucky, people do seem to think that to really experience uni you have to move away. I'm not sure if I agree...

ReputationRep:
    check the student finacne calculater on direct gov, it will tell you how much your entitled to- this should cover your housing and tuition ect. but you may or may not need a part time job for whilst you are there/in the summer for food and going out. Saying that though i know a couple of people who go to university of surrey (very expensive area) and survive on just the student finance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leighthesim)
    check the student finacne calculater on direct gov, it will tell you how much your entitled to- this should cover your housing and tuition ect. but you may or may not need a part time job for whilst you are there/in the summer for food and going out. Saying that though i know a couple of people who go to university of surrey (very expensive area) and survive on just the student finance.
    Yh that's where I'll be going..Surrey. My parents are saying that we're going to move there...but I want to experience uni life - you know, have a little freedom. But my parents aren't understanding that =/

ReputationRep:
    You won't miss out that much, I will be living at home to and I don't want to spend what is unnecessary money. I have a roof over my head, and there's plenty of people I know who also live at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Casshern1456)
    You won't miss out that much, I will be living at home to and I don't want to spend what is unnecessary money. I have a roof over my head, and there's plenty of people I know who also live at home.
    Thanks, that's reassuring

ReputationRep:
    I think you really would miss out. I didn't get any help from parents with my Uni rent, just used my loans/grants. Living in halls is a massive part of the experience.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Air18)
    Thanks, that's reassuring
    I'm in a situation where living inside the M25 means I am unlikely to get a place in halls. Personally it does worry me because my friends are going off to uni far away and experiencing life on their own, whereas I'll be stuck at home where my family is always around and I never have time to myself. However, I really wanted to go to King's for its great reputation, so it's something I have to sacrifice. My boyfriend has stayed at home for university and so I know I won't be completely alone, and can keep my job here and avoid more debt, especially since I'll be doing a year abroad anyway. In a way it makes me worry I won't make friends and will miss out on this social aspect of university, but I'm not paying £3000 to go out clubbing etc, I'm going for the education. Plus I have the advantage that there is probably many people who attend London unis who still live at home. And even if I did stay at halls in the first year, I'd probably move back home for the rest of the time to avoid living expenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ejlowe13)
    I'm in a situation where living inside the M25 means I am unlikely to get a place in halls. Personally it does worry me because my friends are going off to uni far away and experiencing life on their own, whereas I'll be stuck at home where my family is always around and I never have time to myself. However, I really wanted to go to King's for its great reputation, so it's something I have to sacrifice. My boyfriend has stayed at home for university and so I know I won't be completely alone, and can keep my job here and avoid more debt, especially since I'll be doing a year abroad anyway. In a way it makes me worry I won't make friends and will miss out on this social aspect of university, but I'm not paying £3000 to go out clubbing etc, I'm going for the education. Plus I have the advantage that there is probably many people who attend London unis who still live at home. And even if I did stay at halls in the first year, I'd probably move back home for the rest of the time to avoid living expenses.
    It says your in Surrey in your sig, as your not in inner London you could get accomodation at Kings should you want to, you will just be allocated after everyone else. I know of a few people in Kings who live within the M25 yet are in halls.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.