Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    anyone else willing to give advice??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    This also gives the reader the idea that they're committing a crime by wasting food - Really? I don't see myself thinking that. Remember, interpretations aren't set in stone
    Wouldn't the student get away with just saying "it could be interpreted that wasting food is a crime" with some sort of evidence to back up since interpretations are subjective? 2-3/6 is quite correct though.

(Original post by pleasehelpme...)
    lol i don't even know if there's any point in trying now, 2 is awful! i didn't know my english was that bad
    Your answer's just too short, you need more points.

ReputationRep:
    how can i write that much in a limited time though?? when i wrote it on paper it was 1 page :{

ReputationRep:
    i've got my exams in a few weeks time, and i don't know how to revise well for english

help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Procrastinate)
    Wouldn't the student get away with just saying "it could be interpreted that wasting food is a crime" with some sort of evidence to back up since interpretations are subjective? 2-3/6 is quite correct though.
    Yes, if the student actually phrased it like that, namely: "it could be interpreted", hence acknowledging the fact that this may not be the case, and providing basis for the subjectivity of interpretation argument.

But, I wouldn't show any such leniency if the student said, and I quote, "This also gives the reader the idea that they're committing a crime by wasting food" - as the student in question says "this also gives the reader" which implies that they're disregarding the fact that interpretations are subjective and disregarding the fact that it's even an interpretation; thus one can assume they do not know the difference (based on quite substantial evidence) - made evident in the critical marking.

ReputationRep:
    well it's clear i'm going to fail english, along with all the other subjects! so i'm not gonna bother with revising any more, may as well sit back and relax because i've decided to drop out education at the age of 16. i'll sit my gcses, don't care whether i fail em, or not. i'd rather be loose than to be tied up in stress.. GOODBYE EDUCATION!!

ReputationRep:
    Come on guys, stop being ridiculous of course that is not 2 mark answer.
    Right, the best thing for you to do here is calm down.
    That answer isn't a full mark answer but it's probably a four or a five.
    It may seem that even though you've wrote a lot, that there's no point in adding anymore because you can't be bothered and you don't know what to put.
    I completely understand! I know how you feel, but that's not the problem.
    You just have to learn the different steps in writing the answer.
    You know "PEE" don't you?
    Point, Evidence and Explanation? Make sure you incorporate that into all your answers.
    Another thing, try not to sidetrack
    the question says "What criticisms does Michele Hanson make of other people’s behaviour and attitudes?"
    Just talk about the criticisms, don't sidetrack talking about other things. You've gone on to talk about how language makes the reader feel. That's good...if that was the question. But the question is about the criticisms. You should include the criticisms, and then go on to explain them. You don't need to be right, just express a point of view.
    People are being quite petty here though...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by misspepsimax)
    Come on guys, stop being ridiculous of course that is not 2 mark answer.
    Right, the best thing for you to do here is calm down.
    That answer isn't a full mark answer but it's probably a four or a five.
    It may seem that even though you've wrote a lot, that there's no point in adding anymore because you can't be bothered and you don't know what to put.
    I completely understand! I know how you feel, but that's not the problem.
    You just have to learn the different steps in writing the answer.
    You know "PEE" don't you?
    Point, Evidence and Explanation? Make sure you incorporate that into all your answers.
    Another thing, try not to sidetrack
    the question says "What criticisms does Michele Hanson make of other people’s behaviour and attitudes?"
    Just talk about the criticisms, don't sidetrack talking about other things. You've gone on to talk about how language makes the reader feel. That's good...if that was the question. But the question is about the criticisms. You should include the criticisms, and then go on to explain them. You don't need to be right, just express a point of view.
    People are being quite petty here though...
    PEE really confuses me.. so if there's a question that requires 6 points (it being a 6 mark question) then how many PEE points would i write about? in that question i tried to do 2 PEE's and i thought point = 1 mark evidence = 1 etc

?? help

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat as you OP... can't really give much feedback on your answer myself if i'm honest, as I got a U in the mock! But try to think rationally and keep putting in the effort... we still have a month to go so there's a lot of time for improvement! Don't worry OP, i know how you feel

ReputationRep:
    yeah i keep getting D's in my mocks and i'm really aiming for a C although i'd be more satisfied with a B grade :~(

ReputationRep:
    and the question is:

What Criticisms does Michele Hanson make of other people's behaviour and attitudes?

my answer:

Michele Hanson criticises other people's behaviour and attitudes by saying 'the worst crime is to waste food'. This suggests that Hanson strongly perceives wasting food as one of the worst forms of crime. This also gives the reader the idea that they're committing a crime by wasting food, which could cause them to feel guilty knowing they can refrain themselves from doing such a 'crime'. this also highlights the significance of how valuable food was to Hanson, because she lived through years of rationing, whereas nowadays the society seem to take what they have for granted, and 'don't bother and chuck'.

Hanson also criticises the eating habits of pupils at the school local to her. For instance, she mentions how the pupils 'hurl their food about, pelting each other with chips...' this again suggests how the generation of today don't appreciate what they have. In fact this quotation could also imply that nowadays children are not taught enough about the value of the world's resources - in Hanson's view, they're 'needlessly frittered away'.
    Hi there!

Good points: Your arguments are clearly explained and backed up in the text with good quotations.

Improvements: This is really only a partial answer which focusses on the waste of food and not waste in general. Remember, even when you're writing a short answer to something treat it like a mini essay and have a sentence which introduces what you're going to talk about. E.g. Michele Hanson's article criticises the many ways in which people in a modern society exhibit wasteful behaviour..... Then go on to talk about all the different types of wastage in the article and back it up with comparrisons between young and old/wartime and peace. (You could also talk about the types of language she uses; much of it is exagerated for effect/to show the extent of her displeasure. She also gives lots of examples of the same type of wasteful behaviour, which makes the article a little repetitive to read, but really enforces her message.) Edit - woops, the question didn't ask for that! Just stick to the criticisms, not all the rest - Sorry!

Nit-picking: It is either 'restrain themselves' or just 'refrain'. You can't have both together.

3.5/6. 4 if I was feeling generous

ReputationRep:
    PEE really confuses me.. so if there's a question that requires 6 points (it being a 6 mark question) then how many PEE points would i write about? in that question i tried to do 2 PEE's and i thought point = 1 mark evidence = 1 etc

?? help
    Not necessarily. It also depends on the quality of your explanation. I hadn't heard of PEE before! We used 'Observation, Quotation, Explanation', which is the same, but PEE is more amusing... (Oh dear...).

I would say for a six mark question you would need to get at least 3 well explained observations. Ask your teacher to see a mark scheme for the paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeaJay)
    Not necessarily. It also depends on the quality of your explanation. I hadn't heard of PEE before! We used 'Observation, Quotation, Explanation', which is the same, but PEE is more amusing... (Oh dear...).

I would say for a six mark question you would need to get at least 3 well explained observations. Ask your teacher to see a mark scheme for the paper.
    if i fail or don't achieve the grade i wanted, will i be able to resit my english exam?

ReputationRep:
    if i fail or don't achieve the grade i wanted, will i be able to resit my english exam?
    I'd really recommend trying to pass the first time you sit it (duh), but if you fail then there are usually options to resit your core subjects by doing a year at college focused on GCSE-level curriculum. It means you can't do any A levels until a year later though, and it might cause employers to ask why you had to resit. You can't just resit without doing a year unfortunately, because there may be different poems or a different focus on the exam, for instance.

From the level of the answer you posted though, I don't think you should have any trouble in the exam as long as you're careful with your answers (someone pointed out that you used "in fact", which while I read as another way to say 'however', could be seen as showing it's a fact!) Small things like those can lose you marks, but as long as your answer is overall well structured and thoughtful, you shouldn't have any issue.

ReputationRep:
    People have been known to resit GCSE English and/or maths during their As year, but I wouldn't recommend this as you have enough to be doing in this year as it is!

Just speak to your English teacher about what you can do. Perhaps they will be able to give you a few extra pointers.

Another idea is to pay for a couple of sessions with a really good tutor. I know this can be expensive, but it is far less than the costs (financial + stress) of having to do it all over again.....

If you care about it this much, I'm sure you'll get at least the C you need. I would have put the answer you gave at a B level, but then I tutor younger students and not those doing GCSEs, so I wouldn't really know for sure.

Edit: It might be more useful to the OP if the person who negged this explained why. I already admitted I'm no expert on GCSEs!

ReputationRep:
    yeah i didn't really know how the english resit would work out seeing as i'd have to be doing it during during my As year (that's if i get in)!

i just really hope i achieve well, especially in english! my parents expect so much of me, and i really don't want to let them down :{

thank you for your positive feedback though, i really appreciate it! :~)

ReputationRep:
    yeah i didn't really know how the english resit would work out seeing as i'd have to be doing it during during my As year (that's if i get in)!

i just really hope i achieve well, especially in english! my parents expect so much of me, and i really don't want to let them down :{

thank you for your positive feedback though, i really appreciate it! :~)
    Nae bother! Best of luck with your exams. Get as much help as you need, even if you feel like you're being a massive pain asking your teachers for it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Inquisitive)
    :facepalm: Don't be so facetious.
    you don't need to make me feel any more bad than i already do, JEEZ!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.