Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When figuring out a question about a particle sliding down an inclined plane, is the downwards component of the weight always mgcosx? Or does it change?

ReputationRep:
    downwoards as in the slope ? and what angle is X

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CookieGhoul)
    downwoards as in the slope ? and what angle is X
    Well the reason I ask is because of this question:

A box of mass 2kg is projected with speed 6 m/s up a line of greatest slope of a rough place inclined to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the box and the plane is 1/3. Use the work -energy principle to calculate the distance the box travels up the plane before first coming to rest.

I know how to do it, the only problem im encountering is to find what the reaction force is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T13)
    Well the reason I ask is because of this question:

A box of mass 2kg is projected with speed 6 m/s up a line of greatest slope of a rough place inclined to the horizontal. The coefficient of friction between the box and the plane is 1/3. Use the work -energy principle to calculate the distance the box travels up the plane before first coming to rest.

I know how to do it, the only problem im encountering is to find what the reaction force is.
    Right. If you draw a free-body force diagram, things will appear more easier. The most important thing to do in a question like this, or in mainly all questions in mechanics, is to draw a diagram, and label the forces.

Try to resolve parralel to the plane and perpendicular to the plane

ReputationRep:
    Right. If you draw a free-body force diagram, things will appear more easier. The most important thing to do in a question like this, or in mainly all questions in mechanics, is to draw a diagram, and label the forces.

Try to resolve parralel to the plane and perpendicular to the plane
    I did, and I seem to get that the component that's perpendicular to the plane is 2gcos30, but thats because our teacher told us that the component thats perpendicular is always cosx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T13)
    I did, and I seem to get that the component that's perpendicular to the plane is 2gcos30, but thats because our teacher told us that the component thats perpendicular is always cosx
    Right. Thats correct.So whats the issue now ?

ReputationRep:
    Right. Thats correct.So whats the issue now ?
    oh, because i kept getting the answer wrong and I checked the mark scheme and it said that the reaction force was 2gsin30, thats what confused me

ReputationRep:
    Which angle is 30 ? Is it the angle of the inclined plane to the horizontal ?
    Like this ?

Is it A, B, C ?

ReputationRep:
    Like this ?

Is it A, B, C ?
    B? I really am not sure

ReputationRep:
    Like this ?

Is it A, B, C ?
    B? Im really not sure

ReputationRep:
    If its B, then obviously it will be the other way around. Cos when they say that the normal reaction is mg cos 30, the 30 degrees is the angle from the horizontal to the inclined plane, that means angle A

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 14, 2011

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.